Check Out Our Shop

Tahoe Gets Some - Kirkwood Pow Edit

Just a little action from our favorite Vail property, now that we all voted and decided to go ahead and install the snow this week..

Thursday was a classic KW day, so just hoping to represent it well. First edit ever and second day on skis this year, so I am prepared for a violent, only-at-TGR, good old-fashioned raping.

Have at it, boys.

I know settings were not were not ideal, but I'll get that sorted. Most curious if people feel showing some occasional longer lines like this gives something back toward the feel of what we get out of ripping pow, or if it just feels tedious.

Beautiful skiing. No hesitation in the technical sections is impressive.

What's with the subliminal message at 2:45? Nice skiing nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by CMSIV View Post
    What's with the subliminal message at 2:45? Nice skiing nonetheless.
    It's in the editing program as a three-second shot (and previews fine), but the actual render took almost all of it out..
    I'm uploading another render now to try to fix that bit of weirdness.

Nice edit. Funny thing is, I was with you until 2:30 or so, and I am still wondering where some of those lines are. Thursday was the best of the season IMO.

solid skiing, a bit long, could trim some fat with the tree turns, not much going on there.
    rule of thumb -- put your best stuff early on in the edit, i feel like a quick snap shot run down would capture all the little airs with no extra junk

nice job, good to see tahoe boys getting some

yeah buddy!
    Last edited by MashedPotatoes; 03-03-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hgh.mtn.man. View Post
    solid skiing, a bit long, could trim some fat with the tree turns, not much going on there.
    rule of thumb -- put your best stuff early on in the edit, i feel like a quick snap shot run down would capture all the little airs with no extra junk

nice job, good to see tahoe boys getting some
    Got it.
    I'll take what you said as gospel. I've just seen so many POV's of cherry-picked cuts stacked into two shaky turns and a huck that it's begun to bug me. Just doesn't feel like dynamic skiing, in a way. Maybe that's just me (?).

But if longer runs don't play, they don't play, and that's on me. Thanks for checking it out and weighing in.

I find the 'follow-cam' to be something that conveys the feel of skiing (to me), and something I want to do more of -- but inexperience with the camera distance meant what I shot of Mashed Potatoes, Ottime, SuPu, and Jamie pretty much sucked, so sorry guys.

I agree with Ottime: Best day of the year.

i liked. longer runs are cool if it's good video but longer for the sake of showing a full run isn't worth it. get one long untracked one and then make the rest out of the shorter outtakes, which works best anyway when people are taking pictures too. wish i coulda been in the resort but it scares me now.
    and yeah its hard to get used to how close you have to be for a follow cam. it looks like they completely lost you when in reality they only moved ahead another 15'.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I liked it. Looks like it was a ton o'fun.

^^^^What he and 4matic said. The opening sequence was nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnB View Post
    I'll take what you said as gospel.
    at your own risk, i don't suggest it

I'm more of a MTV generation guy...I need quick edits & fast music, but that's me. Not that I didn't watch the whole thing. Your videos over the past couple of years have been pretty rad.

If the long runs are silky smooth and untracked, I'd leave them in....otherwise I would use the best moments. Its all relative, footage at a place like Kirkwood is pretty mini-golf anyway.

What are you using the film? The flat light is a killer on the pov cam's ISO settings, so I would try to increase the exposure/contrast in post a bit. Your angle is fine in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    ...Not that I didn't watch the whole thing. Your videos over the past couple of years have been pretty rad.
    Ha. People are always mixing me up with SeanHav.

Chatted with him about it in Monte Wolf's during the last (only other??) pow cycle; told him I'd like to continue to take credit for all the awesome lines he rips, if that's okay.

You remember me better as Tron from LBD.

For the record, I had little-to-nothing to do with the making of Tron2: Rise of the Mediocre Fucking Sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    ...If the long runs are silky smooth and untracked, I'd leave them in....otherwise I would use the best moments. Its all relative, footage at a place like Kirkwood is pretty mini-golf anyway.

What are you using the film? The flat light is a killer on the pov cam's ISO settings, so I would try to increase the exposure/contrast in post a bit. Your angle is fine in my opinion.
    Yup, it's mini-golf but TBH, Kodak-size stuff is for sure as big as I'll go anymore, so no worries. Huck-neck in my twenties has become huck-aw-fuck-I-can't-even-walk-today-without-crying, in my 40's..

So worth it, though.

ContourHD 1080, set for what I guessed would work for a pow day, at exposure of +3, sharpness +3, contrast of 60.
    Was thinking of resetting for exposure of +2, sharpness +2, contrast of 65.

Already F'd with the footage in post to adjust contrast, and took it as far as I could without producing too many artifacts like pixellation, and center-halo-looking stuff. So yeah, I've gotta screw with the cam more -- any settings you want to pass on I'd love to hear about it. Settings I got were from the big Contour thread you posted in, but that discussion died out without anyone getting too specific about a real snowy, flat-light day..

Thanks 6'er and others who have had good stuff to pitch my way. Much obliged!

haha....sorry Tron

I guess I replied too quickly.

I've gone through all the Contour cameras...now on the Contour+. I've been using -1 Exposure, +1 sharpness, and maybe 57 contrast as of late, but just bumped the exposure to 0 for filming yesterday. With my first Contour, the footage liked to get blown out, so I actually lowered the exposure...but in the past couple months, the new camera seems to have a better handle on over exposing and most of my footage came out darker than I would have thought.

4:40 = !

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

sweet vid! awesome memories from a fun day of pow!!!

and yeah, what Chad said. But I also encourage mirroring some/all of the footage to make some stashes even less recognizable.

damn kirkwood looks fun!!

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickski View Post
    damn kirkwood looks fun!!
    I know people that live near there that would offer couch space.