Praxis Skis New Direction

Did anyone else catch this on their blog? Looks like they're going to expand their semi-custom layup and design work based on the success of the Wootest. Pretty awesome.

http://praxisskis.com/blog/2012/praxis-new-direction/

That is too cool, hopefully the prices aren't too high ~ Folsom's.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Sweeeeet. Praxis skis kick ass!

Hell yes. I'm 100% sold on Praxis after buying the Concept this season. A semi-custom option would make them unstoppable!

Could be great as long as there are reasonable expectations all round. Going down this road might be similar to how Keith's roll out of new designs in 09 (?) shook out with long waits and some pissed folk. I hope it works, Praxis skis kill it and the more options the better. I know if the money tree had a little more green on it I would have jumped at the wootests.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

^^^ Yeah, it'll definitely slow production down, but if they start early enough it's doable. I think they've gotten their act together since the year when nobody got their skis in time for the season opening. The two pairs I've purchased from them arrived well within the window of expectation.

The thing with the wootest is that it was a windfall. This winter has sucked - especially in tahoe - and the only inventory that's going to move for the rest of the season will be at a significant discount (I'm talking ski shops). Then a bunch of guys from the internet commit to buy 20 or so pairs of skis, so it's worth it for Keith to build them. But the question will be, is it worth it for him to do it on a regular basis? I think if he limits the options to two flexes and a few topsheets, it will be. But if we're talking full customization, he's probably going to have to raise his prices in an already saturated market.

Plus, the wootest is just a variation on a proven design.

If you allow too much design input from the masses, you might end up with this:

^^^lol

Yeah, looks pretty cool. He's come a long way. IDK why, but I looooove that taxi graphic.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    If you looked at production today and production in '09 as far as space and machines, you wouldn't even recognize them as the same company.

I think the options on the Wootest were great. No need to have people getting all fussy with the shapes and rocker profiles trying to turn out a custom ski for each customer. I think flex and topsheet choice are all you really need given how innovative the Praxis lineup has been. Also appreciate Keith keeping prices relatively low compared to the other indie brands.

196 stiff Wootests en route.

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    If you looked at production today and production in '09 as far as space and machines, you wouldn't even recognize them as the same company.
    I thought the options Keith offered back then including the rocker, re-curve etc without the 'custom' prices was a unique and brilliant idea. I'm sure being a new and growing company he was not quite prepared for the extra considerations it entailed, I'm just stoked to see he is bringing back the concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

i hope to ski american made Praxis skis for many years, thanks Keith.
    bobbyf

From what I hear, the new factory setup will allow a much more versatile workflow. So I doubt there will be any issues like the 09 (or whatever year it was) thing. Note that they cranked out a pile of Wootests in pretty short order.

That said, this was the year he actually built a decent amount of stock inventory. And of course it is the year with no snow in Tahoe and much of the rest of the country.

Soooo... current listed prices + the usual 10% coupon kind of thing are a crazy value IMO. You just might nudge your pals a bit

And maybe offer some guerrilla Facebook marketing help by doing the FB "like" thing on the Praxis FB page. Maybe enlist your pals on that front too. And maybe most importantly, also do a few public or "friends of friends" level shares of Praxis wall posts. Wall post comments, likes etc. are good too. Every bit helps get the word out.

Of course this is coming from a rather dedicated fan...

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I thought the options Keith offered back then including the rocker, re-curve etc without the 'custom' prices was a unique and brilliant idea. I'm sure being a new and growing company he was not quite prepared for the extra considerations it entailed, I'm just stoked to see he is bringing back the concept.
    Don't get me wrong it was awesome, however I think he was behind the production curve for awhile. It was a really inefficient space to produce skis back then, now his space allows skis to be produced without many of the time killers that happened before.