Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    I think it's great that you are having such fun, but try and be a little more aware of other slope users. Speed isn't everything.
    Actually, speed just comes naturally with heart carving. I don't really want the speed specifically, but I end up at terminal velocity anyway much of the time. You'd be pleased to know I had no collisions with anyone at all. And no tail clips either.
    http://heartcarve.com -- session progression

Quote Originally Posted by adria33 View Post
    Actually, speed just comes naturally with heart carving. I don't really want the speed specifically, but I end up at terminal velocity anyway much of the time. You'd be pleased to know I had no collisions with anyone at all. And no tail clips either.
    terminal velocity eh?

Where is Jong Slaughter when you need him to deal with the gapers and/or unfunny trolls. Also awarding this guy with GSA is an insult to the GSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P View Post
    terminal velocity eh?
    Essentially all day.

Quote Originally Posted by prokeke View Post
    Where is Jong Slaughter when you need him to deal with the gapers and/or unfunny trolls. Also awarding this guy with GSA is an insult to the GSA.
    More of a shoot the messenger type guy, eh? Jongy should be onto you, not me dipshit.

some Jewish "supergaper"
    no. this is not happening. we're not allowing you to make your own state of cognitive dissonance a religious or a cultural thing.

hold it against Kelly Slater that he's not a big wave surfer? Each to their own.
    wholeHEARTedly comparing yourself to kelly slater ? ffffffffff not bad.

Btw, way to increase your post count. I'm joining the game. Please don't tell me I need to cut off my skis.
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

About sitting back... I've had that critique from an instructor... it happens naturally, the poles are a dead weight behind so there'll be a compensation when you hold them. And with long skis at front you can push forward without worrying about tipping forward. I see poles as like training wheels on a bike come to think of it. I mean ffs who does a friggin "pole plant?"

Secondly, about the groomers... do you hold it against Kelly Slater that he's not a big wave surfer? Each to their own. For me, I want speed (not the drug) and lots of it in the time I get on the hill. Doing a hike and powder 8s just doesn't cut it for me. I don't want to float on air, I want to shred and track. If I can get all this on a blue run.. then more power to the blue run. Actually, I do want pow, I have nothing against it, it just hasn't been my style or in my worldview. What's your average speed on your bluebird powder day?
    Yes. Poles are a deadweight. They weigh SO MUCH. I have no idea why they are still used in every form of competition. My average speed on a powder>yours on groomers. You cannot get going that fast on those lil boards. Ever wonder why DHers use skis in excess of 210 cms?

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Yes. Poles are a deadweight. They weigh SO MUCH. I have no idea why they are still used in every form of competition. My average speed on a powder>yours on groomers. You cannot get going that fast on those lil boards. Ever wonder why DHers use skis in excess of 210 cms?
    This chick is way better at heart carving. And she's probably on 210 cm boards. And she has poles.... Mind Blown!

TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TeleThor View Post
    This chick is way better at heart carving. And she's probably on 210 cm boards. And she has poles.... Mind Blown!
    That's obviously not heart carving.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by biff chalupa View Post
    That's obviously not heart carving.
    No? Could have sworn... My feeble mind apparently cannot grasp the finer points of the heart carving paradigm.
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TeleThor View Post
    No? Could have sworn... My feeble mind apparently cannot grasp the finer points of the heart carving paradigm.
    Don't get down on yourself, I didn't get it at first either. I'm starting to understand, but I don't think I'll be a heart carver anytime soon.
    Last edited by biff chalupa; 03-01-2012 at 07:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet.

something for the heart
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I have no idea why they are still used in every form of competition.
    Because they are not??? Get a Brain! Moran! Expand your horizons and open your HEART!!

Last edited by Tunco; 03-01-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: I a letter

Moguls, racing, nordic, rando, big mountain, slopestyle, etc.

Forgive me for generalizing.

I forgive you.

2 feet of pow at Schwietzer this morning, maybe I should leave the poles and take the 98cm Heads Liners instead of the 184 Grocer so I can make turns from the center of gravity in my upper chest?
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Some very poignant points raised and I am going to address them (welcome herr!)

1) The first is pole use: were they not highly important when skis were long planks of wood without metal sidecuts, when to get to the edge you'd lean up against it (stem-christie turn)? No one invented them by accident so why were they needed? It seems as time has gone on, less and less weight is placed on them, but they are still a comfort-zone for skiers in a few ways: a counter-weight to fling around, a general point of sensation, and probably most entrusted to use for moving across flat ground. The key video here is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTboYL8CjaU (World Cup GS Stars Free Skiing) I'd suggest to those guys they remove any basket on their pole to reduce drag, they probably don't need poles but are using them out of tradition and rules and see no harm in using them, but they could do without them. These GS stars are all potential heartcarvers, haha.

2) Ahh the Carving Cup. Very nice find Tunco and I have thought and known about it for some time. These are racers who've simply thrown away the poles and cut down the gates. Nothing wrong with it, but their style remains the same. The HC paradigm in a concrete definition would be defined by removing dependence on dropping the hip to get edge pressure. I still do it, and it's a good thing to do on icy slopes because if the ski slides out their is a fallback movement to drop the hip more (there is an equilibrium point to work around) - it's also not a particularly tiring movement: also seems to be a reactive lazy movement that one actively counteracts. But I don't do it automatically and depend on it like most skiers and particularly racers. Also, dropping the hip seems to work well with poles. Here's 2 photos of the hip drop: http://www.snowboardinginsider.net/w...ki-package.jpg http://www.phenixski.com/sponsorship..._ski_team2.jpg - if I am sitting back, what would you make of them? Their shins are up against the front of the boots, but they are still back. This guy here: I think he could be a heart carver on first look, little hip drop: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...i_1828779b.jpg

3) Difficulty: Biff - "I don't think I'll be a heart carver anytime soon" I'd agree here that there is a difficulty, learning and fear to overcome. It's a little scary to push through the fear barrier of being at terminal velocity most of the time (and without poles) but then again it's only on green or blue runs. There's also a ton of information to process. I personally consider those things to be good. I suppose it's like being on a rollercoaster, or dropping your wings back in an F-14 to get to Mach 2. A lot of great open-minded skiers here should try it and would be better for it.

4) Downhill. If they tried it on a ski board, the first thing they'd get is massive board chatter trying to cut a long radius turn at high speed and high pressure.... I personally am too risk averse for any sort of downhill and the speeds they obtain. The crashes are insane. But if I were to try, and given all the ice they hit, I'd be on 210+ skis and with poles for sure, dropping my hip right down and burning my quads up into putty. Heart carving is about having relaxed quads ideally and doing other things other than dropping the hip to get edge pressure.
    Last edited by adria33; 03-01-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling

I'd suggest to those guys they remove any basket on their pole to reduce drag
    Wow. Cannot believe I never thought of this.
    Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Anal View Post
    Wow. Cannot believe I never thought of this.
    On second thought, they'd need the basket to push off at the start, but when off they should retract with a button James Bond style.

If someone pushed them out, they could just hold some dumbells for the weight I suppose.

Change is good. You go first.

feeding the troll

Some very poignant points raised and I am going to address them (welcome herr!)

1) The first is pole use: were they not highly important when skis were long planks of wood without metal sidecuts, when to get to the edge you'd lean up against it (stem-christie turn)? No one invented them by accident so why were they needed? It seems as time has gone on, less and less weight is placed on them, but they are still a comfort-zone for skiers in a few ways: a counter-weight to fling around, a general point of sensation, and probably most entrusted to use for moving across flat ground. The key video here is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTboYL8CjaU (World Cup GS Stars Free Skiing) I'd suggest to those guys they remove any basket on their pole to reduce drag, they probably don't need poles but are using them out of tradition and rules and see no harm in using them, but they could do without them. These GS stars are all potential heartcarvers, haha.

2) Ahh the Carving Cup. Very nice find Tunco and I have thought and known about it for some time. These are racers who've simply thrown away the poles and cut down the gates. Nothing wrong with it, but their style remains the same. The HC paradigm in a concrete definition would be defined by removing dependence on dropping the hip to get edge pressure. I still do it, and it's a good thing to do on icy slopes because if the ski slides out their is a fallback movement to drop the hip more (there is an equilibrium point to work around) - it's also not a particularly tiring movement: also seems to be a reactive lazy movement that one actively counteracts. But I don't do it automatically and depend on it like most skiers and particularly racers. Also, dropping the hip seems to work well with poles. Here's 2 photos of the hip drop: http://www.snowboardinginsider.net/w...ki-package.jpg http://www.phenixski.com/sponsorship..._ski_team2.jpg - if I am sitting back, what would you make of them? Their shins are up against the front of the boots, but they are still back. This guy here: I think he could be a heart carver on first look, little hip drop: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...i_1828779b.jpg

3) Difficulty: Biff - "I don't think I'll be a heart carver anytime soon" I'd agree here that there is a difficulty, learning and fear to overcome. It's a little scary to push through the fear barrier of being at terminal velocity most of the time (and without poles) but then again it's only on green or blue runs. There's also a ton of information to process. I personally consider those things to be good. I suppose it's like being on a rollercoaster, or dropping your wings back in an F-14 to get to Mach 2. A lot of great open-minded skiers here should try it and would be better for it.

4) Downhill. If they tried it on a ski board, the first thing they'd get is massive board chatter trying to cut a long radius turn at high speed and high pressure.... I personally am too risk averse for any sort of downhill and the speeds they obtain. The crashes are insane. But if I were to try, and given all the ice they hit, I'd be on 210+ skis and with poles for sure, dropping my hip right down and burning my quads up into putty. Heart carving is about having relaxed quads ideally and doing other things other than dropping the hip to get edge pressure.
    wow man, mind boggling depth of fail
    1 Nobody has ever "leaned up against a pole" during a turn, remove the basket? have you ever seen racing poles

2 so if you don't drop the hip there's no recourse to drop the hip further?
    it's obviously the fault of the poles that these guys are using a lazy reactive movement to pressure the edge.
    your an idiot, this isn't dropping a hip because he's dropping a knee free heel

3 Oh the debilitating fear of "terminal" velocity on 125s, no wonder <3carving escapes us

4 I'd love to see 14 mins of you railing(I'm mean lift riding) 210s w/poles
    you carry on relaxing buddy
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Please explain your definition of 'terminal velocity'.

b0ardski - it's okay, you don't have to get hostile when things get intellectual

Could you also explain the difference between your heart carving vs an 8 year old with a little race training trying to make slalom turns?

Skis are about the same length. You cross the fall line ~the same amount(not at all). Neither use poles. Both equally lacking in self-awareness.