Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    The mother of all BBQ meats, beef brisket!

This is from last weekend and was probably the best BBQ I've ever made. This weekend I picked up a new rub and will be trying it on a rack of baby back ribs tomorrow after my last dog trial of the season.

Made some loin ribs (A.K.A. baby back) today and damn were they good.

Ribs rubbed yesterday and now ready for the BGE.

The BGE is getting up to temperature.

After one hour on the BGE.

Ready to eat.

Served with some homemade mac and cheese and steamed broccoli (a little over steamed).

I love my:

^^^ Nicely done. Next time, instead of steaming the broccoli, try oven roasting it - just toss with a little olive oil and salt/pepper, spread out on a cookie sheet (don't crowd it - use 2 sheets if necessary so it's not piled up) and roast at 400 degrees for a half hour or so, giving it a stir once or twice, until it's got some nice brown spots. It comes out sweet and crisp; kids wolf it down like candy (as do I).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    ^^^ Nicely done. Next time, instead of steaming the broccoli, try oven roasting it - just toss with a little olive oil and salt/pepper, spread out on a cookie sheet (don't crowd it - use 2 sheets if necessary so it's not piled up) and roast at 400 degrees for a half hour or so, giving it a stir once or twice, until it's got some nice brown spots. It comes out sweet and crisp; kids wolf it down like candy (as do I).
    Funny, I was out of town at a friend's house and they did this with broccoli- it's amazing. As soon as I got home I went to the store and bought some to make for myself.

Made some delicious burgers on mine last night. I threw some hickory on right before the burgers went on and I swear they actually had a little smoke ring when I cut them in half. I topped them with mushrooms and onions sauteed in butter and Worcestershire sauce and a nice fat slice of habanero pepper jack cheese. Fabulous!

Did you get yer egg yet Pegleg?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Roasted broccoli is the shit, as are roasted carrots.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Did you get yer egg yet Pegleg?
    Not yet. I was staring at the space on my patio where it should go yesterday, thinking about how much I want one. But it's a big investment for me that I can't really justify quite yet (especially after spending cash to build raised garden beds and a shed recently). Probably gonna have to wait until next season, unless some funds unexpectedly come my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Roasted broccoli is the shit, as are roasted carrots.
    Brussels sprouts and cauliflower are probably my favorite oven roasting veggies, along with broccoli, but any reasonably hardy vegetable will work. Try adding some curry powder with the salt as well.

Not to take away from the awesomeness of the ribs that were the focus of Grange's post, BTW. It just seems that the veggies should get the same love as the proteins, which isn't usually the case.

I do this all the time and agree that it is the shit, and super healthy (as very little olive oil is used). Gotta say, though, our ovens must be extremely different, as I find it is done after maybe 20 minutes, and at 30 would be shriveled and charred (unless the pieces were very large). So anyone trying this may want to test if you're reaching in there to stir (which, BTW, is unnecessary, I never move them around).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I do this all the time and agree that it is the shit, and super healthy (as very little olive oil is used). Gotta say, though, our ovens must be extremely different, as I find it is done after maybe 20 minutes, and at 30 would be shriveled and charred (unless the pieces were very large). So anyone trying this may want to test if you're reaching in there to stir (which, BTW, is unnecessary, I never move them around).
    Depends how done you like them - I like mine pretty browned and crisp - but yeah, it depends on the size of the pieces, the oven, etc. Just keep an eye on them. And stirring isn't strictly necessary, I just like them to get evenly browned and it helps to stir once or twice for that.

Back on topic... I have officially planted the seed with the wife that next time I'm up for some kind of big gift with family members chipping in (which might not be for a while), a large BGE should be in the #1 spot. Fingers crossed...

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Here's a medium for sale up in Windsor...
    Nice, but I'd be concerned that I'd have the same issue as the guy selling it. My general feeling is that, if I'm going to take the time to smoke meat, the smoker should be big enough that I can do a bunch of it at once. So I think I'd be looking at a large. Unless someone convinces me that I don't need it...

Unless someone convinces me that I don't need it...
    Nope, you need the large. More room for cooking and easier to get accessories. A guy I work with bought a medium from Costco and returned it because it was too small. If you take the plunge you might as well go all the way.

My boss had us up to his house in N GA. He had this grill-

The Primo XL. They make them north of ATL, so he picked up a dent and ding one for $900.

http://primogrill.com/
    I had never seen these before. They are oval, so you get a ton more space. You can also throw a 50/50 divider in there to do an indirect heat. This thing is huge.

I am getting the Lowes one. Too good a deal, and it gets me cooking right now.

Does anyone have experience using these in the mountains? We can't put one on the deck so it would have to be in the 'yard.' We used to keep the gas grill out there and didn't have problems, but were only using it during the daytime and not leaving it unattended for long. We have a deer trail between our house and the neighbors and have various animals moving about especially at night - bears, bobcats, mt lions, foxes, moose, deer, lynx, tons of chipmonk/voles, etc. I think this thing would attract them for miles while smoking overnight. Any thoughts or experience with this out there?

How come you can't put it on your deck?

The unit itself is fairly durable (and quite heavy), but if some big critter came and knocked it over in the night then there's probably a good chance that the impact would crack some of the internal ceramic components.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    The unit itself is fairly durable (and quite heavy), but if some big critter came and knocked it over in the night then there's probably a good chance that the impact would crack some of the internal ceramic components.
    ...and possibly set the forest on fire. I think I'd be pretty wary of leaving anything burning overnight outside, regardless of what it's in, if I lived up in the mountains.

Heart broken...Love my bride without question. Suggested BGE. Thought it worked well. Got a plug in smoker from Bass Pro Shops. Not quite what I expected. Am I wrong or is my lovely bride? Just asking. Thoughts appreciated. She meant well.

At Costco yesterday, they have this Vision Kamado with stand/side trays, & cover, for around $550 (I didn't write down the exact price, but it was under $600):
    http://www.visiongrills.com/kamado-classic/

Anyone have this one? Thick ceramic shell, larger grilling area inside than the medium BGE that Costco had a few weeks earlier.

I'm thinking of picking it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    looks pretty nice - I can't see where you'd go wrong as it looks like basically the same design as the BGE... it isn't rocket science, it is basically a thick ceramic meat kiln.

I have a medium BGE if you ever want to do a test cook on it!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Cool. Good to see that there is competition. Too bad we can't arrange a maggot side by side test/comparison, ala America's Test Kitchen.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 05-12-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Just found another one... the Grill Dome Infinity. They're in the FireCraft catalog that came with my Kansas City BBQ Society newsletter (yep, I'm a dork). Looks pretty much exactly like a BGE except all the hardware is stainless steel, the hinge is bigger/burlier, it comes in a bunch of different colors and it has a lifetime guaranty. Roughly the same price ($800 for the large). Reviews online are generally good.

Anyone who owns a BGE had any issues with the hardware corroding or the seal failing? That seems to be what some of these alternative manufacturers are claiming to improve.
    Last edited by Pegleg; 05-15-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Anyone who owns a BGE had any issues with the hardware corroding or the seal failing? That seems to be what some of these alternative manufacturers are claiming to improve.
    yes and anecdotally yes.

my hardware has some light rusting, nothing serious and I probably wont do anything about it. It lived in the Bay Area for 5 years and Reno for 2, haven't noticed any additional rust since I've been in Reno (duh)... my buddy who bought me his had his felt seal burn out while making pizza at 600deg or something like that. He replaced it and has made pizza again several times without incident.

(I could prob. wire brush off the rust, but it didn't bother me, until now...)
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Just found another one... the Grill Dome Infinity. They're in the FireCraft catalog that came with my Kansas City BBQ Society newsletter (yep, I'm a dork). Looks pretty much exactly like a BGE except all the hardware is stainless steel, the hinge is bigger/burlier, it comes in a bunch of different colors and it has a lifetime guaranty. Roughly the same price ($800 for the large). Reviews online are generally good.

None yet, and I'm in your neck of the woods. I regularly leave my BGE exposed to the weather (but cover it up for prolonged rain/snow) and I haven't had any issues yet. Mine is probably 4-5 years old, too.

I do not own one but enjoy these cooking threads. Saw this photo so a little spam and weak contribution.
    http://www.adn.com/2012/05/18/247029...iew=large_view
    off your knees Louie