Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Dang. The whole concept of a Maple Fatty smoked on the egg gets me excited!

And here's a bit of p0rn. 17.5 hours at 230ish to an internal temp of 195*. The swine is resting in foil now waiting for the guests to arrive.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Very interested to hear how it does at maintaining low heat for many hours, as required by a brisket. The primary benefit of the BGE is that the ceramic body is an extremely efficient heat insulator, so it can hold in almost all of the heat and maintain temperature really well. If this thing is made of stainless steel (which is much, much more conductive of heat than ceramic) and is lighter, then I'd imagine it's going to lose a lot more heat and not going to maintain temp nearly as well. But who knows, and if it does that's pretty awesome. Keep us posted...
    Brisket couldn't have gone better. I lit in the morning, got it to 250ish put the brisket in, went mountain biking, came back, still at 250. I forget exactly but it's double-walled steel with insulation in the middle. When I had it really hot the other day you could still easily touch the outside.

I should mention, I read on another forum that the temperature guage that's built in is less than 100% accurate, and I don't have one of them there fancy remote thermometers you people do, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

OK, Cruiser, you sold me. I've NEVER managed to keep a pork butt or brisket on my cheapo offset smoker for anything approaching 17 hours - usually after about 6 hours I'm having to put a new load of charcoal in and by 10 I'm tired of constantly adjusting the vents, poking the coals, etc. and just wrap it in foil and finish it in the oven.

Next step: purchase black ski mask and obtain funds to buy BGE.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    OK, Cruiser, you sold me. I've NEVER managed to keep a pork butt or brisket on my cheapo offset smoker for anything approaching 17 hours - usually after about 6 hours I'm having to put a new load of charcoal in and by 10 I'm tired of constantly adjusting the vents, poking the coals, etc. and just wrap it in foil and finish it in the oven.

Next step: purchase black ski mask and obtain funds to buy BGE.
    Don't forget all the eggcessories you will be wanting to buy. Platesetters, pizza stones, remote thermometer, instant read thermometer, wok, and the list goes on........ Make sure you hit a place with enough cash to get it all at once. Having to repeat the obtaining of funds increases the chance of getting caught!

How's the Green Egg imitator from Lowes working out?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Dang. The whole concept of a Maple Fatty smoked on the egg gets me excited!

And here's a bit of p0rn. 17.5 hours at 230ish to an internal temp of 195*. The swine is resting in foil now waiting for the guests to arrive.

Nice!

BTW - what is that nut and bolt deal on the grate?
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Most of us are trying to have fun, not be Luke Skywalker and blow up the fucking death star, save the galaxy, and be the coolest Jedi at the next movie premier.

^^^ That's just a couple of bolts to raise the grid up to gasket level when it's sitting on the fire ring. It's nice for cooking more delicate stuff like halved chickens or pork tenderloin.

Here's today's special. Baby back ribs. Trying the Car Wash Mike's method with my own special "Jimmy Leg Dry Rub".

2hrs in:
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

What's the total time? Those look close.

It's my first time trying this method so I guess we'll see what happens. But they're supposed to go for about 3 hours at like 220ish. Then you bump them up to like 250ish for another hour and a half. Once an hour you lift the lid and spray them liberally with half apple juice and half apple cider. After about four and a half hours you pull them, hit 'em with sauce and finish them for a half hour at 275ish without the rack.

I have high hopes...

Sent from my hot tub with my Galaxy Nexus using TGR Forums

So how did you like the car wash mike recipe? That is my go to rib recipe and it has never let me down!

Something different for last nights cook, home made bread and a veggie lasagna.

Dang. You're living right Flounder! That looks like a fine spread.

The ribs were good but not great. I really struggle with ribs. I always want to cook them the whole time in the smoker but they always either get dry or they aren't tender enough. Last night they weren't tender enough for me. I guess I just have to keep experimenting with the temp and time. I like 'em to just about fall off the bone, ya know?

that's good wine
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

The ribs were good but not great. I really struggle with ribs. I always want to cook them the whole time in the smoker but they always either get dry or they aren't tender enough. Last night they weren't tender enough for me. I guess I just have to keep experimenting with the temp and time. I like 'em to just about fall off the bone, ya know?
    How long did you end up cooking them for and what temp? If the weren't dry then they probably could have stayed on longer. I use a bend test where you grabs rack of ribs with tongs at one end. When the rack starts to bend towards 90 degrees they are ready to be finished. Another factor could be your ribs. I have found that Costco has great ribs and that is what I use. Very meaty and the membrane is already removed.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    that's good wine
    Gotta have something to offset the veggies! Good wine is healthy right?

Dang. You're living right Flounder! That looks like a fine spread.

Two hours at about 225 degrees, placed right on the grill. Take them off, wrap them in aluminum foil, put apple juice or beer in the foil wrap, and put them back on the grill for another hour. That should about do it... the best ribs I've ever had have come off my grill, not from a restaurant.

Got mine just over a month ago and have been doing at least one shoulder a weekend, and usually throwing a chicken on there when the pork is resting in foil. Great Burgers last night, steaks have been killer too.

Question though, I tried a brisket and it came out like jerky not sure where I went wrong.
    Lit the egg, got the temp to hold steady at 210 and put in the Shoulder and Brisket both with a digital probe in each. After a few hours when the brisket hit 175 I pulled it and wrapped it in foil. had a nice smoke ring but was the consistency of Jerky, kinda bummed but it still tasted pretty good...

Where did I go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    Question though, I tried a brisket and it came out like jerky not sure where I went wrong.
    Lit the egg, got the temp to hold steady at 210 and put in the Shoulder and Brisket both with a digital probe in each. After a few hours when the brisket hit 175 I pulled it and wrapped it in foil. had a nice smoke ring but was the consistency of Jerky, kinda bummed but it still tasted pretty good...

Where did I go wrong?
    1. 175 isn't high enough; the harder fat really gets melting at 180 or so, and then you need to let it sit at that temp for a while to melt it all into the meat and make it moist. With brisket you can't really go by temp - gotta just feel it to see when it's getting tender.

2. Did the brisket have a 1/4" or so fat cap on top? Did it have some nice veins of fat running through it? Did you buy a point cut (not the flat cut)? All of these ensure that you have enough fat to keep the meat moist.

3. Previously frozen briskets aren't as juicy. Try to get a fresh one, if possible.

I'd guess it's some combination of the above issues. Looks like you gotta fire up another brisket this weekend!
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

It was a point cut as that was all the butcher had with no fat cap on it. Gonna have to try to track one of those down this weekend. I was blown away when I opened the egg last night to clean it up for grilling how much unused charcoal was still in the egg. its amazing how efficient it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    It was a point cut as that was all the butcher had with no fat cap on it.
    Does this mean you tried to avoid the fat cap? You want that...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Does this mean you tried to avoid the fat cap? You want that...
    no that was all he had, I'll track one down with a cap this weekend

RE: ribs - I have tried both ways and the best results for me have been to cook in foil 1st for 3 hrs with the apple juice/cider in the foil - then take 'em out and finish on the grill for 20-30 mins to get a smoke flavor + bark outer layer. Fall off the bone every time this way. Had good racks from Costco (still had membrane on mine) and even Safeway had some good racks a few weeks ago (also still with membrane) Gotta peel that thing off, muy importante!!!

RE: brisket - what the other guys said about the fat cap X 1000! You need it and really need it to be on top so it bastes the meat for you while cooking. I only have a medium egg so if it is a full brisket I have to coil it up a bit into a meat-cano shape with the point up and fat cap up&out... works great and IIRC last time I did it at 195 (my buddy has one of the digi-temp fan units)... 14 hrs to heaven!!!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    RE: ribs - I have tried both ways and the best results for me have been to cook in foil 1st for 3 hrs with the apple juice/cider in the foil - then take 'em out and finish on the grill for 20-30 mins to get a smoke flavor + bark outer layer. Fall off the bone every time this way. Had good racks from Costco (still had membrane on mine) and even Safeway had some good racks a few weeks ago (also still with membrane) Gotta peel that thing off, muy importante!!!
    I'm going to have to try this... thanks. Do you leave the temp the same when you take the ribs out of the foil?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm going to have to try this... thanks. Do you leave the temp the same when you take the ribs out of the foil?
    I open the vent up a bit, so it starts at the same temp and gradually warms to give a little burnt/cracklin finish over the 20-30 mins. 20 minutes is plenty for 1 or 2 racks, 30 if you're fully loaded and I usually flip once with about 10 minutes to go meat side down to really finish the meaty side...

not 100% sure of the final temp but I bet it gets up to 300 by the time they are out... if I didn't like the bark and wanted to keep 'em soft I wouldn't increase at all...

edit: for the in-foil part, I cook at 225 or so for about 3hrs... doesn't seem to be rocket science with this method - you can always adjust cooking/finishing time up or down if they need. I've done 300deg for 2 hrs, 200deg for 3+hrs, and just about everything in between, that's the beauty of the foil - lots of leeway and they can't get dry!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    How's the Green Egg imitator from Lowes working out?

just picked one up yesterday...will report back with more details after the weekend. I am in the process of seasoning the grates right now and it got up to temp with lump charcoal in about 15 minutes! going to either do a few tri tips or chickens tomorrow.

Myles- do yourself a favor and get an electric starter... SO much easier and you don't have to worry about wind (which is a problem here in CO).

I'm cooking four racks of baby backs tomorrow afternoon, can't wait.