Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Makes sense ND. I agree with you. A swift water rescue class and a WW training class gives you the basics for our floatable water. SWR should be taken by anyone who rows, anywhere!

Soft or hard boat, it is important to be able to understand boat placement in class I water for catching fish. Boat position, speed, etc.., play a role in the catching game. I have no idea if the guide schools cover that hit though. if they do, it still will take someone many hours on the oars to get proficient at reading water and getting the proper strokes down.

I know next to nothing about the Delaware river but I assume it is fairly tame??? Sounds like K just needs the basics of rowing safety and reading water to catch fish. Why not plan a trip out this way for a swift water rescue course instead of guide school and see if you can line up a few of us for some WW skills and fish catching skills.

WWR makes a lot of sense. If you want to practice on the Green let me know I am always willing to show off my lack of skills.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I did the hyde guide school back in the 90's when they were still in last chance.
    Covered a lot of info some of which I already had a decent grasp of and some more guiding/client
    based info that helped shed some light on that aspect.
    had I known of a place like tgr where I could just hook up and fish w/ a bunch of good dudes
    who could probably bestow 3/4 if not all of that knowledge for party favors/and or shuttle fees I'd a just done that.
    Nothin makes you a better oarsman than time on the sticks on a variety of flows/situations or in the rear seat watching what the oarsman does to put the boat in optimum fishing position.
    Count me in w/ Telee if you come out this way and wanna get your float on
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I had a whitewater background (mostly in WV) before I started fishing, which gave me the river running skills that I needed for both big volume rivers and technical rivers. Rowing a drift boat does require a totally different mentality. I love to push when I'm rowing a raft and that's definitely not the name of the game when fishing out of a drift boat.

I should prolly start a 2013 thread but I'm not fishing....yet.

This no snow bullshit in the Tetons with frigid valley temps has pissed me the fuck off. Snow or warm up down low please!

Schwerty I am with ya. Same here in the SLC. I have been checking the temps in Dutch John and they are looking to be in the mid 30's. May have to uncover the boat and make a run.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Wish I lived closer and had a hall pass to burn for a few days! Next sunny warm-up that we see, (unless it is on the heels of a big storm), I am gonna start my 2013 season.

1/20/2013 - Blue river below Dillon Dam - very good fishing. Mysis shrimp with RS2 trialing got into some nice rainbows.

1/21/2013 - Blue river below Dillon Dam - Caught 2 fish over 20". hooked one 26"+ Same recipe as before.

Be careful what you wish for. The extended forecast shows no real relief from the high pressure and the snowpack up high or down low isn't really to a level of coverage that it can sustain itself against the sun. If things start getting warm enough to fish, this snowpack will rot out fast and then we probably will be in a full blown drought cycle and choking on smoke and dust all summer long.

I'm certainly not wishing for that! Bring on the snow!

wow almost 70 here in Denver today....if I didn't have a job interview this afternoon I would be on the water wherever I could be!
    Want to make a difference? Support a company dedicated to bringing jobs back to America, making every product here in America! Visit us on Kickstarter- hotmix-the 4x4x4 project http://goo.gl/Jw5f8