Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I don't know. Donna Weinbrecht was/probably still is one of the best, but popped the knee just, you know, doing what she did like a hundred thousand times. A lot of other stories like that. Let's face it, it's not a healthy thing to do. But, I suck anyway, when it comes to that skiing moguls right shit.
    I would say, though, that skiing them right is part of it. Skiing the right moguls is a huge contributor. I don't like a lot of the bumps around now when compared to the 'old days' of the 70's. They're too tightly spaced and more horizontal than vertical in many cases. It's like skiing down a staircase whereas, if you find the right mogul field, the turns are much more obvious and vertical. Also, I won't ski icy moguls, that's just brutal. Soft bumps (fresh snow or corned-up) is much more fun. One last thing, if you're doing it right and not getting late in your turns or blowing out of your line, the impacts are minimal but, that's not always possible. I blew out of my line last weekend and it was a rough ride before I got my speed down. That's a way to get hurt.

^^^ snowboards.

(ducks for cover)

^^ I know but didn't want to say it. We used to have a run that was marked "200 CM Skis Minimum, No Snowboards". That lasted one season until the wailing masses (cry babies) got it changed.

^^^ Love it. Am I remembering correctly that Drunken Frenchman and/or Outhouse had some sort of minimum ski length requirement posted in the 80s?

I saw a mogul field below... on one my bigger Airs / smack in my landing zone

woops, i thought for second , having not scouted the Landing 1st!.....(though I did have spotters )

…..then I realized /No Problem/ I ski those things ...landed a decent 20 footer with a lot distance , about 30 foot(gotta clear those rocks)

it was a good lesson on how easy Moguls can be , when you just relax and Ski em out at a comfortable speed
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    at a comfortable speed
    Tangentially... there's a lot of hate for manufactured, seeded bump courses. But my understanding is that just allows competitors to ski faster than would be possible on natural bumps; like a mountain road vs. a permanent Trans-Am road course. The same skills are involved in both cases, but the seeded course permits faster speed and demands more technical prowess.

Both are impressive; but I'll sure as hell never try to ski natural bumps fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

you don't see 40 year olds zipping bumps.
    True story. None of my mogul skier friends are that young.

I don't know. Donna Weinbrecht was/probably still is one of the best, but popped the knee just, you know, doing what she did like a hundred thousand times. A lot of other stories like that. Let's face it, it's not a healthy thing to do. But, I suck anyway, when it comes to that skiing moguls right shit.
    I'll see your one injury DW and raise you LV,...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    When you do something this much... eventually you're going to blow it. But the point still stands that skiing bumps *correctly* aren't rough on your knees. Just don't ever blow it.

Crashes in the bumps are dangerous. Airs into bumps are sketchy.

Just skiing bumps though....not necessarily so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Sheer-Rocko View Post
    ^^^ Love it. Am I remembering correctly that Drunken Frenchman and/or Outhouse had some sort of minimum ski length requirement posted in the 80s?
    It was Outhouse.

Properly formed bumps are actually really fun to ski zipper (and comparatively easy to poorly formed bumps).

There are almost NO properly formed bumps any more. Whether the fault of snowboards, or short skis, or fat skis, or whatever... they're extremely hard to find nowadays...

I’d like to think that the Japanese skier that sent it at that deer valley comp this season would inspire some of the youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ^^^ snowboards.

(ducks for cover)
    Yup. Snowboards. Ive seen it happen a few times, when they've opened snowmaking whales in the east on a day a lot more people are boarding. Nothing regular about the bumps. Or, do an Alta/Snowbird day, and compare the bumps. Obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Also, I won't ski icy moguls, that's just brutal. Soft bumps (fresh snow or corned-up) is much more fun.
    Well, duh. I see that you aren't from around here.

^^ Yup, you got that right. I don't need to ski icy bumps so why would I? You guys in the east can suffer through that if you want (rhetorical to you as you already clarified you don't) but I won't.

My third day of skiing, my buddy made me take the Outer Limits lift at Kmart, and I watched this dude zip the particularly large and icy bumps on OL. He was wearing a head to toe day glo pink fartbag, no hat. (This was 1985) He was better than he had to be to wear that outfit in public, and, on a good day, that lift is a theater. I said, someday, I'll ski like that. Won't wear that thing, but, I'll ski like that. Never made it

Donna's old stomping grounds, too. There used to be some awesome bump skiers at Kmart.

Edit: Like to see an MRI of that dude's knees today.

Given the current conditions and near term forecast, not much choice.

^^ Yup, you got that right. I don't need to ski icy bumps so why would I? You guys in the east can suffer through that if you want (rhetorical to you as you already clarified you don't) but I won't.
    When it's truly solid ice like after a sleet event they close the runs that aren't groomed. If it's more of just the sub zero rutted nightmare but not closed condition I ski across the tops of them doubling wider turns instead of bouncing around in the trenches.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

My third day of skiing, my buddy made me take the Outer Limits lift at Kmart, and I watched this dude zip the particularly large and icy bumps on OL. He was wearing a head to toe day glo pink fartbag, no hat. (This was 1985) He was better than he had to be to wear that outfit in public, and, on a good day, that lift is a theater. I said, someday, I'll ski like that. Won't wear that thing, but, I'll ski like that. Never made it

Donna's old stomping grounds, too. There used to be some awesome bump skiers at Kmart.

Edit: Like to see an MRI of that dude's knees today.
    Ha! Reminds me of a film trip we were on about 10 years ago. We were at Targhee and had to wear a certain clothing line's next year's stuff. We swapped around so that we each took turns in different clothing. Anyway, it was my turn to wear the 'torchy' outfit, a bright blue/orange combination of pants and jacket. It was hideous by my tastes. We went in for lunch and one of the locals looked at me, up and down. and says "You better be a good skier if you're wearing that." Hopefully I lived up to the clothes.

On another note, did you ever run into John Witt at KMart? He was a World Cup mogul skier who came from there.

Maybe that was him

It is lame to ski moguls?

Anyway, it was my turn to wear the 'torchy' outfit, a bright blue/orange combination of pants and jacket. It was hideous by my tastes. We went in for lunch and one of the locals looked at me, up and down. and says "You better be a good skier if you're wearing that." Hopefully I lived up to the clothes.
    I always wonder where and how some people grow up without learning that talking shit to random people might get you knocked the fuck out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked for Trump all his life.

Must be a rich kid thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear Mountain Mogul Competition is Saturday!

Who's showing their steeze?

I don't think they are going to have the spring bumps that many are hoping for. I'd love to check it out but I'm staying somewhere safer. I'll be doing the pond skim at our hills last weekend.

eta... Recent forecast is saying AM showers and a high of 49... could be pretty darn good.
    Last edited by FLS; 04-03-2019 at 09:51 PM.

If only a few people would have knocked him out, think of what could have been avoided.