Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    @Pegleg/Grange ~2hrs / pound is in line with suggested. Gotta get the internal temp to 195*-205* which takes a while when you're only running the cooker in the 250*ish range.
    I've always heard 1 to 1.5 hrs per pound, but there are so many variables I guess it takes however long it takes. Nice pork pron indeed!
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Here are a couple of different shots. The first is the healthy option to lots of pork. Just a straight organic chicken breast coated in Dizzy Dust. I absolutely love the way the egg grills up a chicken breast, juicy and tender and never dry.

This was tonight's dinner. Bacon cheeseburger pizza! It was delicious.

As for the earlier pork butt question the time frame of 17 hours for an 8 lb pork butt is about what I do. I run at 225 degrees and the butt does hit a plateau for a couple of hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332550355.458710.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	112933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332550378.955991.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	112934  

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    There's another (Chinese made) alternative out there:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Picked one up at Lowes the other weekend for $300. The reviews are very good, haven't used a BGE myself, but so far it seems pretty damm close at ~1/3 the cost, maybe more if you include the stand, table cost of the egg. Anyway it seems decent and the price is right, I'll report back after doing a few slow cooks this weekend.
    Very interested in your review. BGE has been on the list for a while, but always find it tough to justify with a perfectly good gas grill sitting out back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I've always heard 1 to 1.5 hrs per pound, but there are so many variables I guess it takes however long it takes. Nice pork pron indeed!
    That's about what most people have told me. I was at about 230 for most of the cook. I talked with a guy that does BBQ competitions and he thought 18 hours was a long time. I figure the injection had something to do with it.

Checked out the Char Grill version at Lowes.

Like:
    Price is right.
    The Color- it is avail in black or red, and all my patio stuff is red. Plus, it look sweet.
    The grill surface- cast iron with a removable knockout in the center for feeding more charcoal. This is a great idea.
    Handles, gauges, etc look stout.
    Has a swing out warming rack that is absolutely key.
    Not ceramic- lighter than the BGE, but heavy enough to not move.

Dislike-
    Shelves
    Legs and wheels will rust out in less than a year here in FL
    Not ceramic- will never hold heat as well as the BGE, but with a little more work, it will be just fine.

With a price of $299 at Lowes, I could buy 3 of these before I touched a BGE XL. The grilling surface is about equal to the large BGE- probably a little smaller. I am going to build a nice table for it, and get it done. Will post back later.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Checked out the Char Grill version at Lowes.

Like:
    Price is right.
    The Color- it is avail in black or red, and all my patio stuff is red. Plus, it look sweet.
    The grill surface- cast iron with a removable knockout in the center for feeding more charcoal. This is a great idea.
    Handles, gauges, etc look stout.
    Has a swing out warming rack that is absolutely key.
    Not ceramic- lighter than the BGE, but heavy enough to not move.

Dislike-
    Shelves
    Legs and wheels will rust out in less than a year here in FL
    Not ceramic- will never hold heat as well as the BGE, but with a little more work, it will be just fine.

With a price of $299 at Lowes, I could buy 3 of these before I touched a BGE XL. The grilling surface is about equal to the large BGE- probably a little smaller. I am going to build a nice table for it, and get it done. Will post back later.
    Bought one
    Second everything said here, although it seems to hold heat just fine. The grill surface is money. I haven't done a really low and slow cook, but holding it ~325 wasn't a problem in the least for a couple hours. For this price, if you don't have a Big green egg already you can't go wrong.

Whatever grill you have I highly recommend this book http://www.amazon.com/Serious-Barbec.../dp/1401323065 by Adam Perry Lang. His recipes can be a bit involved in steps and ingredients, but I've never been disappointed by what comes out of there. Alot of them are geared towards the BGE/ceramic cooker as well.

Don't know how this compares but my Costco had a medium egg for 579. It also came with a metal stand and probably some other stuff

Yep, seen them at Costco too for the same price.
    watch out for snakes

How large is this cheaper Lowes item, relative to Egg sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    How large is this cheaper Lowes item, relative to Egg sizes?
    Char griller = 306 sq in, but it also comes with an upper rack which adds another 160 and I can't really see using that often.

XL egg = 452 sq in
    L egg = 262
    Last edited by bsavery; 04-02-2012 at 02:10 PM.

I'm searching Lowes' website and can't find this Char-Griller Kamado cooker - they have the cover for it, but not the actual unit. Is it a just-in-stores kinda thing, or are they discontinuing it?

1/2 the price, but Stainless vs. Ceramic. You can find them on Amazon. Free shipping too w/ Plus acct.

Not dure what the point is w/the stainless. Whole point is you get the Ceramic radiating even heat.
    Last edited by Tippster; 04-02-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Yup!

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Heading to the local Ace in the morning to get my BGE ordered. God damned interweb forums. Making it seem like a really good idea to spend $800 on a big fucking green ceramic smoker. I could probably buy a whole house with live-in domestic help in rural Cameroon for that kind of coin...
    Well you did ask about it...but agreed! Looks delicious, Cruiser!

How have you not fried your gasket yet? The egg looks well used but the gasket looks pristine.

Yup!

What kind of thermometer setup are you using there? Just two separate probe units, or one of them fancy Alton Brown rigs that has two probes in one unit?

This thread sucks. It's slowly pushing me towards the BGE, despite total lack of available funds... "egging me on," you might say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I'm searching Lowes' website and can't find this Char-Griller Kamado cooker - they have the cover for it, but not the actual unit. Is it a just-in-stores kinda thing, or are they discontinuing it?

Just in Lowes today, and saw this thing. Not as heavy, and the smoker plate is optional. Yes, 299.

Anybody slow cook on it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Just in Lowes today, and saw this thing. Not as heavy, and the smoker plate is optional. Yes, 299.

Anybody slow cook on it yet?
    Kinda. Call it a medium cook. Couple hours at < 300 with a diffuser plate. It did great at that, and could have done much lower if I wanted. I'm going to do a brisket this sunday, will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    I'm going to do a brisket this sunday, will report back.
    Very interested to hear how it does at maintaining low heat for many hours, as required by a brisket. The primary benefit of the BGE is that the ceramic body is an extremely efficient heat insulator, so it can hold in almost all of the heat and maintain temperature really well. If this thing is made of stainless steel (which is much, much more conductive of heat than ceramic) and is lighter, then I'd imagine it's going to lose a lot more heat and not going to maintain temp nearly as well. But who knows, and if it does that's pretty awesome. Keep us posted...

@Pegleg That's the Maverick ET732. It's got the probe with clip for the grill temp and the longer probe for the meat. Also has a wireless receiver that shows both temps at a range of up to 300'. It's pretty slick...

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wirel.../dp/B004IMA718

Thinking of attempting a pork shoulder for Easter. I've smoked a bunch of them before but this will be the first attempt on the egg. Should be fun to see if I can get the temp to sit at 225* or so for the full 16+ hours.

@Flounder I haven't really done any super high heat cooks yet with it. I've cooked a bunch of times on it but I haven't seared any steaks or made any pizzas yet. Mostly just chicken, burgers, and pork tenderloin.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Have a fricking quesadilla! Sometimes you need a bit more healthy food so tonight was black beans and cheese quesadillas.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333761166.769083.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	113827  

@Pegleg That's the Maverick ET732. It's got the probe with clip for the grill temp and the longer probe for the meat. Also has a wireless receiver that shows both temps at a range of up to 300'. It's pretty slick...

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wirel.../dp/B004IMA718

Thinking of attempting a pork shoulder for Easter. I've smoked a bunch of them before but this will be the first attempt on the egg. Should be fun to see if I can get the temp to sit at 225* or so for the full 16+ hours.

@Flounder I haven't really done any super high heat cooks yet with it. I've cooked a bunch of times on it but I haven't seared any steaks or made any pizzas yet. Mostly just chicken, burgers, and pork tenderloin.

I've got the previous generation Maverick and love it. Range isn't as good, but it is accurate. I've cooked a couple pork butts on the BGE and was able to maintain a fairly steady temperature around 230. I use Wicked Good Charcoal because it comes in large chunks and lasts a long time. The last butt went 18 hours and there was still some charcoal left over for another cook.

Tomorrow I've going to make a naked maple fatty for a baked bean recipe I got from a different message board. After my dog trial season ends next month I'm planning on smoking a brisket. I want the whole packer so I can make burnt ends.

You having that charcoal shipped in Grange? I've just been using Royal Oak since it's pretty readily available. But most of the pieces are pretty small. What's a naked maple fatty? If it has anything to do with pork then I'm in.

Oh and I'm with you, packer trim is the only way to buy big cuts. Otherwise my fancy butcher knife just sits there waiting for something to break down.

So I put a whole bone-in pork shoulder on last night right at 9:00. Got the egg stabilized at a grill temp of 230* and then I went to bed. The Maverick woke me up twice to tell me that the egg had dropped down to 215* so I got up and adjusted the venting just a bit and quickly recovered the few degrees that it lost. Now I'm 14 hours into the smoke and the meat is hanging around in the mid 170's with the grill temp still hovering happily in the mid 230's. Damn, I'm loving going low and slow on the egg!

No pics yet because I haven't lifted the lid since I put the swine on last night but I'll be sure to snap one when I pull it off this afternoon. I'm guessing that hunk of pig is lookin' purty nice right about now.

You having that charcoal shipped in Grange? I've just been using Royal Oak since it's pretty readily available. But most of the pieces are pretty small. What's a naked maple fatty? If it has anything to do with pork then I'm in.

Oh and I'm with you, packer trim is the only way to buy big cuts. Otherwise my fancy butcher knife just sits there waiting for something to break down.
    No I can get Wicked Good Charcoal at the BBQ store where I bought my BGE.

I'm heading over to my sister's and brother-in-law's place for Easter. It will be a potluck style dinner and I decided to make some Peach Bourbon Baked Beans from a recipe I got on another message board. They are great.

If anyone is interested here's the recipe. It's from a guy with the handle Wampus.

Wampus's Peach Bourbon Baked Beans
    Ingredients:
    2 cans (15 oz) of cooked Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
    4 slices of thick sliced bacon, chopped
    1 lb maple fatty (smoked ahead of time), crumbled/diced
    1 med onion, diced
    1/2 bell pepper (I like orange or yellow)
    1 can (21 oz) peach pie filling (run knife through can to cut up larger pieces into smaller pieces)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup Famous Dave's Apricot Bourbon BBQ Sauce
    2 TBS worschestershire sauce
    1/3 cup bourbon
    1 lg clove garlic, minced
    2 TBS yellow mustard
    1 TBS rub (I like SM Sweet & Spicy)
    1 TSP Ground Cayenne Pepper (OPTIONAL)

Directions:
    -Smoke Fatty (can be smoked well before), crumble or dice
    -Brown Bacon in skillet (about 1/2 way)
    -Add onion & pepper - cook until just carmelized
    -Slowly add bourbon & garlic - simmer until caramelized
    -Remove from heat
    -Add remaining ingredients to skillet, mix thoroughly
    -Put in pan and place in smoker
    -Smoke for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally (I smoke for 4 hours)

NOTE: I've had trouble finding Famous Dave's Apricot Bourbon Sauce lately. I've substituted lately with any of these:

• Famous Dave's Thick 'n Sassy
    • Big Butz Hot

I'd suggest anything with a bit of a snap to it. Blues Hog would be farkin great too, I'd probably add the cayenne if I used that.
    The beans I won with this past weekend also had about 1 tsp of ground cayenne pepper in them, I've listed that as optional. If used without the cayenne, they're really not spicy beans at all, but have just a little zing to them.

Maple Fatty Recipe:
    Purchase Maple Sausage Roll

1. Fire smoker or set up grill for indirect
    2. Unwrap Maple Sausage Roll
    3. Place on smoker/grill grate
    4. Smoke at 225-250 for 2 hours