Any Community College Professors out there?

Looking for some feedback on the idea of taking a position at a local campus of Colorado Mountain College. Spent 13 years as a classroom Science teacher and have been on sabbatical for a few years. The local CMC is offering some 4 year programs in Sustainability and possibly Education. My question is what’s the environment like in a non-tenured track? Is the politicking similar to that in the school districts or is it a bit more chill? Do you design your own curriculum based on state standards or is it canned for the subject. Is it all “sage on the stage” lecture environments or is there some ‘guide on the side’ and inquiry based pedagogy going on? Are TA’s worth having or do they just end up being a pain in the ass?
    Last edited by DaHeel; 02-17-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeel View Post
    Are TA’s worth having or do they just end up being a pain in the ass?
    I thought TAs were just for the sex. Isn't that why they are called TAs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

have you not seen "Community"???
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I have a buddy who is teaching a class right now at Metro State. Frankly, I'm surprised that they put him in charge of teaching a class. From what it sounds like he gets paid something like $10/hour. It's really just volunteer work, IMO.

Non-Tenure shit sucks balls. My close friend does it and I have heard all the horror stories.

But hey, it is a job, right?

This is how my buddy explained it, paraphrased of course, but you might get the idea..

They want someone to do the required work and teach the required material, challenging students will not be your job, and thinking outside the required material is also not cool......for the simple fact; have you seen what happens when someone does not accept your challenge if you are not tenured? Kids can be chicken shit assholes, they normally will complain, out of their own fears, then you could get burned. Many times it seems kids who would normally fail anyways, complain the loudest.

The job's are highly political, of course a bunch of "Doctors of teaching" get together and knitting circles commence.

But again, it is work, and it might take 4 years before you start making enough money, then they might find a way to cut you and move on to the next cheaper laborer. Seriously.

Colleges in Colorado are cutting back big time. Benefits are gone for new hires adjunct. Benefits used to be required after 1 year. Many grad students are teaching more and more.

good luck.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I teach a course every semester. Pay is good. They let me pick the textbooks and design the course - they just give me a list of topics that I need to cover. No politics or bullshit- I just show up and teach. The students range from total idiots to really bright.

I taught a class at our local community college and it was not a good experience.

Part of the reason for that is that my expectations did not align with reality. so do your homework and learn as much as you can about what is expected from you.

For instance I had planned a mid-term and a final exam. I didn't realize that this would freak the students out. They wanted weekly quizzes so they could know right away if they were passing or failing. To discuss the complaint I went to a meeting with 5 strangers, none of who had observed me teaching. Based on the students reports they proceeded to critique me and my teaching style.

There may have been a racial component as well. I was the only Anglo in the room, and the only one not originally from the area.

shrug Community College is not exactly the repository for the "best and the brightest." My sense was that the students wanted the credential of a degree but were not really interested in learning or challenging themselves.

On their advice, I choose not to seek further employment with them. YMMV, perhaps you have diplomatic skills that I clearly lack, because as they say in academia "the fights are so vicious because the stakes are so low."

FWIW, Ive taught at the university level for years but now have a research appointment, tied to grant funding, and no teaching responsibilities. Have a consulting practice that is growing and found myself missing the classroom. Found a gig at a local career college (eg: for profit) that is taking overflow from the local CCs because of shorter admission times and accelerated programs. Ive been pleasantly surprised. I have total control on text and curriculum development and use alot of IT and online resources in the classroom. Teach basic science, General Bio, Micro, A&P, Chemistry and occasionally Physics to students in the medical professions. Different paradigm from the Uni and graduate programs but Im enjoying it immensely though Im working a ton of hours for less pay than Uni or CC. Taught 2 classes in the past at local CC and would compare the environments favorably though the CC paid better (here in CA) and was less work overall.

Gonna spend some time with the science chair next week. Thanks for the feedback people.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

I believe Summit has done some kind of teaching over the years at CMC. You might want to send him a PM, or maybe he'll post here
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness