Question for the knee droppers

What is the general opinion of mixed camber and mixed sidecut designs for tele?

I'm specifically interested in thoughts on tail rocker. Good, bad, indifferent?

I'm also interested in the tele view on length on rockered skis. As an alpine skier, a longer rockered ski makes sense, is inks the same for tele?

Also, what would be a suitable ski length for a Tele chic 5'9, #170 of muscle and a ripping skier. She's currently on a 168 cambered ski and she feels like it is a bit short for her.

I'm thinking 175 ish for a rockered ski for her.

Thanks for the ideas.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

there's a pretty good thread over on Telemark Tips concerning this although it's probably a page or two back by now

in essence there is a lot of mixed opinion

personally, I ski aggressively both fixed and free heel, but know my limits and don't like tail rocker on a tele ski

early rise or tip rocker with flat tails seems to be the way to go for a soft snow ski mounted tele

i've only teled on cambered skis or tip/tail rockered skis (praxis protest and l138 r1). never skied on tip rockered only skis. i love the rockered tails that i've used (looseness of the turn, the pivot in tight trees, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound). it didn't take much for me to get used to these ski. i've been told that some of the things that i love from these skis would not be there with a tip rockered only ski. i think i'm in a minority regarding my love, which is fine for me.

of course, not all rocker ski design is the same; thee protest and the l138 have relatively large turn radius and a fair bit of taper in the tip and the tail. maybe i got lucky with my love affair.

i'm 5'10", 145lbs. my l138 are 192cm, which feel good to me. cambered ski lengths that i enjoyed (and use) are "180" explosives, 185 dps w95, 184 10.ex.

cheers

Tip and tail rocker make weighting the lead and rear ski much easier in soft snow. You also get the easy pivot turns and less tip dive transitioning into the soft snow. I would say build a sweet ski and it will work. Tele is just a turn after all. I've enjoyed just about any ski tele that I have alpine except maybe the stiff ass race type ski, they don't suit my style anyway.

Thanks guys. My friend has never skied rockered stuff before and was unsure what she wants. This will help.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

In my opinion it depends on the skier and the terrain. Does she like to let it ride? or mostly into small to medium turns in a controlled manner? I tele on TRO and tip and tail rockered skis, granted the shape plays a hudge roll, does the flex. I'd advocate against super soft skis with rocker because I think it is not particularly useful unless you just get to ski super deep blower (if that is the case I hate you). The trick becomes skiing centered, no poodling or tail gunning, get over the skis (mount 'em like alpine maybe -1 at most) and enjoy.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    In my opinion it depends on the skier and the terrain. Does she like to let it ride? or mostly into small to medium turns in a controlled manner? I tele on TRO and tip and tail rockered skis, granted the shape plays a hudge roll, does the flex. I'd advocate against super soft skis with rocker because I think it is not particularly useful unless you just get to ski super deep blower (if that is the case I hate you). The trick becomes skiing centered, no poodling or tail gunning, get over the skis (mount 'em like alpine maybe -1 at most) and enjoy.
    ^ this x2. so many variables> no "one" right answer for everyone. I have liked and disliked both.
    "Not all who wander are lost"