Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080Rider View Post
    Have you tried some real skis?
    If I answer the question, does that mean I'm tacitly admitting I'm not on real skis? I've never skied on the fat powder boards you're probably referring. Then again I've never seen people turn quite the way I want to... I want to slow it down and do more turns and feel more. Not much point getting into an argument at this point as I know it'll turn into a long tirade that gets nowhere as people start picking off little things I say, so I'll stop and enjoy the music. Thanks.
    http://heartcarve.com -- session progression

How do they tour?

Quote Originally Posted by ianjk View Post
    How do they tour?
    Probably very well, but I'm not 100% as I've never tried it: they're light (1.5kg each no binding), maneuverable and have a large surface area for their length and are well balanced. They also cut through the deep snow well up/down, forward/back. Someone on NS mentioned touring on skiboards and there's a video of a guy doing it.

Why can't I watch your videos on an iPad?
    I can read the Bible on iPad, but not watch heartcarving?

I guess it is time I get some ideas out....

You are a decent skier, by self admission not too core about it (no problem there), but if you are doing this casually why all the investment in innovation? Why get custom ski boards for a few weekends in St. Anton or wherever?

DUDE...... ditch the pole cam. You have a overactive upper body as it is, add a few meters to that and it is just dizzying. We can see very little of your technique. Do you not have a friend that can film a few turns for you? Also, edit edit edit edit edit edit your videos. No one cares to see your walking through flat pow. From a marketing standpoint, just get to it already. 15 mins?!? No one will watch that.

I get it you are not trying to mach down through crud and be all badass, but is it really that much fun to get bucked around on those short boards? Yeah they float fine, and turn great, but jesus a rocking horse is a lot easier on the knees for the same exact feel.

There is no way that these are the future. Get over it.

Why are you bringing so much attention to yourself? Are you trying to turn a profit on these?

I could see them being useful training tools for intermediate skiers who need to learn how to extend, keep shoulder square, and stay forward/balanced. But they are still an expensive novelty.

I am glad you have found a new spark in your skiing, but why do you think you are so important and original? Why dont you just take a step back, stop looking for input/critique/sponsors, and enjoy the sport?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and why the private videos? Not so stoked to show off anymore?
    "The top of the mountain is just the start of the journey." - favorite mentor in skiing and life

Son-of-Pbville - great points. The original Future of Skiing vid clocked 5030 views. It got around 5 upvotes and 18 downvotes before I shutdown voting and comments. This is understandable to a point, and it's offline because it doesn't represent where I am now. You can't attack what is meant to be nurtured. I may put it back up further into the future for a nostalgic chuckle. (edit: I just did)

But that video was all about Research and Development. Nothing more. My more recent vids (you can see a list of my vids here) is further down in the evolutionary process. Views and upvotes are really not that important to me. What is important is the advancement of skiing and right now this depends on spiritual growth in my view. I suggest you read the FAQ.

I think I can contribute to skiing, so that's what I'm doing. It's about prophecy, not profiteering.

On the pow side you're getting more people killed by avalanches, and on the park side you're getting broken bones and huge medical bills everywhere. That's the unintended side-effect of the advancement of the sport. Also, when you're getting people focussed on the air they're going to pull more than the line or the turn, then you're not really skiing anymore, you're flying by way of a snowcapped runway.
    Last edited by adria33; 02-11-2013 at 05:56 AM.

The reason your videos have so many views is because you post them on TGR and newschoolers and make a fucking joke of yourself. You catch so much shit on these forums you must be doing it for the attention. Just have fun skiing and get over your psychedelic snowblades, nobody will buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Son-of-Pbville View Post
    ...a rocking horse is a lot easier on the knees for the same exact feel.
    That's a kickstarter
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by shreddingGNAR View Post
    nobody will buy them.
    Why don't you rep for heartcarve AND whitedot? Welcome to TGR.

Some off the hook big kicker action just shot in Tyrol. (not me using them)

Tyrolean Time Traveller (4:56)
    Alan Braxe - Time Machine (Gigamesh remix)
    Last edited by adria33; 03-22-2013 at 01:29 AM. Reason: spelling

I could knuckle 360s on snowblades too!

Like a herpes flareup this thread is BACK! If you gave your park rat homie some actual skis he might be able to clear the knuckle.

"actual skis" - how are they not actual skis? Here's a vid of snowblades:

They're not actual skis because they're snowblades. You invented $1700 snowblades.

That planet from Star Wars with the weird llama horses and shitloads of snow
    The only recent new development in skis that I think has a future is horizontal/edge rocker, like the Surface LAB.
    Looks incredibly fun, yet challenging. ()

Anyone skied them? I wonder how they work in powder.
    The side rocker on the LABs is probably a bit too pronounced to edge them properly, but if some manufacturer manages to design a convex base that fits the turnshapes in pow (like more siderocker near tips/tails, less underfoot), we're gonna get one surfy ski!

Good luck with your snowblades though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewdor View Post
    The only recent new development in skis that I think has a future is horizontal/edge rocker, like the Surface LAB.
    Looks incredibly fun, yet challenging. ()
    Calling them snowblades doesn't hide the fact people are still skiing toothpicks and holding chopsticks. You can do a lot of those solo spins in the vid on HCs because of the full rocker... anyhow he should lose those poles.

spook Guest
    they look like elves should be riding them

Look, "heartcarving" on real skis, on a surface other than perfect groom. Damn, there go your plans for world "heartcarving" domination.

You know, I met a lot of Israelis traveling in SE Asia / East Asia awhile back. Some of those guys were real cool, but most of them had just finished their military service and were loudmouths and know-it-alls. I remember one of them telling me how to get around in China...knowing that I'd been cycle touring there for 6 weeks already (and read Chinese) and he had gotten off a plane that day. See any parallels to the current situation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_26YRfPuMI&t=0m23s

Dan - regarding Israeli backpackers - desperate times call for desperate measures. Don't really know what to say there - they should decompress in the Oregon wilderness for a few years until reality kicks in.

As a skateboarder, snowboarder and hiker I definitely think you'd enjoy skiing on them. You can carve powder real well. In fact, by the end of my trip I was seeking out powder pretty keenly. How I see it, if snowboarding is 100 steps easterly of skiing, this is 70-80 steps north-easterly. Beyond that, if people wave the snowblade flag at me, I gotta respond.

I have a pair of 125cm "skiboard longboards" and these are vastly different. Anyhow, thanks for your input. Top-tier powder skiing today is done like you're trying to outski an avalanche. To me (not you), it's not the way forward.

I don't get what the problem is with people using poles, they become a part of you once you're rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewdor View Post
    I don't get what the problem is with people using poles, they become a part of you once you're rolling.
    nothing, but if you're not planting, why use them, or are they to compensate for something else? Technique? Design?

For me, I see the future as diamond hardened edges or something drill bits are made from to be able to shred really hard snow all day. (if there's nothing better available)

Your hands look funny grabbing your ass cheeks.

Watch surfers and snowboarders, we use our arms a lot. It is a balance thing for changing directions and it also looks good, plus tons of freedom. Skiers look mostly lame with poles, and without poles, look worse.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Daniel was just getting used to the skis. I told him to put his hands behind the back when going in a straight line, and you can also do it if you haven't hit take off speed to drop into the carve (skis are fully rockered) and need to ride the tails. But he may have overdone it. Checkout Into Italy or Last Day Charge if you want to see me using the skis as intended on piste. In any case, I am presuming you are really into your snowboarding though. I really needed another day of good pow to get the pow footage I wanted but never got. As a snowboarder, you can actually shred on these skis, as in engage the entire edge and slide, and I think that's unique for a ski and a reason to get interested.

add: we also missed shooting the Feb dumping that the TGR team got in Austria due to transport issues. Damn.
    Last edited by adria33; 03-24-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Just what we need... more gapers going sideways across the entire width of a run without looking.

Quote Originally Posted by adria33 View Post
    nothing, but if you're not planting, why use them, or are they to compensate for something else? Technique? Design?
    Rhythm, balance and confidence!

Don't get me wrong, any new idea in skiing is a good idea.
    But I prefer fat 180+ skis with poles, even on groomers, as do most people here probably.
    And I don't think I'll ever grow tired of them.