Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I heard Tom from Austria now features GoPro mountings on every pair of Rax skis produced so you must not limit yourself to just a single pair of these babies - go build a quiver!
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

Quote Originally Posted by Tunco View Post
    I think what you are up too is rad. Fuck the haters.

This thread is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. the haters vid is even more relevent since it was filmed in Cheeseman Park. Well played tunco.
    Last edited by ullrdrool; 02-28-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    (and wow, if i just let go and ski with my heart, i can get rid of those annoying poles once and for all?!? sign me up yesirreee!!)
    No poles, no polecam.
    Change is good. You go first.

I see these in your future

but isn't the point of skiing in the future to free up the hands in order to document every second of your day on the hill??
    how about no poles, 2 polecams and therefore the possibility of a really sweet 2 camera edit of the solo ride up the chair?

question for original poster:
    those green groomer shots are certainly sweet and spine-tingling, but does your extra-long pole ever get snagged when you ski in the woods?

There is some amazing video of the OP on his youtube channel. I especially like the park video where he straightline, flailed, and knuckled out on ever mini hit in the kiddie park.
    Training for Alpental

So full of win it was blinding & I couldn't watch for fear of retinal detachment.
    Calmer than you dude

Buckethead - I have steeper and mogul footage.. it's just a little bumpy so I left it out. The issue with the pole cam is shakiness and tiredness. You can overcome both a little by lodging the pole handle against the armpit (the issue is losing camera distance in the process), or using two hands (mainly stuck with front shots and a second arm as counterweight.)

I personally never came close to hitting anyone with it.

It's a Leki Venom Vario trigger S. I had it extended to 135cm. If I wasn't filming I'd hold it out with two hands, with one hand in middle, or rest on shoulder with camera taken off. (even better would be to retract completely, or additionally, take handle off and put in backpack.)
    Last edited by adria33; 02-28-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    http://heartcarve.com -- session progression

Whats the worst part about Skiboard Carving?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandyoso View Post
    That you're on skiboards.

So does that ski length qualify as an "advanced Snowlerblade" or is skiboarding a whole new level of GNAR?
    I can't remember...

Grandyoso - very good question.

I think it's the fact that the boards are short (blessing and curse) and with speed, keeping the carve is important for grip because skidding is less helpful.

On steep groomers, and the subsequent speed, it feels right to do long radius turns, but the boards chatter too much with the shorter radius, so one must move to shorter radius turns, so speed gets reduced and those high speed drawn out carves aren't as accessible on such runs.

Ice can be a problem, so looking for soft snow patches is important, or altering style (more hip flex and leg tension) but that can take away from the enjoyment.

I've got some Dobermann 158cm at 11m. With them, there's a higher take off speed to get the carve, but some of the really tight skiboard carves and agilities are lost - but I think they are easier to learn and cruise on.

I'd like to build a 135cm ski for next season - the Heart Carver at en.differences.li/skis-home/skis. The Spruce Sherpas also look good. The other issue with skiboard carving is finding an awesome fitting boot. You can't have boots with any pain and they have to flex well through a broad range of motion. For me that meant a lot time-consuming experimentation at the beginning of my trip.

Telling your parents you're gay?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    but isn't the point of skiing in the future to free up the hands in order to document every second of your day on the hill??
    how about no poles, 2 polecams and therefore the possibility of a really sweet 2 camera edit of the solo ride up the chair?

question for original poster:
    those green groomer shots are certainly sweet and spine-tingling, but does your extra-long pole ever get snagged when you ski in the woods?

Question: If you take two pole mounted cams and point them ahead (and slightly inward so that you are in view) can you meld the two videos together to make a super mind blowing 3D movie.
    'Cause the ski boards would be cooler in 3D.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Bravo!!! Don't let the naysayers tame your soul!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tunco View Post

Bravo!!! Don't let the naysayers tame your soul!!

No way man. And chicks dig it too

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Question: If you take two pole mounted cams and point them ahead (and slightly inward so that you are in view) can you meld the two videos together to make a super mind blowing 3D movie.
    'Cause the ski boards would be cooler in 3D.
    if i could see something as awesome as that on the big screen i think i would be totally freed up of my desire for skiing itself.
    crap, i could save a serious ton of money usually spent on gas, lift tickets, gear....

in voce pervetoso : "i prefer to watch!"

at first blush, this appeared to be an obvious "troll"......but the sheer quantity of footage and info from his web page leads me to believe something else..................MENTAL ILLNESS at it's worst.

This cat REALLY thinks he is something special, and will not be told otherwise.

Does laughing at him mean I am going to hell?
    So BAAAAAD.

From his Jan 11th BLOG post.
    "skiing for precision, power and freedom

I’ve always had trouble categorizing myself as a skier: was I more of a racer, a moguler, big mountainer or trickster? Yes to each, but only to a degree. However, with the arrival of the thicker, shorter and deeper sidecut skis that started production in the late 90′s, and the heart-centered skiing approach that I developed in response to them, I realized above anything else I was a carver: a heartcarver. This in turn improved those other aspects of my skiing significantly.

Contemplating the heart in Whistler 2008.

Heartcarving is about harnessing gravitational and centripetal forces enacting on a skier’s body in a more intelligent way by using the heart as one’s focal point (instead of say one’s poles or knees) because the heart is a skier’s center of mass, or a very close representation of it. With this as a focus, these forces are then utilized by having different muscle groups tense up and relax to alter bodily feedback points and subsequently a skier’s path down a run. The end result yields smaller movements yielding larger changes in sensation and trajectory than a more conventional skiing style with planting, swinging and spraying.

For me, heartcarving has meant virtually no falls, higher speeds, far less bodily and mental stress and more accuracy. Furthermore, more endorphins and less adrenaline.

The first step toward heartcarving is recognizing the yaw, roll and pitch that the heart can take whilst skiing.

It was about 10 years ago that I realized by focusing on the heart I could relinquish my ski poles. Ski racers at the time were adapting to these new skis. I felt that poles weren’t needed anymore to be counterweights to work alongside the long, straight-edged skis of yesteryear. However, the heart is not a muscle that can be moved at will like one’s arms, it is passive, so I realized I’d have to do more than just recognize the heart, I’d have to recognize patterns that the heart could and would follow during turn sequences and then build a muscle memory around those patterns with the goal of running the feedback loop in reverse: use the heart to alter my skiing via the patterns I’d already determined.

6 ski style patterns were identified based around the 6 movements that the heart can take whilst skiing: the first 3 movements are up/down, forward/back, right/left (as with an aircraft’s travel through space.) The second 3 movements are pitch, yaw and roll (as with an aircraft’s tilt axes.) Any of these movements can be taken individually and oscillated to create a turn sequence down a ski run (each point in the oscillation corresponds to a different point in the turn); or they can be mixed and matched for different effect. Ultimately, no pattern needs to be applied to create a turn sequence: only very slight muscular relaxations with the body remaining essentially straight and upright above the skis. Even still, these patterns are how heartcarving was born and gives carving massive variety.

Presently I am gearing up for a ski trip to further push the boundaries of heartcarving. I will be using the 2012 Summit Marauders, 125cm (14.7, 11.7, 14.7). Previously, I was skiing on the Nordica Dobmerman Pro SC model, 158cm (116, 64, 104 / 11m) which are already a short, shallow, and highly parabolic ski with a carbon wrapped wood core. I’ve found that skis play a very important role in the overall experience of heartcarving as they interact so strongly with another focal point: the feet, which could act as a counterpoint to the heart because so much force is transferred to and from the body via the feet, a force which is heavily affected by one’s ski choice, with its flex, length and sidecut. Interestingly, forces can also travel through the boot and bypass the feet to some extent so boot choice is also important. I am planning to shoot some instructional video and posting it here.

With the heartcarving paradigm in place, things such as touching the snow, aiming for a certain radius turn, dodging moguls or trees, sitting back or standing forward, high speed cruising, holding grip on ice, feet together or apart, or maintaining a precise line become products of one’s learning, functioning and choices. They are not ends in and of themselves: the end is the feeling of elation, relaxation, fun and a spiritual high."

Like HORRIBLE, BAD.
    good luck, enjoy the "heartcarving"..................but please, don't become the next "Tony Little" product spokesman.

I can't believe this and the GSA are going right now, some sort of mash-up is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by biff chalupa View Post
    Telling your parents you're gay?
    We have a Winner!
    Tell him what he's won Bob.

gASSyrOBOt - nahh you need a lot of footage to make any decent film.

Definitely not obsessed - last time I skied was 2008 for a couple of weeks and before that 2007 for a couple of days and before that 2003.

At least I'm going somewhere with my skiing in that short time... even if you can't grapple with it or me.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by biff chalupa View Post
    Telling your parents you're ghey?
    fixed it for you.

don't want to confuse this with the good kind of gay.

Last weekend a lady friend asked me why anyone would skiboard. I answered "it's easier than telling everyone you're ghey".

Is it legal to über bump to the hall of fame

We have a Winner!
    Tell him what he's won Bob.
    Grandyoso (Douchebag), you asked me a question, I answered it and you come back with this?

Quote Originally Posted by freshie247 View Post
    So full of win it was blinding & I couldn't watch for fear of retinal detachment.
    Yep, I knew it, this confirms my thought that the uninitiated masses just aren't ready for the hidden secrets of the heartcarve. Thanks for telling me freshie247 - Now go listen to some songs on this album and rest up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_Future_4_U

This stuff doesn't belong in the hall of fame, it belongs in a time capsule! Maybe I should delete the thread.