Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help lighten my AT setup

I've been searching and reading here but I'm out of the loop enough that I could use some help.
    My current AT setup is: 188 S7s, Dukes, Kryptons with 13* forward lean
    I'll be keeping these for sidecountry but want an addition setup for touring days that is lighter and better striding but skis as similarly as possible.

Bindings: Dynafit style I think, but just how strong are they? They won't be getting used inbounds or as often as my sidecountry setup but I'd like to hit jumps, cornices, cliffs without worrying. I see there's a few companies making them now so which one should I go with? Definitely want brakes.

Boots: I guess I'd start by looking at the Dalbello Virus. I'm assuming the Virus Lite would be flexier than I want. What other boots should I consider?

Skis: I really have no idea as all I've skied and paid attention to in the last 10 years is Rossignol's freeride/Scratch BC line. Their sidecuts and flex fit my style perfectly but over 95mm they're pretty heavy and I'm looking to save significant weight here. Here's some criteria: 185-190cm, waist 105-110mm, some rocker but ski-able on hardpack, medium to soft flex in the tips but some support as it gets closer to the boot.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 02-27-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Off the top of my head: K2 sidestash 189, Dynafit FT12, Dynafit titans
    If you're being rad and nobody's around to see it, are you really being rad?

www.simonblide.blogspot.com

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    rax n plums
    pm blurred 4 proform
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Can the Plums have a brake added?
    What's Rax?
    On the Dynafit boots is the cuff angle adjustable? If not, how does their forward lean compare to Kryptons in the middle position.

stop eating

Speed holes.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

run some marathons

Quote Originally Posted by SimB View Post
    Off the top of my head: K2 sidestash 189, Dynafit FT12, Dynafit titans
    I agree with all this except the sidestash, god I hated those skis at least it was only for one day.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Are those Sidestashes lighter than Rossignols, maybe foam core? What didn't you like about them? Other ski suggestions?

It looks like the Dynafit binding I'd want is the TLT Radical FT 110mm Z12 for its wider base and 12DIN. Any reason to choose Plum or another over these?
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 02-26-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Typical dead feeling k2, too soft and flappy, its wood core k2's particle board core. I'd pick dynafit over plum any day, great support and a great product, plus cheaper than plum.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

save the weight in the binding, get the skis that you like how they ski, boots, try the bd quadrant, but if not, make sure they are stiff enough. above all, remember that you are going up to ski down. if it's just for exercise, go cross country skiing.

Thanks for the advice. These skis will sit in between my metal edge XC skis and my bomber side country skis. On days when I can't get a partner for avy terrain but feel like doing more than piddling around on XCs I'll use these for low angle pow and touring, hence I'm willing to give up a little width and stability for something that is fun on the flats and ups. My current setup is like going for a trail ride on my DH bike. I can do it and keep up with anyone but it feels awkward and not as fun as I imagine a proper touring setup would be.
    The caveat is I'd like to be able to rip on them when the opportunity arises so I can't give up too much.

The Black Diamond Zealot looks promising but I realize I have no frame of reference for weight. Does anyone know what 188 S7s weigh or if the Zealot's weight of 10.8lb is light?
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 02-26-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    save the weight in the binding, get the skis that you like how they ski, boots, try the bd quadrant, but if not, make sure they are stiff enough. above all, remember that you are going up to ski down. if it's just for exercise, go cross country skiing.
    Last comment is strange advice. If it's just for exercise then get the heaviest skis, boots and bindings available (not XC gear). I have XC gear as well and enjoy the feeling of freedom it provides when conditions are conducive.

I actually enjoy AT skiing for the sake of skiing (both the ascent and the descent) and the lighter gear enhances that enjoyment, makes me feel more free, allows me to cover more ground and get in more vertical in a day. Most people don't want to be on rando-race gear as it gives up too much control on the descent but some of the newer lightweight touring gear is amazingly rewarding on the descent. It's all about hitting the balance that pushes YOUR pleasure buttons.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    Speed holes.
    Whatcha diddely-doin', neighbor?

Aw, putting speed holes in my car. Makes it go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Thanks for the advice. These skis will sit in between my metal edge XC skis and my bomber side country skis. On days when I can't get a partner for avy terrain but feel like doing more than piddling around on XCs I'll use these for low angle pow and touring, hence I'm willing to give up a little width and stability for something that is fun on the flats and ups. My current setup is like going for a trail ride on my DH bike. I can do it and keep up with anyone but it feels awkward and not as fun as I imagine a proper touring setup would be.
    The caveat is I'd like to be able to rip on them when the opportunity arises so I can't give up too much.

The Black Diamond Zealot looks promising but I realize I have no frame of reference for weight. Does anyone know what 188 S7s weigh or if the Zealot's weight of 10.8lb is light?
    That's right. Zealots are heavy. Then again, almost any 110 waisted ski with power behind it are going to be heavy. Think about what boots you're going to get first. There's no point in getting stiff, powerful skis if you're going to get light, flexy boots. Isn't the whole point to go lighter here?

If you have the money: 190 DPS Wailer 112RP Pure, Dynafit Radical FT12, Dynafit Vulcan. Killer setup.

Thanks, Zealots are off the list and I'll check out the DPS. I'm probably gonna get the Dalbello boots as I've loved Kryptons for 8 years and the forward lean of the Dynafits is a little more than I like. These boots are supposedly stiff enough for a real ski but I ski fairly soft skis by most maggot's standards (Rossi Scratch Brigade and S7) and lighter is the point. I'm still open to all boot suggestions and for now I'm comparing stiffness, weight, and forward lean. I'll try'em on later.

i ski a 90 mm aspect at 176 w tlt5 mtn and weigh 195 and am quite happy in most conditions... ski what you like

^My park ski is bigger than that and I weigh 25lbs less than you do. We have different tastes.

The DPS Wailer 105 looks PERFECT, kinda expensive though. I've never paid more than $400 for skis.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 02-26-2012 at 11:39 PM.

181 Voile Charger (112mm underfoot, rockered, tapered, silly light) w/ Dynafits
    http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/m...duct_Code=5200

Yup, and i spend much less time in the park, would be interesting to ski together... different tastes and style

Quote Originally Posted by Teague View Post
    181 Voile Charger (112mm underfoot, rockered, tapered, silly light) w/ Dynafits
    http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/m...duct_Code=5200
    Thanks for suggesting those. I started this thread hoping to hear about some obscure skis that would fit my needs perfectly. The price is a lot better than DPS but in the length I'd want, 191, they're a little too wide. Same width as my S7s. Going on the list though as they're probably a lot lighter than S7s.

Quote Originally Posted by dyna1fit View Post
    Yup, and i spend much less time in the park, would be interesting to ski together... different tastes and style
    WTF? He's already stated what he's looking for.

DPS Wailer 105s can be found in GearSwap occasionally. Maybe post at WTB thread to see if anyone has pairs he might want to sell but hasn't really thought too hard about it.

When evaluating the forward lean of the boots, don't forget to take into account the ramp angle of the binding. Dynafits tend to have more ramp angle than most alpine bindings (like 6mm total IIRC). Not sure of the forward lean of the Kryptons with "medium shim," so I can't tell what other boots might have a similar forward lean. But I will say that if you null the ramp angle of the binder with a plate or shim, you'll probably be much happier.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Given that you already have a solid AT setup for skiing hard, you may want to make some compromises and experiment with something much lighter for days when you want to travel fast and far.

I'm interested to see how light you can go without making any compromises on your requirements. There definitely are some weight savings to be had (switching to tech bindings for sure) but what will be the cost per pound? How much money are you willing to spend per pound of weight savings?

Some of these numbers may not be accurate.. especially on your current gear.

Your current setup:
    S7 skis (4.76kg) Duke bindings (2.67kg) Krypton boots (4.73kg)
    Total: 12.16kg (26.8 lb)

A light option (doesn't meet the requirements you indicated but will probably cost about the same as any other option you are considering)
    Dynafit TLT5 boots (2.23kg), Dynafit TLT Speed Radical binding (680g), Dynafit Mustagh ATA Superlight (2.6kg at 178cm)
    Total: 5.51kg (12.15 lb)

Thanks for the inputs on weight and ramp angle. I like the Kryptons at 13* forward lean and could tell the difference when trying 11* and 15* so I'm limiting boots to those that can do 13* or 14*. I think I like a pretty much flat ramp angle (is that what Dukes and Jesters are?) so I'll shim the tech bindings.
    So long as I get a sub 9.5lb ski and pretty much any tech boot and binding I'll be saving a lot of weight and have a more comfortable stride so I don't want to compromise boot stiffness and ski ride too much. As for money, I'm a cheapskate but will spend what it takes, justifying it with the knowledge that I'll have this for a decade at least.

Anyone know what Armada TSTs weigh in 192cm? My friend's are light but they're only 183cm and mounted with Plums, which make anything feel light.