Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Heart carving=sliding turns then? Heart Sliding? Not sure how you can "work" a ski without dropping your hip even slightly..Carving requires hip drop. And I dont mean dropping it back like you do. I mean getting angulation of your hip toward the snow. Show me some video of a clean arc without dropping the hip even slightly.
    Last edited by nyskirat; 03-01-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Captain Anal - terminal velocity.. going as fast as you can in a straight line and then keeping that in a turn, and basically the whole run.

Minimizing the displacement of snow which transfers the momentum of the skier into that displaced snow.

Minimizing edge friction which transfers energy from skier into heat and duller edges.

Also, minimizing muscular tension which transfers energy away from the skier. This is probably the most important: being relaxed at speed. Not always easy.

But turning itself, especially shorter radius turns removes the forward velocity of the straight line, so in order to control speed I am turning more... that's another reason why shorter radius skis are better for heart carving... you're not going as fast because you're turning more and generally speaking I think that's safer.

"Both equally lacking in self-awareness." Well, that's just one cretin's opinion.
    http://heartcarve.com -- session progression

Quote Originally Posted by adria33 View Post
    Captain Anal - terminal velocity.. going as fast as you can in a straight line and then keeping that in a turn, and basically the whole run.

Minimizing the displacement of snow which transfers the momentum of the skier into that displaced snow.

Minimizing edge friction which transfers energy from skier into heat and duller edges.

Also, minimizing muscular tension which transfers energy away from the skier. This is probably the most important: being relaxed at speed. Not always easy.

But turning itself, especially shorter radius turns removes the forward velocity of the straight line, so in order to control speed I am turning more... that's another reason why shorter radius skis are better for heart carving... you're not going as fast because you're turning more and generally speaking I think that's safer.

"Both equally lacking in self-awareness." Well, that's just one cretin's opinion.
    So TV is around 8mph, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by adria33 View Post

So, since velocity is a vector quantity... oh nevermind

edit: why are you talking about speed control if you're maintaining at terminal velocity?
    Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Anal View Post
    So, since velocity is a vector quantity... oh nevermind

edit: why are you talking about speed control if you're maintaining at terminal velocity?
    This is my new favorite post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Carving requires hip drop. And I dont mean dropping it back like you do.
    Not sure I agree with you here.

Some of the best Carving Cup people hold a straight line through their hips:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR4L0254.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	111327

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR4L6386.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	111328

That's what I mean by not dropping the hip - no fork in the body. (and they are touching the snow to boot!)

The first scene in my video is actually my last day in St Anton.. I was really getting my groove that day, pity I had to leave. I am pretty straight through the hips in it.

You add an variable terrain into that course like a double fall line or a few ruts, they would lose any momentum they had. That type of hip flexion is EXACTLY what you dont want when racing. It is not stable what so ever. Youre leaning in. Balancing with your inside hand like that is just asking for a shoulder injury.

why are you talking about speed control if you're maintaining at terminal velocity?
    Good point. Terminal velocity for given line down a run. If I wanted terminal velocity in a straight line it'd be easy, and it may be x kph. But start introducing turns and that's going to be x - y (y is speed energy but converted into movement energy to get me moving horizontally across a run.)

So making y large means overall velocity (x) lower, which can be safer, but I am still maxed out on x for that line compared to (well, err) a non heart-carver.
    Last edited by adria33; 03-01-2012 at 12:26 PM.

I think our new homeslice, heart carver, is trying to usurp the now infamous GSXR forum troll who poured two bottles of NOS into his gas tank as being the internet's biggest and most successful troll.

^^Not sure if that is directed at me or Heartslider...but if its at me look at the different in shoulders. Ligety is MUCH more likely to be able to balance himself out if he hits a piece of terrain. In addition, look at his hip, that is text-book hip flexion. His shoulders are parallel, hips are angulated properly, and he is on his outside ski. The handdrag is his style/where else would he put it

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    So TV is around 8mph, good to know.
    Closer to 10 for him, because he doesn't have pole baskets fucking with his aerodynamics.

Closer to 10 for him, because he doesn't have pole baskets fucking with his aerodynamics.
    But then you also have to factor in the Go-Pro resistance, which I can only guess is somewhere between a XXXL fartbag and a wingsuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

type of hip flexion is EXACTLY what you dont want when racing.
    Well, here's the winner of a Carving Cup in action.

here's another top guy from 2007:

Last edited by adria33; 03-01-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: new pic

Please explain how to avoid over-pressuring on the bottom half of the turn without any hip flexion. How do you initiate the turn with enough subtlety not to spray snow? Is it heart flexion? Am I missing something? Is it a simple adjustment in yaw, if you will? But wouldn't that adjustment force your hips to flex?

I don't think I'm smart enough for heart carving.

Please explain how to avoid over-pressuring on the bottom half of the turn without any hip flexion. How do you initiate the turn with enough subtlety not to spray snow? Is it heart flexion? Am I missing something? Is it a simple adjustment in yaw, if you will? But wouldn't that adjustment force your hips to flex?

I don't think I'm smart enough for heart carving.
    Hip flexion is not the enemy, it's just a point of reference. But for a basic heart carve, you'd just put pressure on the inside leg to stand up and relax the outer leg to allow that to happen.

But from the heart paradigm, you're disconnecting the upper part of the body with the lower part mentally. With this disconnection, the upper part (heart) loses its sideways momentum across the run in relation to the lower part of the body which is still tracking sideways across the run, thus the heart moves to the opposite side of the feet. (like a pendulum - the heart being the top, the feet being the bottom: the feet moves from underneath the heart to make the switch, not the heart which is passive)

add: BTW this is all easier when you're at terminal velocity: you're not really accelerating, or fighting that acceleration as with a skid turn, so you're freed up physically and mentally from that pull/acceleration to focus on the heart and tracking the skis beneath it.

Also, there should be no internal fight or battle. I'd advise green groomers to get started so you can start to feel it all happen.
    Last edited by adria33; 03-01-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Difference between them and you. Ski length. And skill. They would not consider themselves heart sliders like you

Do you have a logo for heartcarving yet? or are you going to patent the concept? just wondering. it'd be a good idea to get this stuff covered so someone doesn't try and steal your work.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet.

Difference between them and you. Ski length. And skill. They would not consider themselves heart sliders like you
    he's a heartcarver.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet.

Yeah, but give me a week on that course and I'll pour my win all over it.

I have been thinking, and it has occurred to me that a man's center of mass is somewhat higher on the body than a woman's center of mass. Thus, I have imagined a separate style that is more suitable for a woman.

I present to you: Vagina carving.

Vagina carving is about harnessing gravitational and centripetal forces enacting on a woman’s body in a more intelligent way by using the vagina as one’s focal point (instead of say her poles or knees) because the vagina is a woman’s center of mass, or a very close representation of it.

Doesnt the ski part take away from your heart sliding then. those skis are bigger and more powerful than yours

Quote Originally Posted by biff chalupa View Post
    Do you have a logo for heartcarving yet? or are you going to patent the concept? just wondering. it'd be a good idea to get this stuff covered so someone doesn't try and steal your work.
    I'll get something in place before (and if) I get the custom ski built. Harald Harb wouldn't let the vid be a video response to one of his carving instructionals. To hell with that hunchback.

I was heartcarving on 158cm Nordica Dobermanns in Whistler 2008 (116/64/104 11m). Good to learn on a WC SL ski actually. I find that the thicker and chunkier skiboards are a little slower edge to edge - but each ski has its nuances and benefits, it's good to have a few in the bag and under your thumb.

using the vagina as one’s focal point