Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What AT bindings don't SUCK?

Every body seems to hate every binding there is.

Dukes are too heavy
    Barons break and you should get Dukes
    Tour f12 who knows
    Fritcshi break
    Silverettas break instantly
    Plum's don't work with alpine boots
    Dynfits are like $600

What the helll? I want a binding to charge around inbounds and want to skin once in a while.
    Had Dukes and sold them with the Bro's, lever froze up like everone says, needed a clam knife to dig the ice out.
    Gonna set them at 10, and put them on some wailer 99 hybrids. I am 6'2" 200 lbs plus gear.
    Alpine boots for sure.

I think the salomon bindings are gonna be pretty sweet

and dynafits aren't $600
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Salomon/Atomic and Tyrolia are both coming out with AT bindings that are supposed to function well as a alpine binding too. MFD has the tracker plate that you can bolt an alpine binding on.

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    I want a binding to charge around inbounds and want to skin once in a while.
    Had Dukes and sold them with the Bro's, lever froze up like everone says, needed a clam knife to dig the ice out.
    Gonna set them at 10, and put them on some wailer 99 hybrids. I am 6'2" 200 lbs plus gear.
    Alpine boots for sure.
    With your criteria: IMHO, right now, your choices are: Duke or the Salomon Guardian/Atomic whatever.

Duke issues are known (track icing, lever slop) but workable (silicone spray, be gentle with lever). Salomon is unproven; might be wonderful, might have a whole new set of issues.

If setting up a ski for BC usage only, then go Dynafit or comparable tech binding of your choice.

I think Fritschi/ Naxo/ Silvretta/ any raised-rail binding has too much flex, and skis like crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I think the salomon bindings are gonna be pretty sweet
    Might be, but not going to solve the "Dukes are too heavy" problem.

Crampedon, just pick one and SUCK it up . . . or forget about the touring thing and just use alpine bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post

Crampedon, just pick one and SUCK it up . . . or forget about the touring thing and just use alpine bindings.
    This is TGR, nobody sucks it up. Half a degree of ramp angle or an extra two ounces causes immeasurable strife, like the Princess who can feel the Pea under 40 mattresses and featherbeds.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Every body seems to hate every binding there is.

Dukes are too heavy
    Barons break and you should get Dukes
    Tour f12 who knows
    Fritcshi break
    Silverettas break instantly
    Plum's don't work with alpine boots
    Dynfits are like $600

What the helll? I want a binding to charge around inbounds and want to skin once in a while.
    Alpine boots for sure.
    Tie a small piece of cord through the lever. This enables you to pull it regardless of icing.

Can somebody show me a video of how hard you can ski a dynafit binding? They look sweet if your touring a lot but can they actually 'ski' hard?

Sent from my Ally using TGR Forums

Its about not being able to transition into ski mode, from tour, not the other way arround, thats causing trouble.

After two seasons of Baron & F10 'issues', I yanked them, installed inserts and installed Pivots. My skis now perform like they ought to and they are more fun. For touring, I'll simply swap bindings. The multi-tool, one-size-binding-fits alpine and BC skiing will disappoint in some area. Maybe at the end of the day, Dynafits would be the ticket, but as an 'it's all good', AC/DC' skier still needing DIN boots and occasional tele skier), the silver bullet binding isn't available, IMO.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

FWIW: the Salomon/Atomic is heavier than a duke, and not proven by the masses yet. That heal interaction looks like it could freeze up pretty easily.

Next year's offerings will probably fix the pain-in-the-ass that is the duke levers and the lower stack height will be nice, but I think the salomons are even heavier than the duke. It'll take some convincing to sell me on the fact that the new guardians aren't going to just be a whole new kind of icing up beast. I don't really know anything about Silverettas, but I think you've got the general consensus on the others.

I gave up a few year ago for serious walking around, and just made the jump to tech bindings - there's just no comparison in terms of tourability. Can't go nearly as big without grenading tiny metal pieces though and you definitely need new boots. Jondrum's plates make a pretty sick option for single-ski versatility, but they come with added stack height and the need for tools, other bindings, and a workspace to do the swap - so not exactly an on-the-fly swap if you want to charge and tour on the same day.

I've been working pretty hard to hone my quiver down to 3-4 skis for everything and have kind of settled on this solution for touring/resorting without owning 12K$ worth of shit:

everyday ski with P18/Plum binding swap plates - covers 80% of both touring/in bounds days
    big, dedicated pow ski w/ Plums - uber light, tours like a champ, perfect for big touring days/hut trips.
    resortable big pow ski w/ Dukes - tours like shit but if you want to slack-country or hump them up something you want to jump off you're covered, and you can still charge in bounds.
    2 sets of boots

I'll be stoked when someone makes a boot that does both well.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post

I have look pivots on my112's and love them, but don't want to go plates on both skis to swap out to tour so Dukes it is!

Will use the cord trick o the switch.

How heavy can they be? With gear and boots I gotta be 250!

- I get weight weeny cyclists in my shop all day. Had a guy order a tiny computer " to save weight"

I tell them skip a meal!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    This is TGR, nobody sucks it up. Half a degree of ramp angle or an extra two ounces causes immeasurable strife, like the Princess who can feel the Pea under 40 mattresses and featherbeds.
    Says the guy with RP112's and Wailer 99's. HAHAHAHA!

One word: Hoji

Quote Originally Posted by ace.. View Post
    Can somebody show me a video of how hard you can ski a dynafit binding? They look sweet if your touring a lot but can they actually 'ski' hard?

want to skin once in a while.
    There's your problem.

People who don't tour much are always the people who have issues with their gear and then obsess about having the perfect set up to fix stuff... even though they don't actually use it very often/hardly ever and don't learn how to work around, put up with or realize that ski touring is almost always making do with things that aren't ideal be that weather, snow or gear......
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Watch All.I.Can and watch Hoji and Callum Pettit rip it up on DYNAFIT. I have g3 onyx's and Beat the crap out of them on a weekly basis. I have even hucked 10+ footers in the backcountry with them and no release.

Dynafits do not suck and they cost <$600

fuckin spoiled TGR bellyachin crybabies

I agree with PNWbrit.

The most decisive part of a binding/ski/boot is the 5-6ft above it.

My friend has jumped off 30ft drops and landed switch on (small) park jumps with his dynafiddles speeds. Only thing he has broken so far is the lock out lever.

The MFD Alltime plate w/FKS 140 seems like it'd be the ticket for such a setup. Never used it though.

Personally, I prefer to either tour (dynafit) or ski in the resort (FKS). No real need for a crossover setup at the resorts I ski.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by powdergangsters View Post
    I have even hucked 10+ footers in the backcountry with them and no release.
    Going for the Darwin award, huh? Good luck with that.

No video, but here are some sequence shots of me tomahawking out of a 50 foot pillow line with my skis still conspicuously attached to my feet via Plums...

They stay on your feet surprisingly well sometimes, it turns out
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    fuckin spoiled TGR bellyachin crybabies
    I actually think this is more a result of the act of ski touring itself.

It makes lots of people anxious, they're mostly desperate to just get to bit where we ski not the climb. There's almost always some degree of competitevness going on..."god damn _____ is always faster than me! Must be my gear!?" It's mostly slightly boring, repetitive and allows long periods of time to obsess about shit be it bindings or contents of a too heavy ass back pack or am I wearing the right technical outerwear. Most of the time you're exhausted, thirsty, hungry, too cold, or too hot or wet.... sometimes slightly scared and maybe even a bit lost.

Lusting after the perfect binding as a panacea to all this is a natural reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Poop~Ghost View Post
    Says the guy with RP112's and Wailer 99's. HAHAHAHA!
    That's because I have champagne tastes and deserve high thread count sheets and carbon skis, not because I'm a whinging, dithering cunt. Pay attention!
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle