Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Westminster Dog Show

Anyone else watch it last night? Some beautiful dogs won best in group. There was a GSD, a doberman, a dalmatian, an Irish setter, etc. And the winner ends up being a Pekingese! Come on, this isn't a dog, it's a dust mop!

That looks like something you could put on a stick and use to dust hard to reach places.

It's fun to watch dog shows sometimes, but I really hate what the breeding has done to dogs. Look at that scrunched face. Recipe for disaster.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

"Best in Show" was not a comedy, it was a 100% accurate documentary.

That dog proves it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

That dog proves it.
    "And to think that in some countries these dogs would be eaten"

I can't believe that damn dog won best in show. What a joke.

Answer me this... how are some of these breeds "purebred"? The announcers made a comment several times last night that "this breed actually has parts of breed x, y, and z." Wouldn't that make it a goddamn mutt? Not that there's anything wrong with mutts, but holy shit- some of the "breeds" they've created are pretty obvious mixes.

Every breed is a mix of this and that... A mutt is a dog that is several breeds, a pure bred is a dog that has parents of the same breed.. if you had two mutts of the same exact breeds, and bred them, you could have the first generation of a new breed so to speak.. it's more complex than that, but it's the general idea.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I can't believe that damn dog won best in show. What a joke.

Answer me this... how are some of these breeds "purebred"? The announcers made a comment several times last night that "this breed actually has parts of breed x, y, and z." Wouldn't that make it a goddamn mutt? Not that there's anything wrong with mutts, but holy shit- some of the "breeds" they've created are pretty obvious mixes.
    Man, that's just racist....
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

That dog proves it.
    After the dog show I was on an El Al flight to Haifa faster than a walnut could roll off a henhouse roof.

I like watching the shows to see some beautiful dogs. I'm not anti small breeds either. They're judged against a standard, not against other dogs, just like every other one in the show. So it's not that some tiny, yippy dog beat out my prefered breeds, but just that some small yippy dog conformed better to that dog's standard than everyone else. Keep that in mind and you'll get less upset watcing conformation shows.

Now, I personally dislike that there never seems to be any Border Collie love in these things. Some attribute it to a split in BC people, some hate having them in conformation shows and prefer to judge them on their working ability and smarts and this hesitancy seems to have bled over to shows like Westminster.
    Last edited by BmillsSkier; 02-15-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    I still call it The Jake.

Despite poking fun at the winner, I do enjoy watching the show because of the sheer diversity of dog breeds. There are some really cool dogs. OK, some not so cool, but different strokes for different folks...

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier
    that some small yippy dog conformed better to that dog's standard than everyone else.
    True, and I'm sure experts on these breeds can tell the difference, but to us laymen we're thinking "looks like a little lump of fur with a pug face, just like every other Pekingese..."

Fucking dog has papers dude.

Well, I was at my usually Starbucks on my mac, and he was across the street at another Starbucks on his mac...
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

i like the dogs but cringe at the folks showing these animals.
    most look like hunched over trolls scooting around the ring, kibbles in their mouth coaxing their charge to look it's best.
    just hoping for better
    bobby

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I like watching but christ some breeds piss me off. Not so much the dog, more what they do to them. I watched the Eukanuba show recently and a German Shepard won best in group but could barely fucking walk. Setters and spaniels are bred to hunt not sweep crumbs off the floor with their coats. If a terrier uses crazy glue and hair gel to accentuate the muzzle then it just doesn't have the muzzle they want. I've seen labs win that ANY normal person could tell are too fat. They had a service dog group with an awesome looking Shepard that could walk with normal hips and the announcer says the group winner has low hips to help with balance...... it couldn't fucking walk normal.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

This was a cool dog from 2010

To the Thingmajigger!

Apparently there was a dog in the Westminster Dog Show that also just ran/is about to run the Iditarod. I couldn't find it online but I heard it on the radio...pretty damn cool.

"Oh yea... the bitch.... Pekingnese, hyperactive, lost in Highland Park area. She was half-dead when I found her."
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^
    thats cool he/she should have won
    one year a newfy won
    why would lewis and clark take a yapper dustmop on an epic journey to explore the west?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by sidewall View Post
    This was a cool dog from 2010
    Shiba-inu, I think? Neighbor's got one if that's the name. Cool dog. Good size.

Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Fucking great!

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Apparently there was a dog in the Westminster Dog Show that also just ran/is about to run the Iditarod. I couldn't find it online but I heard it on the radio...pretty damn cool.
    Fucking cool!

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    why would lewis and clark take a yapper dustmop on an epic journey to explore the west?
    Why would Tibetan monks have Lhasa-apsos guarding the temple? Every dog has a purpose.
    I still call it The Jake.

I was bummed that a Guinea Pig won.

I thought that Dalmation was bad ass.
    Last edited by Downbound Train; 02-16-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

Norwegian Elkhounds never win at these shows.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Why would Tibetan monks have Lhasa-apsos guarding the temple?
    obviously because they didn't have anything worth stealing
    or they would have a real guard dog
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno