Page 101 of 108 FirstFirst ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 2685
    He might not have 10k followers, but the ones he does have live in the LA area and will be climbing Whitney, Baldy, San Gorgonio, and San Jacinito. All peaks that regularly kill the unprepared, ill-equipped, and/or judgement-deficient. This isn't the guy to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    He might not have 10k followers, but the ones he does have live in the LA area and will be climbing Whitney, Baldy, San Gorgonio, and San Jacinito. All peaks that regularly kill the unprepared, ill-equipped, and/or judgement-deficient. This isn't the guy to emulate.
    I sense jealousy that you don't look as good naked and wearing a harness

^^^ Yes, like all French mountain men.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    “there is a mountain out there where the death toll is greater than the successful summit rate, I will climb it.....
    #workoutwednesday”
    Something tells me the most dangerous thing he'd attempt to climb is a lgbtxzy parade float

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    He's also on the "SoCal Hikers" Facebook group, and apparently is spancered with free gear by most of those brands thanks to his glitzy 'gram skilz. It's kinda shocking watching him often use gear incorrectly, yet get hundreds of likes from urbanites who don't know any better.
    And yet he is the guy getting the free gear. He is doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What's he planning to do with an ice ax and rock shoes? Although Honnold and Cladwell did do the Fitzroy traverse in approach shoes but I don't think this guy's in that league.
    Uh, its called Dry tooling.... And he is is clearly free climbing to fix gear for his less experienced partner. Besides, nothing wrong with free climbing with a harness and gear, sometime you out run your skill and you need to tie off.

you guys are just racists. Plain and simple.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    And yet he is the guy getting the free gear. He is doing something right.
    And TGR seems quite obsessed with him for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    And TGR seems quite obsessed with him for some reason.

Middle aged white guys with executive jobs and/or trust funds love to hate on young black men trying to make it in "their" space.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Middle aged white guys with executive jobs and/or trust funds love to hate on young black men trying to make it in "their" space.
    Yup.

That and the “your doing it wrong” contingent.

Uh, its called Dry tooling.... And he is is clearly free climbing to fix gear for his less experienced partner. Besides, nothing wrong with free climbing with a harness and gear, sometime you out run your skill and you need to tie off.

you guys are just racists. Plain and simple.
    nice try troll
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    nice try troll
    Its hard own our biases, especially racial ones. You can try to make your self a better person or lash out at those who direct your attention to them ... thats your choice. Namaste

Its hard own our biases, especially racial ones. You can try to make your self a better person or lash out at those who direct your attention to them ... thats your choice. Namaste
    Him being from LA or his skin tone doesn't factor into being a gaper. And until recently moving I was volunteering with organizations getting minority youths into the outdoors for years.

#obviouslyyou'renotagolfer if you call having an ice axe (not tool) hanging off your harness dry tooling.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Him being from LA or his skin tone doesn't factor into being a gaper. And until recently moving I was volunteering with organizations getting minority youths into the outdoors for years.

#obviouslyyou'renotagolfer if you call having an ice axe (not tool) hanging off your harness dry tooling.
    Stating that you volunteer with minority youth, in its self, does not absolve you of racism. On its own, its simply an appeal to authority..... a logic fallacy.

Who knows what the guy is up to... But all that BS aside, School me on the tool he is carrying? It looks like an ice axe with an adze . how is this not something that could be used for dry tooling?

Stating that you volunteer with minority youth, in its self, does not absolve you of racism. On its own, its simply an appeal to authority..... a logic fallacy.
    So what absolves YOU of "racism"..? #virtuesignaling

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    So what absolves YOU of "racism"..? #virtuesignaling

I never tried to absolve my self from it... but that said, I am not the guy hating on the young black man who "inst using his sponsored gear correctly".

But again, Still waiting for the Dry tooling education NorCalNomad is about to lay down me Re: Ice axe vs Ice tool.

Nice try... And from what I see no one is "hating on the young black man", but poking fun at a "person". Injecting race into a discussion where it is not relevant Get real already, huh?

Nice try... And from what I see no one is "hating on the young black man", but poking fun at a "person". Injecting race into a discussion where it is not relevant Get real already, huh?
    sure, Its easy to say its not relevant. but there are undeniable truths in it....on face value, its hard to diminish the concern (in that there are quite literally thousands of Instagram posers to pick for the GSA flame fest, but only a small percentage are of colour) ....but I digress... because quite honestly, its not for a group a white guys to rule on either way....

Still waiting to hear how an Ice axe differs from an Ice tool, an why one cant be used for dry tooling......

Still waiting to hear how an Ice axe differs from an Ice tool, an why one cant be used for dry tooling......
    Don't really care for the race non-sense, but here is the difference:

Name:  51EozlnRcbL._SY741_.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  22.2 KB
    This is an ice tool, which is primarily used to climb ice and dry tool.

Name:  51S-c8S9ELL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  6.7 KB
    This is an ice axe, which is primarily used for self arrest.

Other than being completely different in terms of shape, there are differences in how the pick is configured. Ice tool pick is typically a bit narrower and much sharper to chisel ice. The ice axe has a broader pick to provide more resistance when you start sliding down a slope. So in conclusion, the instagram profile is most certainly a gumby who likes to carry pointless and heavy stuff up his 5.5 climbs.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Don't really care for the race non-sense, but here is the difference:

This is an ice tool, which is primarily used to climb ice and dry tool.

This is an ice axe, which is primarily used for self arrest.

Other than being completely different in terms of shape, there are differences in how the pick is configured. Ice tool pick is typically a bit narrower and much sharper to chisel ice. The ice axe has a broader pick to provide more resistance when you start sliding down a slope. So in conclusion, the instagram profile is most certainly a gumby who likes to carry pointless and heavy stuff up his 5.5 climbs.
    Thanks, but the tool he is carrying appears to be a technical alpine tool .... it actually looks like a Petzl Sum'tec, so not unreasonable to suggest it can be used for dry tooling.... thats actually how they market it.

keep hating on him. He is getting out, and getting hooked up.

I didn't look at the picture too closely because I don't really care. A Sum'tec is sort of a hybrid where you could dry tool in pinch but it would be pretty hard, it's better use would be mellow ice gulleys or steep snow climbs with maybe a little ice on it. Also, I think there was only one tool on his harness so it still doesn't make sense. Either way, he's more of a gumby than a gaper, not enough gopros strapped to him to qualify as gaper.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    I didn't look at the picture too closely because I don't really care. A Sum'tec is sort of a hybrid where you could dry tool in pinch but it would be pretty hard, it's better use would be mellow ice gulleys or steep snow climbs with maybe a little ice on it. Also, I think there was only one tool on his harness so it still doesn't make sense. Either way, he's more of a gumby than a gaper, not enough gopros strapped to him to qualify as gaper.
    I dont deny that at heart, this guy qualifies as one of the thousands of insta posers out there who are trying to translate likes into spancership .... but I dont think its fair to single out his gaper style... as he may even have the rock pick bolted up to that sum'tec... and in other related insta posts, there is even a bigger looking gumby following him clipping into the lead gear he is placing without a rope... yes, I want to barf in my mouth every time I read his quotes about death in the mountains and his life wish ... the guy doesn't have a fucking clue what it means to die or be near death in the alpine... but honestly, people are flaming him for things that dont actually seem flame worthy... they are picking out minor technical things, that in the context of some one else wouldn't even register.... hence my foray into racialization.

I guess I am just disappointed in some of you crusty old fucks. You all used be sharper on detecting the troll and a bunch of couch dandys shouldn't be looking to single out technical flaws in something they likely dont participate in or fully understand.

I dont deny that at heart, this guy qualifies as one of the thousands of insta posers out there who are trying to translate likes into spancership .... but I dont think its fair to single out his gaper style... as he may even have the rock pick bolted up to that sum'tec... and in other related insta posts, there is even a bigger looking gumby following him clipping into the lead gear he is placing without a rope... yes, I want to barf in my mouth every time I read his quotes about death in the mountains and his life wish ... the guy doesn't have a fucking clue what it means to die or be near death in the alpine... but honestly, people are flaming him for things that dont actually seem flame worthy... they are picking out minor technical things, that in the context of some one else wouldn't even register.... hence my foray into racialization.

I guess I am just disappointed in some of you crusty old fucks. You all used be sharper on detecting the troll and a bunch of couch dandys shouldn't be looking to single out technical flaws in something they likely dont participate in or fully understand.
    I bet if you message him he might let you suck his dick.

at heart

Dude.
    The guy posts it on instagram
    Now its ours to use for laffs
    The end
    Get a life

Nice try... And from what I see no one is "hating on the young black man", but poking fun at a "person". Injecting race into a discussion where it is not relevant
    X2, race should not be a shield prohibiting objective criticism that has absolutely nothing to do with race.

Thanks, but the tool he is carrying appears to be a technical alpine tool .... it actually looks like a Petzl Sum'tec, so not unreasonable to suggest it can be used for dry tooling.... thats actually how they market it.

keep hating on him. He is getting out, and getting hooked up.
    ill buy you "one" of those and you can show me some dry tooling with it(do you even know what dry tooling is)

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum