Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

St Anton - Heartcarving - Eric Pridz backing (1:28)

Rollerblading Jerusalem - Britney vs The Prodigy - Toxic Firestarter (3:16)

One of the secrets of the heartcarve involves the emblem on my t-shirt I use when training on blades. It brings down a special awareness on high to energize all the meridians necessary for the carve.

Now I need to enter the TGR co-lab competition, although winning should not be the be all and end all.
    http://heartcarve.com -- session progression

Well, it’s better than working I guess. You should PM spook, I heard he loves this POV shit more than life itself.
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

i love the fly-on-the-end-of-a-long-pole aspect of what would otherwise be mundane activities:

riding the gondi with strangers who are good enough sports not to toss the pole out the window.
    sliding along a flat traverse.
    going up the stairs.

some day i'm sure we'll be able to do this with GPS-equipped flying cameras, but me, i prefer the pole.
    it highlights the absurdity of the ability-desire to capture everything and therefore capture nothing.
    sort of the seinfeld show for our time...

i'm holding a pole above my head at work.
    i can therefore watch myself watching myself watch myself...heart working?
    i would upload it but don't have a clue how to embed vid.

keep 'em coming. it's gonna be a long summer.

yes, PM spook, he digs the crap outta POV.

PS: what *is* the terrminal velocity of a 130cm snoblade??

excessive pride does not a win make
    3 min of my life I'll never get back
    well 2 min anyway couldn't watch the whole thing
    Last edited by b0ardski; 06-11-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Buckethead, that's some avatar you've got there. Just back from a holiday on Mars?

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    PS: what *is* the terrminal velocity of a 130cm snoblade??
    That's a great question, but the steeper the run, the slower TV is (for turning) - so some of the best carves are done after gathering tons of speed in a straight line on a steep run (where there's no TV when heading straight) and then hitting a flat part and then laying it over (which you could not do if you were still on the steep part) as the edges wouldn't hold.

Thus, basically the tighter the carve, the more pressure that needs to be held by body and edges. That pressure is what's moving you across the run, and what's offsetting further acceleration.

If you're on a steep run, you could be going very fast if going straight, and you have to be careful you start carving before hitting a speed where that becomes difficult. Another factor is snow quality, not too slushy, not too icy. In the top video in the second part with the sun behind, I'm not actually carving so smoothly - it was quite icy (although my 158cm (see below) would've held it down) But on the first part of the vid the carves were effortless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xscx.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	117308

Here's a couple of other tips:
    - the fear factor in heartcarving is realizing it's more important to carve than control speed. If you're carving then you're in control. As such controlling speed isn't so important - avoiding crashes is about zigzagging around people and obstacles as a result of looking ahead. Also, there comes a point when starting to heartcarve when the mind is saying slow down, but the heart is saying NO, it's all cool.

POV - there's pov and there's POV. I'd love to have a camera crew and buddies, but being out of home country and travelling by one's self means POV only choice for time being. Other than that, a lot of pov done today is shoddy.

Quote Originally Posted by adria33 View Post
    One of the secrets of the heartcarve involves the emblem on my t-shirt I use when training on blades. It brings down a special awareness on high to energize all the meridians necessary for the carve.
    You should try seeing what a t-shirt with the GSA would do:

I see you are having to swing your pole cam out behind you at times, you should try dual helmet go-pros (one facing forward and one backwards)

spook Guest
    is it a new weapon for the idf?

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by narc View Post
    You should try seeing what a t-shirt with the GSA would do:

I see you are having to swing your pole cam out behind you at times, you should try dual helmet go-pros (one facing forward and one backwards)
    that is one butt ugly t-shirt. glad to see tgr minions are pushing the stupid envelope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolfshirt-moon.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	117310

^^ sweet shirt. and the answer to the question : what was the name of ozzy's third solo album?

POV - there's pov and there's POV. I'd love to have a camera crew and buddies, but being out of home country and travelling by one's self means POV only choice for time being. Other than that, a lot of pov done today is shoddy.
    PM systemoverblowed...he's always looking for some good talent to film.

it would be cool to see a long shot of the gondi from the ridgeline interspersed with the pole shots from inside.

i'd like to see more pole's eye view shots of booting up at the car, walking across the lot, grabbing coffee while waiting for first chair. that's where POV really shines. the stuff people don't see enough of.

or a second POV shot frm the base of the pole, aimed at the pole cam...so one could see what the pole cam looks like while it's capturing the action. THAT would be trippy!

spook Guest
    why not have one gopro aimed at the second gopro to watch the red light blink?

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    why not have one gopro aimed at the second gopro to watch the red light blink?
    Friend, has anyone tracked down GSA to check out his footage? Could be interesting viewing ...that is if he didn't disappear into a crevasse and get eaten by a Yeti.

What we need is real power and freedom from the heart and oneness, not the brutish drive of animal spirits and the desire for self-aggrandizement. That's what the heartcarve motif represents:

What we need is real power and freedom from the heart and oneness, not the brutish drive of animal spirits and the desire for self-aggrandizement. That's what the heartcarve motif represents:

i'm sure these words are inspiring to everone on this board, but like the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

that logo captures the essence of what it's all about.

stare at it long enough and one can't help but feel the desire to:
    carve from the heart.
    under control the majority of the time.
    on edge at teminal velocity.
    all while on the end of a gopro pole.

AMEN!

...which begs the question: if one doesn't film it, does it really happen?

Oddly enough when people on other threads challenged spook to post some of his own stoke rather than just bitching on others, this is what I imagined he would ski like.

Any powderslutz here ditched poles and found themselves reach a higher level? It's not like you're going to be getting a firm plant in the fluff so why have them, especially now with better ski technology? Just have them to wobble around like a duck out of water.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Oddly enough when people on other threads challenged spook to post some of his own stoke rather than just bitching on others, this is what I imagined he would ski like.
    probably worse since i've never skied. keep whining about me, though. i love your attention. i'm actually goproing myself reading tgr threads bitching about my opinion about pov and giggling. i'll post a tgr website tr as soon as i figure out how to make the file small enough.

Any powderslutz here ditched poles and found themselves reach a higher level? It's not like you're going to be getting a firm plant in the fluff so why have them, especially now with better ski technology? Just have them to wobble around like a duck out of water.

...which begs the question: at how much higher a level would you snow blade if you weren't on the end of a pole trying to capture it all from above, behind, front. isn't that all self-aggrandizing and therefore against the very ETHOS OF THE HEARTCARVE to which you expouse? and since you're always aware of the camera, don't you blade for the camera, and not from your heart.

maybe the blades are too easy for you?

maybe step up your game. get some beefy 180+, 190+ skis and then :
    ski under control the majority of the time, on edge, at terminal velocity.

see if you still feel like swinging that pole around when you're maching down something steep and fast ... or maybe you'll be too occupied with the skiing to do all that filming.
    you might even want/need a pair of ski poles.

vexing questions.
    Last edited by buckethead; 06-11-2012 at 05:36 PM.

^^
    This
    Though I really hate to give this thread any credibility whatsoever because it has to be a troll (it is isn't it?).
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Buckethead - always seeking to lift my game within the confines of my reality, and always seeking to lift my reality for the betterment of the carve.

How about you?

spook Guest
    wait, that was "carving"?

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    wait, that was "carving"?
    Well, I can change it if you can change yours.

WOW, going to be a long summer at this rate, glad I have my MTB dialed in and am riding 4-5 times a week.

Carry On!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Does anyone have any carve footage of their own they can send me please?
    http://www.wimp.com/cuttingsteel/

all rights reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    thank you friend.

wow this is becoming very DR WHO with avatars heart-carved.
    please tag Vt-free.
    he's a carving machine.
    it will make him very happy to be included.

^^^ FWIW, if you're gonna do spook's, shouldn't they be over the eyes??

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    ^^^ FWIW, if you're gonna do spook's, shouldn't they be over the eyes??
    I'm psyching up for a re-edit for the co-lab. I've reversed the motif to go counter-clockwise. I am happy to alchemize anyone's avatar if they so desire but I won't take responsibility for the influx of energy.. at least at this point.