Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Spring bumps rule... nothing quite like Bear Peak in Killington in April/May!

if you don't have someone to do it with, it's not worth doing
    "where do y'all keep them moguls in the summertime?"
    -actual quote from actual touron

as for me, i pretty much just drop in parallel...
    to all my friends, it's not the end
    the earth has not swallowed me yet

Hell in the spring I'll bump on my board just for the challenge

I would much rather ski bumps than cruise groomers. But other than in the spring there just don't seem to be much in the way of bumps around here anymore, squashed flat on a regular basis. And since Fortress is gone, the last place that actually didn't groom every run flat is no more. (I'm not counting Norquay, they haven't has enough snow for years for Lone Pine to properly be bumped and skiable).

I heart bumps

Me too...I miss MJ bumps. Never skied bumps in the east, I was way too much of a gaper, and my guess is I will remain a gaper on the EC icy bumps.

It looks like we will be skiing some more bumps around here, if this weather doesnt change soon!!!

not cursing about skiing bumps !!!
    cursing because this fog sucks

ah fuckit
    Points on their own sitting way up high

I hate bumps, haven't seen much reason to do them ever. I don't ski enough to have that kind of free time to stay out of the woods or whatnot. Never really tried to be good in em, due to never seeing the point. I'd rather rip into the trees or mach and launch off of random things.

Yes. Incrediably lame. At least when you suck like I. That's why I skied them on Monday until my feet hurt. Challenges, everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by jonski
    Some of you Summit County Mangs gotta admit that a few laps of Echo chair at Gaperidge, or hitting International or Palli bumps at the Basin, and similar stuff around the county can be good fun every now and again.

Especially over the Holiday periods when they are about the only trails on the hill not full of gapers....
    I totally agree! Powder and trees and killer steeps are king, but when I make my way back to the lift I always look for (albeit short) bump runs. I love the challenge of trying to make it completely top to bottom without stopping on Pallavicini Face. When I feel my thighs getting too large for my liking, a quick (ha!) run down Catdancer at Skeytone will put things right again Doing these sort of marathon bump runs all day definitely takes its toll now that I'm in my 40's, but I would far rather zip a great line away from the gapers than slide down an icy sheet of death.

I firmly believe, "Moguls are your friends" and I've been doing them since I was a beginner (the challenge??? )

And....when you have moguls and fresh powder, who needs anything else? It's like visually skiing in Heaven or something....especially since you get the run all to yourself most times. Mogul chutes are sure ways to avoid gaper excess.

I really like to try things that are too hard for me because then they aren't for long!
    "Shhhh! I hear a snowflake!"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pinner
    It's lame to ski bumps lamely. It's cool to zipper em.[SIZE=1]
    And there ya go.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Survey says...

Those who suck at 'em hate 'em

Those that are good at 'em love 'em

But I will take a powder day anyday over bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog
    Survey says...

Those who suck at 'em hate 'em

Those that are good at 'em love 'em
    I have the same theory for rails.

i freakin hate rails
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Typically, I try to ski the softest snow I can find, but today was different. Inspired by this TR, I charged into the bumps after a warm up groomer. I actively sought out bumps the rest of the day. I decided they are a good exercise in edge angulation and pressure, but then again, so's side-slipping.

If skiing were a diner it might go something like this,

"I'll have an order of pow, please."

"Sorry, it hasn't snowed in weeks."

"I guess I'll take bumps then."

But you gotta eat, right?

Conclusion: Skiing hard packed bumps is lame if there is an untracked powder field right next to them. (Powder bumps= FUN)
    Live by the golden rule.

A bad day in the moguls is better than a good day of work. Skiing is skiing.
    So true.

Where I live we have only small hills and usually no pow. Options: bumbs and park...and maybe gates sometimes.

I take bumbs for keeping my skiing sharp...it's a good work out, and still skiing. And pow feels actually easy after skiing zipper lines over and over. My back aches though...but what can you do? I'll try to tele once in a while but I still suck that much on teles it's just not as much fun.

I even registered to the freestyle ski club after a 10 year hiatus...doing some coaching. The good thing is that we ski/make/reconstruct our own zipper lines in every training sessions. That meaning: a snow cat flatten outs the old ruts for us, brings back some more snow, making piles of snow as starting points of moguls & kickers, then we shovel & shape the kickers (they're much like mini table tops these days) and then only the (relatively) good skiers ski to form the zipper line --> end result = soft bumbs with round moguls...hmmmmmm, good.

The coolest thing was that the other day the mogul World Cup Winner of 1987! (and bronze medalist of World Championships of -86) was skiing with us...throwing nice triple twisters and some helis, not to mention skiing...well..quite fast...
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 01-27-2005 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    I have the same theory for rails.

i freakin hate rails
    I can easily justify hating rails-

I like my bases and edges the way they are.

along with my face, shoulders, wrists,etc.

I can easily justify hating rails-

I like my bases and edges the way they are.

along with my face, shoulders, wrists,etc.

balls, progeny, etc.

Well I guess I'm happy,& stoked that I might have some one to ski bumps with!!!...

ITS TOO FUKING BAD THAT THEY WILL be COMING FROM OUT OF TOWN

so all that being said in a more peacefull tone.

when there is no pow up the LCC or the BCC dont be afraid to look at that line and nod...

I'll be right behind you!

zippiing away on my BIGS.

Cause bumps rule you fuking pussies!!!!

die thread die!!

look at this....

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24063

its much better
    Last edited by MacDaddy; 01-28-2005 at 11:01 AM.

Here in precipitationally challenged Colorado ,bumps are unfortunately unavoidable.I cut my teeth on the 2' ice moguls at the Basin.I've done it & I can still do it,but it's not my preference.I'm over it.I'm not down for tail waggin,stick chasin ,mogul-mo's.I'll take low angle powder at Vail over 4-6" of dust on a huge icy mogul.If the snow is soft, bumps are fun,but there's no comparison to pow.I'm much happier on my big skis rather than my all mtn's.
    Last edited by freshie247; 01-28-2005 at 12:09 AM.
    Calmer than you dude

It's lame to watch me TRY to ski moguls.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead
    It's lame to watch me TRY to ski moguls.
    AT LEAST YOU TRY!

some of the wanna be ROCK STARS AROUND HERE WONT EVEN....

Ski what you can get.
    If bumps are the only choice, then ski them.
    Ditto for crud.
    It ain't about what is cool and what is not cool.
    Powder takes all priority. Anyone skiing bumps on a pow day is plain stupid, or ill-informed.

As for a challenging bump run, ever see the egg crate on the Mt. Fort?
    I love that run, a true ass kicker, even when one skis it well.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Midwestern groomer killer seeks advice on zipper-lining mogul runs. Anyone got the goods?
    "I smell varmint puntang."

Quote Originally Posted by FNG
    Midwestern groomer killer seeks advice on zipper-lining mogul runs. Anyone got the goods?
    What worked for me...

Get yourself a pair of 210 PRE slalom skis. Never let them get at more than a 45 Degree angle to the bumps. The rest- you will figure out. Self preservation takes over.

What worked for me...

Get yourself a pair of 210 PRE slalom skis. Never let them get at more than a 45 Degree angle to the bumps. The rest- you will figure out. Self preservation takes over.
    To a certain extent, that worked for me as well (replace the 210 Pre slalom skis with whatever I was on when I was 13). Best advice I got was at Holiday Valley while struggling through the bumps on Champagne. Dude, who I believe called himself Hoop, told me to stop fighting and just let 'em run. A key turned and a door opened.

And, to contribute to the topic at hand, I pretty much skied bumps exclusively during my teen years and I still enjoy a good zipper line now and then (of course, now I also like to throw some GS turns into the bumpy mix). East Coast glades often turn into bump runs with trees in them so moguls really are hard to avoid. Best be on your game.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and the lamest thing in skiing (or anything) is not doing something cause it's been dubbed lame),
    d.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss
    I hate bumps, haven't seen much reason to do them ever. I don't ski enough to have that kind of free time to stay out of the woods or whatnot. Never really tried to be good in em, due to never seeing the point. I'd rather rip into the trees or mach and launch off of random things.
    i read this, and thought exactly what gin posted.
    all ec glades get bumped up. to ski agressivly through EC trees you have to be able to ski bumps.

how can you spend all your time in the woods and not ski bumps???