Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    I think you need poles if your shoulders are placed consistently at a substantially different angle to your hips and this is why I don't use them, and possibly why I don't injure myself either (and maybe why I don't fall for that matter). Interesting to note Simon Dumont went without poles in superpipe in January after his wrist injury and came third but then used them again recently in the European X games (and didn't place.) There must be something to poles if superpipe riders use them and they have no need to plant or push.

http://heartcarve.com -- session progression

If poles dont matter, why do WC racers still use them? They of all skiers know the importance of proper hip and shoulder angulation.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    If poles dont matter, why do WC racers still use them? They of all skiers know the importance of proper hip and shoulder angulation.
    Perhaps it helps them deflect gates, and they need to bend their skis to get an arc out of it.

It all comes back to the design of the ski (rules apply) and what they need to get out of it to go as fast as possible.

They have the waist of the ski behind the midline, so as they weight into the rear of the ski, the hands out front keep them from falling back.

I respect top racers and their skill, but I don't want to ski like them. Most racers (especially DH) have burning thighs by the end of their run.

Quote Originally Posted by adria33 View Post
    I think you need poles if your shoulders are placed consistently at a substantially different angle to your hips and this is why I don't use them, and possibly why I don't injure myself either (and maybe why I don't fall for that matter). Interesting to note Simon Dumont went without poles in superpipe in January after his wrist injury and came third but then used them again recently in the European X games (and didn't place.) There must be something to poles if superpipe riders use them and they have no need to plant or push.
    Nailed it.

Ripper:

Have you ever heard of ski poles?

Mandrake:

Ah, yes, I have heard of that, Jack. Yes.

Ripper:

Well do you now what they are?

Mandrake:

No. No, I don't know what they are.

Ripper:

Do you realize that ski poles are the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    Nailed it.

Ripper:

Have you ever heard of ski poles?

Mandrake:

Ah, yes, I have heard of that, Jack. Yes.

Ripper:

Well do you now what they are?

Mandrake:

No. No, I don't know what they are.

Ripper:

Do you realize that ski poles are the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
    They want to imperil our snow essence.

That's why I only drink pow-melt and grain alcohol.

Jedi: to be heartcarving is to be without pain or fear

Padwan: how is that possible, skiing without pain and without fear?

Jedi: the force will guide you, and just at the edge of pain and fear lies the dark side, and that's where you reside

Padwan: thank you

Jedi: so now you're now on course, from easy green to double black: it makes no difference

Padwan: may the force be with you

Jedi: rip time

Perhaps it helps them deflect gates, and they need to bend their skis to get an arc out of it.

It all comes back to the design of the ski (rules apply) and what they need to get out of it to go as fast as possible.

They have the waist of the ski behind the midline, so as they weight into the rear of the ski, the hands out front keep them from falling back.

I respect top racers and their skill, but I don't want to ski like them. Most racers (especially DH) have burning thighs by the end of their run.

It only helps in SL. And no, racers do not weight the tail of the skis. Trust me, you weight the tail of a race ski, you will fall on your ass within one turn.
    Holding hands in front when skiing is just common practice for any sort of fore-aft balance that is needed to ski in variable terrain.

Holding hands in front when skiing is just common practice for any sort of fore-aft balance that is needed to ski in variable terrain.
    On my skis, hands are basically free to go behind, center, forward or both. Here are just a couple of pics.

Hands are and should be free to be anywhere and doing anything (it is beyond pole-free, it is hands-free.) You could be eating a cookie or holding a shovel without discomfort.
    Last edited by adria33; 03-25-2013 at 02:39 AM.

You are positioning your self as some sort of guru or visionary for something at which you simply aren't very good. This worked for Howard Head when he invented laminate skis in response to how difficult it was for him, a beginner, too turn the heavy wooden skis of the time. But he was an accomplished engineer who had a clear vision of how new materials could improve equipment. You are a goofy kid who thinks he is Yoda on skis. What you have invented is an embarrassing name for something embarrassing that has been popular among the unskilled for decades.

I admire your ambition and the fearlessness with which you share your (deeply flawed) vision. But you are in desperate need of humility. Yes, I see that you believe yourself humble, that you don't claim to be great, but you are young, bold and blinded to your vast limitations. If you want to achieve your dream you need to humble yourself and learn how to ski. This means abandoning your silly creations. They will hold you back. This would be a true act of humility. Do you have it in you to swallow your pride? Or are you satisfied being the self proclaimed king of the goofballs? Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    If you want to achieve your dream you need to humble yourself and learn how to ski. This means abandoning your silly creations. They will hold you back. This would be a true act of humility. Do you have it in you to swallow your pride? Or are you satisfied being the self proclaimed king of the goofballs? Good luck.
    Yes, m'lord. I will shut down my site now and start taking orders from lucifer.

We saw a skittles kid Saturday flailing in the bumps with no poles holding a can of soda. Looked retarded.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

In both of those pictures, I can tell you right now, if either of you were to hit some sort of unexpected bump/lose traction with the snow/even have to throw them sideways, you could not handle it in a controlled manner. The top picture is a prime example of skiing the tails of a ski, anything a good race coach or skier knows is something you want to avoid. Bottom picture shows poor upper body and lower body separation. If you were to hit ice or lose that lower ski, you would end up with a nice skiers thumb and hip slide.

And no, racers do not weight the tail of the skis.
    Whoa whoa whoa....Not being a dick but If you think WC racers dont load the tails of their skis then you don't race or don't win. They almost ALWAYS load tails in turns. A loaded tail transfers energy ( speed) at the exit of any race turn. This is not sitting in the back seat btw.

In both of those pictures, I can tell you right now, if either of you were to hit some sort of unexpected bump/lose traction with the snow/even have to throw them sideways, you could not handle it in a controlled manner. The top picture is a prime example of skiing the tails of a ski, anything a good race coach or skier knows is something you want to avoid. Bottom picture shows poor upper body and lower body separation. If you were to hit ice or lose that lower ski, you would end up with a nice skiers thumb and hip slide.
    No I would not lose control, I would slide out to a wider radius and keep skiing in control, it would be a fairly automatic reaction as initially my legs drop out and then my heart would drop down until an equilibrium is reached and I can apply pressure again.

Daniel is supposed to be skiing tails before take off speed is reached. There is no problem here I found. Although Daniel was beyond take off speed, that is why he is in fact not skiing the tail if you look closely at front of outer ski -- he is skiing the tips. But he can still pull it off anyway. Look at the video.

"Poor" -- well if you say so padwan.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa....Not being a dick but If you think WC racers dont load the tails of their skis then you don't race or don't win. They almost ALWAYS load tails in turns. A loaded tail transfers energy ( speed) at the exit of any race turn. This is not sitting in the back seat btw.
    Let me rephrase my statement. Racers do not always weight SOLELY the tail of the skis. Obviously there are situations where they do, but most of the time they engage the full ski.

Jedi: to be heartcarving is to be without pain or fear

Padwan: how is that possible, skiing without pain and without fear?

Jedi: the force will guide you, and just at the edge of pain and fear lies the dark side, and that's where you reside

Padwan: thank you

Jedi: so now you're now on course, from easy green to double black: it makes no difference

Padwan: may the force be with you

Jedi: rip time
    Sweet, I think you have the right spirit, and I bet you can garner a niche market that will fulfill your dreams of sharing your gift. All you need is some awesome Mogul skier to endorse your idea.

There are tons of gimped out old dudes whose shoulders are totally fucked from shitty technique, who might benefit.

Do you experiment with sidecut depths? I like park sidecut on my regular snowboard. Thank me later.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

meh
    things might be ok on groomers, but that's not skiing. unless you're racing, and you need poles for that.

as long as your having fun i guess OP. if you can make a few bucks at it, whatevah.
    www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Do you experiment with sidecut depths?
    I would do more experimenation but not if each one would cost $1700.

I do think the edges could be made harder, because the sort of ice sliding I could and did do (because the balance and technique is right) made me worry that they wouldn't last long. The edges of the skis are already high quality snowboard edges:

"Edges take the brunt of any impact, so we use the toughest ones we've found - freeride snowboard edges. They really are as beefy as they come – now 2.5mm thick."

In this helmetcam vid for most of it, I am just going down a fairly icy groomer looking for soft snow to turn, but I could of just as easily shredded the ice too if I wasn't concerned about the edge. So edges as tough as the toughest drill bits would be my preference. It would be scary fun. It'd take someone new to the skis a couple of weeks for the bodily responses to be learned to be able to do it. (and a good 3 weeks to be properly heartcarving)

In terms of groomers not being skiing unless you're racing, that's a strange statement, I tend to think taking air is not skiing, but a substitute for it.

Adria don't take this the wrong way, but you clearly know fuck all about skiing, it clear as day from your footage, you're skidding around on easy groomed terrain and dabbling in baby bumps, wind your neck in you doughnut
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    Adria don't take this the wrong way, but you clearly know fuck all about skiing, it clear as day from your footage, you're skidding around on easy groomed terrain and dabbling in baby bumps, wind your neck in you doughnut
    Rossy, you like coming out of the woodwork to make fun of me. BTW, how are you at skiing? Any good footie from the last 35 years of life on this planet to show me how it's done?

I thought I saw the OP at the Beav today. Dude had no poles (poles are for communists), an ill fanny pack, and had that general euro thing going on. My heart beating out of my chest in anticipation, I gazed down toward his feet and alas, real skis. No Heartcarvers. They might have even been longer than 160. My heartbeat returning to normal, I gazed skyward toward that Great Heartcarver in the sky and imagined a day when no ski will be longer than 140, and nary a ski pole will be seen upon the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    They might have even been longer than 160.
    On the HCs, you get more out of every centmeter due to the camber and sidecut. I mean take a Nissan GT-R: only a 3.8-liter V6 but and with the twin-turbo it puts out 545hp. Or take a Ferrari LaFerrari (6.3 v12 with KERS electric motor 789+163 hp) or a McLaren P1 (3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 with KERS electric motor 727+176hp) -- so you can't just look at size of engine alone. Same with skis -- length is only 1 factor, important but not the only thing that determines worth. Obviously the rider of the ski matters too.

Dumb analogy. I don't think you will ever convince anyone that a 100cm or whatever rockered snowlerblade contraption will ever out perform or out ski a 190 Explosive in mank, any true carving ski on groomed, or a Lotus 138 or the like in pure powder. Just ain't gonna happen. But keep on keeping on bro, it's good stuff for sure.

The only way to settle this is a Chinese downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    The only way to settle this is a Chinese downhill.
    Only if he is on those snowlerblade things:-)