Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    It's pricey, but, damn, that thing is heavy. If I ever buy a place and have a permanent spot on a sturdy deck, well, maybe.....
    True kiddo. His was moved once by me from Denver up to Evergreen. Told him next time find some Cans off craigs to move it. Also for cooking burgers or chicken breast during the week I use my Weber, 12 yrs old and still grills great. Think the starter crapped out year 1.

If you need to move the BGE, just disassemble it. Take the top off, then remove the ceramic bowl, and voila... much easier to move.

Anyone used the big steel keg? Similar idea, made out of insulated steel and a bit cheaper. Also comes with stand, table, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bubba-keg_home.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	475.2 KB 
ID:	111814

I can't imagine the big steel keg is nearly as efficient at retaining heat and regulating temperature as a BGE or Kamado.

Quote Originally Posted by thaar View Post
    I can't imagine the big steel keg is nearly as efficient at retaining heat and regulating temperature as a BGE or Kamado.
    Random people on the internet seem to think it fairly efficient http://grillandbarrel.squarespace.co...green-egg.html Although maybe not as easy to control as BGE.

I dunno, might save a few $ and go with the big steel keg.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So, just to get something straight - this thing works fine as a grill, right? A lot of emphasis on smoking here. Should I keep the Weber parked next to it for faster cooking?
    The BGE works great as a grill as well. It will get to over 700 degrees or higher, which is great for steak. I bought a cast iron grill and get some nice marks when I make a steak. Get a good pizza stone and make pizza on it as well. You can also get an adapter and cold smoke cheese and fish.

I smoked some wings in the BGE this weekend.

After 2 hours on the BGE at 275 using oak and cherry for smoke.

After 2 minutes in the deep fryer using peanut oil and a little BBQ sauce for a glaze.

I would LOVE a BGE but just can't justify the cost, too poor for splurges like that right now. But I've been eyeing some of the electric smokers, since they can be relatively cheap (more like $200-300) and supposedly allow you to stick a brisket/pork shoulder in there at 10pm and leave it till morning with the temp and amount of smoke constantly maintained. Anyone else used these? Any recommendations, or pros or cons?
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I would LOVE a BGE but just can't justify the cost, too poor for splurges like that right now. But I've been eyeing some of the electric smokers, since they can be relatively cheap (more like $200-300) and supposedly allow you to stick a brisket/pork shoulder in there at 10pm and leave it till morning with the temp and amount of smoke constantly maintained. Anyone else used these? Any recommendations, or pros or cons?
    I have an electric Brinkman smoker that I got upon recommendation of my mother-in-law. I think it does a good job of maintaining a good temperature, but I haven't really pushed it past a six hour smoking session (heh.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

My dad smoked a Boston Pork Butt this past weekend for TEN hours (at around 225*) in his Big Green Egg... and he didn't have to add any more charcoal. Ridiculous.

Heading to the local Ace in the morning to get my BGE ordered. God damned interweb forums. Making it seem like a really good idea to spend $800 on a big fucking green ceramic smoker. I could probably buy a whole house with live-in domestic help in rural Cameroon for that kind of coin...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Heading to the local Ace in the morning to get my BGE ordered. God damned interweb forums. Making it seem like a really good idea to spend $800 on a big fucking green ceramic smoker. I could probably buy a whole house with live-in domestic help in rural Cameroon for that kind of coin...
    Don't forget to budget for the stand, or the materials to build one yourself, and a cover (since the stand will likely be made of wood). Also the various accessories (pizza stone, rib rack, double-decker rack so that you can cook enough for parties), etc. Don't fool yourself - you ain't getting out of there for anywhere near $800.

What size are you guys using? is like buying a boat when you constantly wish you had gotten one 3 feet bigger?

I have the large, and it's plenty big for what I cook. The only reason I'd consider the XL (which weighs over 200 lbs, I believe) is if I were cooking for a big family or tons of neighbors regularly. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure three dozen wings or seven racks of ribs is enough for my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I have the large, and it's plenty big for what I cook. The only reason I'd consider the XL (which weighs over 200 lbs, I believe) is if I were cooking for a big family or tons of neighbors regularly. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure three dozen wings or seven racks of ribs is enough for my friends.
    You clearly seem to know what you are doing with these things.

Seems like I need a plate setter as well? Shit adds up with these things....

Gonna build a nice little table to match the deck in a week or two. But'm gonna cook chicken on it tonight!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

^^^ (Wipes drool from chin, checks bank account balance, sobs quietly.)

I have an older version of this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Maste...h-All+Products

I love it. You just set the timer and temp and set it and forget it. Most recipies I've seen for electric smokers recomend only short smoke periods, so constant smoke isn't an issue. For ribs, for example, I only use a cup of chips. Maybe ad a half cup at a time. I recomend one of these for a cheap option.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I have an older version of this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Maste...h-All+Products

I love it. You just set the timer and temp and set it and forget it. Most recipies I've seen for electric smokers recomend only short smoke periods, so constant smoke isn't an issue. For ribs, for example, I only use a cup of chips. Maybe ad a half cup at a time. I recomend one of these for a cheap option.
    Have you had any issues with the heating element failing or other problems? I looked at those a while ago but was scared off by a lot of negative reviews that seemed to indicate they weren't very durable/reliable.

I made the same table as Smmokan but added a granite insert and wheels so you move it around, made it out of mahogany as well. I have a full set of plans and instructions for making this table if anyone needs them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3624.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	112774
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

Have you had any issues with the heating element failing or other problems? I looked at those a while ago but was scared off by a lot of negative reviews that seemed to indicate they weren't very durable/reliable.
    No. I read those reviews too and was gun shy as well, but my dad saw one on sale for $150 and snagged it for me as a gift. It's been out on the covered patio for a year and a half and it's been working great.

I made an 8lb. pork butt this past weekend. I put it on the BGE at 11:30 PM Saturday Night had to pull at 4:50 PM Sunday because I had to got to a family member's house for dinner. I wrapped it and put it in a towel lined cooler to rest for the trip and then shredded it about 5:45 PM so it barely had an hour to rest. The damn thing was still good.

^^^ Wait, so you smoked an 8-lb pork butt for 17 hours? At what temp? That seems like a really long time, especially since it probably stopped absorbing any smoke flavor after the first few hours.

There's another (Chinese made) alternative out there:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Picked one up at Lowes the other weekend for $300. The reviews are very good, haven't used a BGE myself, but so far it seems pretty damm close at ~1/3 the cost, maybe more if you include the stand, table cost of the egg. Anyway it seems decent and the price is right, I'll report back after doing a few slow cooks this weekend.

@Pegleg/Grange ~2hrs / pound is in line with suggested. Gotta get the internal temp to 195*-205* which takes a while when you're only running the cooker in the 250*ish range. Prolly true that you've got as much smoke in it as it's gonna get by the end of the first few hours or so. But a little extra contact can't hurt and it's gotta sit in there and keep cooking anyway, right?

Oh and damn Grange, that's some fine pork p0rn right there! Well played sir!