Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Land of the free, home of the brave.

Do any of the larger brands still make their bikes in America? Or even North America for that matter? I've been out of the loop for a while now and need to get back into riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Here is a well written piece on this subject: http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/ (at least pertaining to carbon frames)
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

I think Rocky Mountain still makes some of their bikes in Canada - not the USA, but still America.

Yeah, now that Cannondale is owned by Dorel, they are out of the states too. I think they were the last of the "major" brands.

Devinci, Cove, and Xprezo still make frames in Canada.

Rocky might be donw to just one or two models still in Canada.

turner, intense, indyfab.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3centshort View Post
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

Ventana still designs, manufacturers, and paints all of their frames in NorCal.

They're a 15 minute drive away from me...I used to own one of their hardtails, and while I owned it a small crack appeared in the seat post. It was a few months out of warranty but I took it down there, talked to Sherwood, dropped it off, and within 2 days he had cut out the old seatpost, welded in a new one, and repainted the entire thing. He delivered it back to me when I met him on a group ride here two days later. Good people those Ventana folks!
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Devinci, Cove, and Xprezo still make frames in Canada.

Rocky might be down to just one or two models still in Canada.
    I was under the impression Rocky frames were all welded overseas now, but I don't know that for sure. I do know that I really wanted to get a bike from a "small" manufacturer that still made their frames in North America, and the stars aligned and I scored a Devinci for a really nice price. They have some cool vids up on their site walking you through their factory. Also, if you've seen Life Cycles, all that frame manufacturing stuff at the beginning was all filmed at Devinci's HQ in Quebec.

Trek still makes their top-level carbon frames in the US too.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    I was under the impression Rocky frames were all welded overseas now
    2010 Flatline Pro/Worldcup and scandium Element Team where the last ones I know made in Canada. Not sure if they are still does those here.

moots. not big, but US.

trek is the biggest one.

but, really who cares if they are made in Taiwan or Vietnam. they are really really good at making bikes. and the good factories all have in house engineering and testing. all the hottest DH and carbon bikes are made over there. it would be nice if they were made here, but do you want an american made cellphone too?

Turner. Frames are fabricated in Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Turner. Frames are fabricated in Portland.
    Not anymore. SAPA is out of the bike frame business.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Very cool article from Pinkbike a few days ago about their manufacturing. If "Made in the USA" is important to you, it looks like Intense is a very good option as long as you get an Aluminum frame.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/intense...tour-2012.html
    Keep it unclipped

Quote Originally Posted by DirkaDirkaJack View Post
    trek is the biggest one.

but, really who cares if they are made in Taiwan or Vietnam. they are really really good at making bikes. and the good factories all have in house engineering and testing. all the hottest DH and carbon bikes are made over there. it would be nice if they were made here, but do you want an american made cellphone too?
    I think only the top, top end Treks are made in the US.

Regarding Taiwan, they are a country with a pretty serious cycling/bike making history. Lot's of bikes and companies started there (Giant being the big one). When it comes to bikes, this is a much different situation than bikes being made in mainland China because of cheap factories. Buying a Taiwanese bike is kinda like buying skis made in Austria. Still not the US, but at least it's not completely a lowest bidder option.

No clue on 'nam, but it could be a very similar situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    I was under the impression Rocky frames were all welded overseas now, but I don't know that for sure. I do know that I really wanted to get a bike from a "small" manufacturer that still made their frames in North America, and the stars aligned and I scored a Devinci for a really nice price. They have some cool vids up on their site walking you through their factory. Also, if you've seen Life Cycles, all that frame manufacturing stuff at the beginning was all filmed at Devinci's HQ in Quebec.
    Do you have a Wilson? That's on my top 3 list for DH frames this season.
    - - - - Skiing is for little fat kids - - - - - -

A bike is a bike. You can make it wherever you want and it's going to ride the fucking same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

Way to have an unrelevant and completley untrue post at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by ridevt View Post
    Do you have a Wilson? That's on my top 3 list for DH frames this season.
    I wish. Nope, Dixon here. Don't have nearly as much time on it as I'd like given that I didn't get it built up until ~October, and a variety of things have conspired to limit my riding time since, but I'm digging it. Two biggest things I've noticed are that a) it really likes to go fast, and b) it really stays on the ground. I can't say I've ridden a whole heap of bikes, but the Dixon is definitely not what I'd call a "poppy" bike. It likes to suck up everything and keep the wheels on the ground rather than pop off lips.

Quote Originally Posted by KoKopeLLi View Post
    Way to have an unrelevant and completley untrue post at the same time!
    Really, you think my statement was untrue? Tell me, what process is used to imbue a frame with some sort of magical quality based on where it's made? It might make you feel all warm and fuzzy because you happen to care about where its made, but theres no debating that empirically its the same exact bike. Where do you think all the components are made that you're going to use to build up your sweet all-american bike?
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

Quote Originally Posted by birdman829 View Post
    Really, you think my statement was untrue? Tell me, what process is used to imbue a frame with some sort of magical quality based on where it's made? It might make you feel all warm and fuzzy because you happen to care about where its made, but theres no debating that empirically its the same exact bike. Where do you think all the components are made that you're going to use to build up your sweet all-american bike?
    For a $300 mass produced hybrid maybe. But for a carbon frame, the layup process requires a bunch of skill and experience and putting that in the hands of a massive factory system is not a good thing. There is a reason that Trek still makes their top end carbon bikes in the US and the rest in Taiwan (see above post re bikes in Taiwan)...the carbon layup requires experience and skill that makes it worthwhile to them to justify the expense to have it done by experienced, skilled workers paid enough to care.

Ok so now we're assuming carbon bikes only too? Even still I don't think that I'd concede that American factory workers are any more competent than their Taiwanese counterparts whether its aluminum or carbon. Its a complicated process that involves training and precision for sure, I just don't understand why you'd assume overseas workers are inferior. As for why Trek (or anyone else) makes their frames stateside, its at least partly because it sells bikes for reasons other than quality. I see you're a photographer and I wonder if you could tell me, which American made camera do you shoot with?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshP View Post
    Intense is a very good option as long as you get a straight frame.
    Too true...

That's an interesting article, though. Credit to those guys for doing so much in-house.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Not anymore. SAPA is out of the bike frame business.
    All the 2012 will still be made at SAPA.

I think they are making the current Titus EG as well.

There may be another company in Oregon stepping up to fill this nitch.... not sure if thats rumor or truth though.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025