Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a solid general contractor, know one? Are you one?

Yo! So I'm signing papers on a house this morning and my wife and I wanted to have a couple things done to our house. I realize this should probably be in work or lack of it, but no one goes in there. I'm in Lafayette (Indian Peak specifically), and I think we want to do some stuff to our house including:

Sanding and staining the light oak (real) wood floors
    Some shelving work to make our coat closet into a pantry
    caulking some tiles and stuff
    new flooring in a couple bathrooms that have linoleum
    possibly new cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms, but this depends on price really
    replacement of random light fixtures, sink knobs, installing a ceiling fan
    possibly throwing up some walls in our unfinished basement

We have until April 4th to move out of our apartment, but most of this should be done by March 18th - at least the floor related items. I really don't want someone that can't hit deadlines. I used to live in Cali and my parents always had nightmare remodels that always took an extra YEAR. Not into that. Let me know. Can pay cash and would probably want an estimate on each job to find out what we want to do and what we don't want to do.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

New home owner , want it done yesterday , want estimates so we can pick and choose and a jaded attitude .
    Good luck kid .

You don't need a GC. That's you buddy.
    What you need is:
    A hardwood floor guy. Call S&S Hardwood Floor surfacing and get an estimate
    A finish carpenter/Handyman
    A caulk gun
    A tile floor guy/Handyman
    Someone to give you an estimate on a entire kitchen remodel to be done in 18-30 days
    A few basic handtools and a ladder
    Someone to give you an estimate on a basement finish to be done in 18-30 days

sounds like skiballs is your guy!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Other than the floors, all of that stuff is doable while you are in the house. Get the floors done, move in and work from there.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Other than the floors, all of that stuff is doable while you are in the house. Get the floors done, move in and work from there.
    Right. I should also have mentioned that the majority of these jobs are quite small. The finished area is 1258, basement is ~500 sq ft. Staining wood floors would only be about ~500 sq feet as well. Furniture is showing up around the 18th - 20th, so yes, floors would be the most time sensitive and the rest can be done whenever. Received a PM from a helpful mag as this community is full of them, so thanks for everything. I thought that perhaps one of the thousands of mags would be out of work currently and looking to do some of this stuff.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    sounds like skiballs is your guy!
    I have a few simple requirements:

Hot wife is to be attired in daisy dukes , halter top and min 4" heels .
    Coffee and donuts served promptly at 9:15 .
    Lunch order will be taken at 11;30 ( she better make a mean sandwich ) to be served at noon sharp .
    Also , a frig stocked with a minimum of two cases of good beer .
    Now hurry up and write me a check , my tee time is in half an hour .

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post

Lunch order will be taken at 11;30 ( she better make a mean sandwich ) to be served at noon sharp .
    YES YES YES! Love it!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post

Considering I actually could have made this all happen w/ the exception of my hot wife around, because she works all day (and the seller's real estate agent did in fact just tell my wife at the closing that she was strikingly beautiful), I could make the coffee and grab donuts, I always have 3 different kinds of micro brews in my fridge, and we would pay cash, it seems like you went into this w/ a pretty poor attitude for a job offer.

Add "calibrate sarcasm meter" to your job list.

Do yourself a favor- before you move in. While re-doing floors, have a drywall guy remove popcorn ceilings if they are present, and do a knockdown finish. This shows much better later on, and you will NEVER want this done while living there. Have it done before the floor guys come. All that other stuff can be done in time, unless you just have $$ to burn and want it done now. Hiring a GC for this small amount of stuff seems overkill, but some people just don't want to be involved, except for picking colors.

You sound like you'd be a lot of fun to work for.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    You sound like you'd be a lot of fun to work for.
    maybe he's a lawyer?

I know several lawyers, they all have a sense of humor.

I'm thinking middle manager.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I don't want to help, but something about your user title makes me think we should meet up and drink!

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    I'm thinking middle manager.
    one of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hWBGSZo4lU

posted by a lawyer with (arguably) a sense of humor
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    I don't want to help, but something about your user title makes me think we should meet up and drink!
    Anytime brotha. Love the taps at Lucky Pie, Back Country Pizza, and the Dale's Pale ale tap at Sportscenter Bowling alley. Let me know when and where.

Warthog - Thanks, but the place already has knock down ceilings. It was built in '96 and is kind of over constructed by McStain homes.

McSquared - Thanks for the actual advice. And you are right, I don't need a GC, more like a general handy man/ carpenter. Don't really need a complete kitchen/ basement remodel done, and we'll probably leave the kitchen the way it is for now, and in the basement I really just want to put some basic walls up so my dogs don't eat the insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Warthog - Thanks, but the place already has knock down ceilings. It was built in '96 and is kind of over constructed by McStain homes.
    No problem- just something we did. A lot of folks in the neighborhood kick themselves when they see how much better it looks. Def something you want done before move in though. Cost goes up a ton when they actually have to worry about where all the stuff falls when they scrape it off.

Looks like there is enough of us here that can get shut done. Where you located? I can offer my electrical abilities for safety meetings, Beers, and burgers.

I had a guy do some work on my house -- he was recommended by Pegleg -- and he's a GC but more on the "small job handyman" side of being a GC. Seemed like a nice guy, didn't charge an arm and a leg, but I honestly can't judge the quality of his work (he installed some venting for my roof and some soffit venting), it all looks ok but I'm not really qualified to say if it was good work. I can shoot his name and number your way if you want, it's better than cold calling someone.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

probably better to have a mag do the work after he gives you his ski pass if there is new snow in the forecast.
    bobby

Haha. If there's work to be done and there's a fresh dump we'll be carpooling to the hill.

Most of the people calling themselves a "GC" would not even roll out of bed to bid on a job this size and you should be extremely leery of anyone who does. If you can't do any of that stuff yourself, you have no business owning a home.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Most of the people calling themselves a "GC" would not even roll out of bed to bid on a job this size and you should be extremely leery of anyone who does. If you can't do any of that stuff yourself, you have no business owning a home.
    Don't disagree with the first part, but lots of people have the skills to do all of that, but not the tools or particularly time. Just cuz you know how to brew beer doesn't mean you shouldn't grab a sixer on the way home...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's