Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best TED Talks?

As far as the lot of you inbred paint lickers who think TED is trendy intelligence, the discussions, when framed by a background in the topic can actually be fairly nuanced and informative. The architecture related ones I posted previously are actually dealing with some pretty heavy handed notions of design without demagoguery and at the same time deals with most basic of understanding of design for the rest of the non design crowd. I see them as the thesis or the artifact of the speakers knowledge, not the process. They aren't meant to be academia. If you can't figure out how to learn from other peoples intelligence then you should probably wrap up that MBA and suck at life for the next 30 years and die early of a cheese-in-a-can induced heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by skiATL View Post
    http://www.ted.com/talks/ellen_dunha..._suburbia.html

Kinda biased because she is one of my teachers, but her book is pretty awesome, and its something important.
    i had her in undergrad; she's very sharp! i liked her

here's another trendy one that everyone will love at the party. especially the neuroscientist and assoc of movement therapists annual sware.

http://www.ted.com/talks/daniel_wolp...or_brains.html

I like these two, mostly because of what I do for a living...but check out Aimee Mullins. She's a bilateral amputee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ0iMulicgg

http://www.ted.com/talks/aimee_mulli...adversity.html

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    As far as the lot of you inbred paint lickers who think TED is trendy intelligence, the discussions, when framed by a background in the topic can actually be fairly nuanced and informative. The architecture related ones I posted previously are actually dealing with some pretty heavy handed notions of design without demagoguery and at the same time deals with most basic of understanding of design for the rest of the non design crowd. I see them as the thesis or the artifact of the speakers knowledge, not the process. They aren't meant to be academia. If you can't figure out how to learn from other peoples intelligence then you should probably wrap up that MBA and suck at life for the next 30 years and die early of a cheese-in-a-can induced heart attack.
    This post rules. hhaahaha

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    Five stars, indeed!

On the topic, I mentioned Ken Robinson back on page one, as did some others. His book "The Element" should be required reading, and I do have my students read it. My high school students are primarily considered "failures" by conventional schools (I teach at a school for "at-risk" students) but you quickly realize that they have so much to give if someone would recognize that they are not stupid or incompetent, but simply different. The hardest part is to get THEM to understand that. Sir Ken's book is a short read that conveys the message brilliantly.

Daniel Pink's book "Drive" is also brilliant. Prior to becoming an educator, I was an executive in various sized companies, and I always rallied against merit pay systems, but I couldn't really explain why they were failures. Pink nails it. Another smallish book that takes no time to read, and is simply amazing.

One thing I love about TED talks is that while yes, there are lots of PhDs on the roster, there are also tons of non-academic people that also have incredible knowledge to share.

BTW, being stupid is no longer cool. Never was, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i had her in undergrad; she's very sharp! i liked her
    where'd you go for undergrad?

I was in her retrofitting suburbia class. One of the best classes I've taken...

Just saw this one for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Wow.

123GSA

Quote Originally Posted by johngenx View Post
    Wow.

123GSA
    I know right? such a great speech!

Good shit right there.

/signing up for public defender clinic this week (undecided on state public defender, state appellate defender, or federal defender).

I used to be an investigator for the Public Defender Service in DC, sort of like a "public eye" or an "anti-cop", that was an interesting time. I might still be doing it if the judges didn't make it so hard for us to get paid (the judge would have to approve our hours before we could get paid and they hated us and routinely fucked with us, hard). Very satisfying interesting time, though.

i really want to see the sarah silverman one...

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    That was great!

Here's one of my favorites:

"...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Saw another great one today.

Simon Sinek: How great leaders inspire action

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I like these two, mostly because of what I do for a living...but check out Aimee Mullins. She's a bilateral amputee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ0iMulicgg

http://www.ted.com/talks/aimee_mulli...adversity.html
    She and her boyfriend are staying at the bed & breakfast at my parent's house tonight. They've been staying with them for years. She's super chill and quite inspirational. I watched that ted.com video of her a few weeks ago, the comments under it are hilarious with people being pissed that she is hot and gets preferential treatment for it despite helping pioneer and push new technologies for the very people who are pissed at her.
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Can't believe nobody has posted this one: http://www.ted.com/talks/mary_roach_...ut_orgasm.html

Pretty interesting/funny stuff, IMO.

IDK why my mom emailed this to me haha, but it's pretty good

Loved this one, but in full disclsure was a huge fan of hte zephyr team, hada zflex, and was on the local park team in the late 70s What a life.
    "Can't you see..."

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<