Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    spook Guest
    they look like elves should be riding them

Look, "heartcarving" on real skis, on a surface other than perfect groom. Damn, there go your plans for world "heartcarving" domination.

You know, I met a lot of Israelis traveling in SE Asia / East Asia awhile back. Some of those guys were real cool, but most of them had just finished their military service and were loudmouths and know-it-alls. I remember one of them telling me how to get around in China...knowing that I'd been cycle touring there for 6 weeks already (and read Chinese) and he had gotten off a plane that day. See any parallels to the current situation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_26YRfPuMI&t=0m23s

Dan - regarding Israeli backpackers - desperate times call for desperate measures. Don't really know what to say there - they should decompress in the Oregon wilderness for a few years until reality kicks in.

As a skateboarder, snowboarder and hiker I definitely think you'd enjoy skiing on them. You can carve powder real well. In fact, by the end of my trip I was seeking out powder pretty keenly. How I see it, if snowboarding is 100 steps easterly of skiing, this is 70-80 steps north-easterly. Beyond that, if people wave the snowblade flag at me, I gotta respond.

I have a pair of 125cm "skiboard longboards" and these are vastly different. Anyhow, thanks for your input. Top-tier powder skiing today is done like you're trying to outski an avalanche. To me (not you), it's not the way forward.
    http://heartcarve.com -- session progression

That planet from Star Wars with the weird llama horses and shitloads of snow
    I don't get what the problem is with people using poles, they become a part of you once you're rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewdor View Post
    I don't get what the problem is with people using poles, they become a part of you once you're rolling.
    nothing, but if you're not planting, why use them, or are they to compensate for something else? Technique? Design?

For me, I see the future as diamond hardened edges or something drill bits are made from to be able to shred really hard snow all day. (if there's nothing better available)

Your hands look funny grabbing your ass cheeks.

Watch surfers and snowboarders, we use our arms a lot. It is a balance thing for changing directions and it also looks good, plus tons of freedom. Skiers look mostly lame with poles, and without poles, look worse.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Daniel was just getting used to the skis. I told him to put his hands behind the back when going in a straight line, and you can also do it if you haven't hit take off speed to drop into the carve (skis are fully rockered) and need to ride the tails. But he may have overdone it. Checkout Into Italy or Last Day Charge if you want to see me using the skis as intended on piste. In any case, I am presuming you are really into your snowboarding though. I really needed another day of good pow to get the pow footage I wanted but never got. As a snowboarder, you can actually shred on these skis, as in engage the entire edge and slide, and I think that's unique for a ski and a reason to get interested.

add: we also missed shooting the Feb dumping that the TGR team got in Austria due to transport issues. Damn.
    Last edited by adria33; 03-24-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Just what we need... more gapers going sideways across the entire width of a run without looking.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

That planet from Star Wars with the weird llama horses and shitloads of snow
    Quote Originally Posted by adria33 View Post
    nothing, but if you're not planting, why use them, or are they to compensate for something else? Technique? Design?
    Rhythm, balance and confidence!

Don't get me wrong, any new idea in skiing is a good idea.
    But I prefer fat 180+ skis with poles, even on groomers, as do most people here probably.
    And I don't think I'll ever grow tired of them.

I think you need poles if your shoulders are placed consistently at a substantially different angle to your hips and this is why I don't use them, and possibly why I don't injure myself either (and maybe why I don't fall for that matter). Interesting to note Simon Dumont went without poles in superpipe in January after his wrist injury and came third but then used them again recently in the European X games (and didn't place.) There must be something to poles if superpipe riders use them and they have no need to plant or push.

If poles dont matter, why do WC racers still use them? They of all skiers know the importance of proper hip and shoulder angulation.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    If poles dont matter, why do WC racers still use them? They of all skiers know the importance of proper hip and shoulder angulation.
    Perhaps it helps them deflect gates, and they need to bend their skis to get an arc out of it.

It all comes back to the design of the ski (rules apply) and what they need to get out of it to go as fast as possible.

They have the waist of the ski behind the midline, so as they weight into the rear of the ski, the hands out front keep them from falling back.

I respect top racers and their skill, but I don't want to ski like them. Most racers (especially DH) have burning thighs by the end of their run.

I think you need poles if your shoulders are placed consistently at a substantially different angle to your hips and this is why I don't use them, and possibly why I don't injure myself either (and maybe why I don't fall for that matter). Interesting to note Simon Dumont went without poles in superpipe in January after his wrist injury and came third but then used them again recently in the European X games (and didn't place.) There must be something to poles if superpipe riders use them and they have no need to plant or push.
    Nailed it.

Ripper:

Have you ever heard of ski poles?

Mandrake:

Ah, yes, I have heard of that, Jack. Yes.

Ripper:

Well do you now what they are?

Mandrake:

No. No, I don't know what they are.

Ripper:

Do you realize that ski poles are the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    Nailed it.

Ripper:

Have you ever heard of ski poles?

Mandrake:

Ah, yes, I have heard of that, Jack. Yes.

Ripper:

Well do you now what they are?

Mandrake:

No. No, I don't know what they are.

Ripper:

Do you realize that ski poles are the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
    They want to imperil our snow essence.

That's why I only drink pow-melt and grain alcohol.

Perhaps it helps them deflect gates, and they need to bend their skis to get an arc out of it.

It all comes back to the design of the ski (rules apply) and what they need to get out of it to go as fast as possible.

They have the waist of the ski behind the midline, so as they weight into the rear of the ski, the hands out front keep them from falling back.

I respect top racers and their skill, but I don't want to ski like them. Most racers (especially DH) have burning thighs by the end of their run.

It only helps in SL. And no, racers do not weight the tail of the skis. Trust me, you weight the tail of a race ski, you will fall on your ass within one turn.
    Holding hands in front when skiing is just common practice for any sort of fore-aft balance that is needed to ski in variable terrain.

You are positioning your self as some sort of guru or visionary for something at which you simply aren't very good. This worked for Howard Head when he invented laminate skis in response to how difficult it was for him, a beginner, too turn the heavy wooden skis of the time. But he was an accomplished engineer who had a clear vision of how new materials could improve equipment. You are a goofy kid who thinks he is Yoda on skis. What you have invented is an embarrassing name for something embarrassing that has been popular among the unskilled for decades.

I admire your ambition and the fearlessness with which you share your (deeply flawed) vision. But you are in desperate need of humility. Yes, I see that you believe yourself humble, that you don't claim to be great, but you are young, bold and blinded to your vast limitations. If you want to achieve your dream you need to humble yourself and learn how to ski. This means abandoning your silly creations. They will hold you back. This would be a true act of humility. Do you have it in you to swallow your pride? Or are you satisfied being the self proclaimed king of the goofballs? Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    If you want to achieve your dream you need to humble yourself and learn how to ski. This means abandoning your silly creations. They will hold you back. This would be a true act of humility. Do you have it in you to swallow your pride? Or are you satisfied being the self proclaimed king of the goofballs? Good luck.
    Yes, m'lord. I will shut down my site now and start taking orders from lucifer.

We saw a skittles kid Saturday flailing in the bumps with no poles holding a can of soda. Looked retarded.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

In both of those pictures, I can tell you right now, if either of you were to hit some sort of unexpected bump/lose traction with the snow/even have to throw them sideways, you could not handle it in a controlled manner. The top picture is a prime example of skiing the tails of a ski, anything a good race coach or skier knows is something you want to avoid. Bottom picture shows poor upper body and lower body separation. If you were to hit ice or lose that lower ski, you would end up with a nice skiers thumb and hip slide.

And no, racers do not weight the tail of the skis.
    Whoa whoa whoa....Not being a dick but If you think WC racers dont load the tails of their skis then you don't race or don't win. They almost ALWAYS load tails in turns. A loaded tail transfers energy ( speed) at the exit of any race turn. This is not sitting in the back seat btw.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    In both of those pictures, I can tell you right now, if either of you were to hit some sort of unexpected bump/lose traction with the snow/even have to throw them sideways, you could not handle it in a controlled manner. The top picture is a prime example of skiing the tails of a ski, anything a good race coach or skier knows is something you want to avoid. Bottom picture shows poor upper body and lower body separation. If you were to hit ice or lose that lower ski, you would end up with a nice skiers thumb and hip slide.
    No I would not lose control, I would slide out to a wider radius and keep skiing in control, it would be a fairly automatic reaction as initially my legs drop out and then my heart would drop down until an equilibrium is reached and I can apply pressure again.

Daniel is supposed to be skiing tails before take off speed is reached. There is no problem here I found. Although Daniel was beyond take off speed, that is why he is in fact not skiing the tail if you look closely at front of outer ski -- he is skiing the tips. But he can still pull it off anyway. Look at the video.

"Poor" -- well if you say so padwan.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa....Not being a dick but If you think WC racers dont load the tails of their skis then you don't race or don't win. They almost ALWAYS load tails in turns. A loaded tail transfers energy ( speed) at the exit of any race turn. This is not sitting in the back seat btw.
    Let me rephrase my statement. Racers do not always weight SOLELY the tail of the skis. Obviously there are situations where they do, but most of the time they engage the full ski.

Jedi: to be heartcarving is to be without pain or fear

Padwan: how is that possible, skiing without pain and without fear?

Jedi: the force will guide you, and just at the edge of pain and fear lies the dark side, and that's where you reside

Padwan: thank you

Jedi: so now you're now on course, from easy green to double black: it makes no difference

Padwan: may the force be with you

Jedi: rip time
    Sweet, I think you have the right spirit, and I bet you can garner a niche market that will fulfill your dreams of sharing your gift. All you need is some awesome Mogul skier to endorse your idea.

There are tons of gimped out old dudes whose shoulders are totally fucked from shitty technique, who might benefit.

Do you experiment with sidecut depths? I like park sidecut on my regular snowboard. Thank me later.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

meh
    things might be ok on groomers, but that's not skiing. unless you're racing, and you need poles for that.

as long as your having fun i guess OP. if you can make a few bucks at it, whatevah.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Do you experiment with sidecut depths?
    I would do more experimenation but not if each one would cost $1700.

I do think the edges could be made harder, because the sort of ice sliding I could and did do (because the balance and technique is right) made me worry that they wouldn't last long. The edges of the skis are already high quality snowboard edges:

"Edges take the brunt of any impact, so we use the toughest ones we've found - freeride snowboard edges. They really are as beefy as they come – now 2.5mm thick."

In this helmetcam vid for most of it, I am just going down a fairly icy groomer looking for soft snow to turn, but I could of just as easily shredded the ice too if I wasn't concerned about the edge. So edges as tough as the toughest drill bits would be my preference. It would be scary fun. It'd take someone new to the skis a couple of weeks for the bodily responses to be learned to be able to do it. (and a good 3 weeks to be properly heartcarving)

In terms of groomers not being skiing unless you're racing, that's a strange statement, I tend to think taking air is not skiing, but a substitute for it.