Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    RIP. Today was a terrible day. Very sad.

Terrible news from here in the PNW. Condolences to all.

RIP
    Are we part of the solution, or are we part of the pollution? -M.F.

This USA Today article makes it sound like a survivor was wearing an airbag. Does anybody know if that's true?

"The fourth skier who was swept down the mountain, a woman, appeared to avoid a similar fate because of the avalanche safety device she was wearing, Larson said.
    Such devices include wearable airbags that can be deployed to help a person float atop an avalanche rather than being buried underneath it, or inflatable bags that create space between a person's mouth and the snow. It wasn't immediately known which kind the woman had, said Deputy Chris Bedker of the sheriff's search-and-rescue unit."

Surviving a 1500 ft slide is pretty amazing. As we search for understanding through this loss in the NW ski community, I hope we can better educate ourselves about positive actions we can take be more safe. I'm seriously considering spending my tax return on an airbag...
    Last edited by skimaxpower; 02-19-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo

Ski in the mountains, make choices, face the consequences.

It sucks to see people who were loved by others not live to see the next sunrise.

People die every day. They weren't connected to all of us by the love of sliding on frozen water.

It still sucks but it is still part of the cycle.

Ride in peace.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    This USA Today article makes it sound like a survivor was wearing an airbag. Does anybody know if that's true?

"The fourth skier who was swept down the mountain, a woman, appeared to avoid a similar fate because of the avalanche safety device she was wearing, Larson said.
    Such devices include wearable airbags that can be deployed to help a person float atop an avalanche rather than being buried underneath it, or inflatable bags that create space between a person's mouth and the snow. It wasn't immediately known which kind the woman had, said Deputy Chris Bedker of the sheriff's search-and-rescue unit."

Surviving a 1500 ft slide is pretty amazing. As we search for understanding through this loss in the NW ski community, I hope we can better educate ourselves about positive actions we can take be more safe. I'm not seriously considering spending my tax return on an airbag...
    There's a bit more information coming from ESPN.

According to both Michelson and pro skier Elyse Saugstad, who was also in the party of 13, the slide occurred after a number of skiers had already skied the top section of the line, which funnels into the Tunnel Creek drainage. Saugstad was one of four skiers waiting in the trees approximately 300 vertical feet below the top of the line when the slide was triggered. Michelson, waiting at the top, said the initial slide was approximately 30 feet wide and three feet deep at the crown. It quickly propagated wider into the trees where Saugstad was standing, sweeping away her and two of the other skiers who died. The fourth skier who was standing with them managed to grab hold of a tree and avoid being taken by the avalanche.

Saugstad and the three deceased skiers were carried between 2,000 and 3,000 vertical feet, she and Michelson estimated. Once she was caught, Saugstad immediately deployed an airbag from her backpack, a device she later credited with saving her life. When she came to rest, "I was completely buried except for my head and hands." Both of the deceased skiers she'd been standing with in the trees were found nearby, Saugstad said. One was a few feet from her and the other was approximately 50 feet away. The third deceased skier was carried "several hundred feet" farther down the mountain, Saugstad said.

The remaining skiers who watched the slide from above immediately turned their avalanche transceivers to "search" mode and skied the length of the avalanche track looking for possible victims, Michelson said. (They also called for help.) While descending the slide path they found two ski poles and a ski but did not locate anyone until they came upon Saugstad, whom they subsequently dug out. Saugstad estimated she was in the snow for "less than 10 minutes."

Fucking bummed. I was looking forward to making turns with Chris and Jim Jack sooner rather than later. RIP Chris, Jim Jack, and John Brennan.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Party of 13, geezus.

RIP, didn't know them, but they sounded like awesome people.

Glad an airbag seems to have saved at least one life.

Freakin' sucks...

Here's a shot of ESOD, where mofro reports the Alpental bc slide claimed the life of the snowboarder

I don't think its necessary to armchair quarterback this one. This was a super strong group with more than enough ability and knowledge. sometimes shit just happens. Love to all my friends who passed today. Life will never be the same.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Wow, just terrible.

Vibes as many have sent, and counting the blessings that others were not hurt or killed today.

Too many, too soon this year
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    I don't think its necessary to armchair quarterback this one. This was a super strong group with more than enough ability and knowledge. sometimes shit just happens. Love to all my friends who passed today. Life will never be the same.
    X2: very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    This was a super strong group with more than enough ability and knowledge.
    didn't matter today.

sometimes shit just happens.
    shit always just happens.

RIP to the fallen. vibes to family/friends.

rog

String is offline PowderdDonutsMakeMeGoNuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtree View Post
    Freakin' sucks...

Here's a shot of ESOD, where mofro reports the Alpental bc slide claimed the life of the snowboarder

Tracks down to the crux, looked like he was carried from there to the three trees way down in the runout of the end cliff. It looked so much gnarlier today than when that pic was taken. Sad day.

Not much to add besides condolences to family and friends of the victims . No amount of backcountry experience trumps mother nature. Usually it is the most experienced that perish in slides as they are in harms way more than anyone else. Risk of this sort of thing regardless of how well mitigated is the price we pay to freely explore an uncontrolled environment.
    Last edited by Ski to Be; 02-19-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

RIP. Thoughts and prayers for them and their families. This has been such a tragic season.

RIP Chris and others. My brief time with you was well spent.

so sad just tragic...heart breaking loss for their families, friends and the sport. Never knew them but their contribution to our great sport I am sure will be both praised and missed. Vibes and prayers for their families

First, I read this thinking Zbo and got extremely scared reading this thread. Sigh of relief. But then I saw the list with Chris and Jim Jack...fuck fuck fuck. Condolences to all friends and family.

My wife was saved by an ABS today. If that's not enough reason to get one for yourself than I don't know what is.

A fucked up bag of mixed emotions. Two close friends lost and my wife saved. So happy and so crushed.

RIP Chris, Jim and Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    Jesus. RIP Jim. He might not be as well known as Shane was, but his influence on the sport was just as big. Such a sad day.
    Echoing that. Just crushed right now.
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

This is just devastating.

RIP. thoughts and prayers with those who love them.

Fucking shitty day... Shitty shitty shitty...
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    My wife was saved by an ABS today. If that's not enough reason to get one for yourself than I don't know what is.
    Two close friends lost and my wife saved. So happy and so crushed.
    Heavy...whoa.
    RIP Chris - uber sad to hear of another dude I know dying in the mountains. Sad day indeed.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

This blows. Im Fucking devastated.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Man.... just sad shit. Sorry for everyone here. Sometimes it just goes big. Be safe and thoughts for all of you. Give your lady a big hug Cody, best wishes.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025