Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

It is lame to ski moguls?

Plake recent posted a mogul vid of himself on IG. Loose style, summer bumps, just cruising in his fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Plake recent posted a mogul vid of himself on IG. Loose style, summer bumps, just cruising in his fancy pants.
    Yeah, i saw that and i thought, I'm not the only one who cant ski moguls as well as i once did.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Yeah, i saw that and i thought, I'm not the only one who cant ski moguls as well as i once did.

Lol. Possibly

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Outstanding photo's, everytime...

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

Today he posted a vid of himself bashing bumps on a monoski in west bowl(?) at mammoth.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

There's gotta be a body weight to height ratio chart that correlates FIS wins with those metrics.

Kingsbury is 5' 9" and 149.5 lbs.

Just like a car, unsprung mass needs to be reduced, to make an efficient suspension and nice ride.

Heavy legs = bad form and main body mass gets thrown all about.

Whatever legs you have, take 10 lbs off the unsprung mass, and another 20 lbs off the sprung mass, and it is going to help in the moguls a lot.

Just a late night mogul thesis.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    really good info in this thread
    I'm with you, I think there's a lot of great bump skiing advice over at PugSki, although it can tip into over-analysis and meaningless minutia from time to time. But anything jack97, MisterMoose, or tBall says is gold. Far better than most of the mogul advice you'll find here (our own ill-advised strategy and bendtheski, among others, knows their stuff) or on NewSchoolers for instance (all the former cares about is the length of your skis and all the later cares about is the length of your Ts).
    "the stance that is ideal for the next turn"
    But, regarding the original question, my opinion is the best approach is exactly what that IDOne video shows: slide/smear/skid/steer down the slope in an upright, feet-together stance until you come to the back side of the bump, quick edge set, pole plant, flex knees/hips to release edges, and drive your tips into the trough as quickly as possible. So the slide/skid part of the turn is of variable length, as opposed to the edge set, pole plant, edge release part which is as fast as you can cleanly complete it.

But, you're kinda wasting your time discussing that here. I've generally found that folks who really like to carve and those that are too hardcore to ski inside the ropes are very uncomfortable with (or too proud to use) a skidded/smeared turn.

And none of this addresses the all-important absorption and extension aspect...
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Kingsbury is 5' 9" and 149.5 lbs.
    Most pro bumpers are between 5'7" and 6'2"; definitely shorter than the avg downhiller, so you might be on to something there.
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    Most pro bumpers are between 5'7" and 6'2"; definitely shorter than the avg downhiller, so you might be on to something there.
    Maybe that's why Full Tilt also has an edge in sales in Freestyle/Moguls.

Perhaps there is even an untapped market for ultra-light ski+boot+binding combos for comp mogul skiers.

In a world of milliseconds and high-impact/high-pace courses, drop 1 lb of unsprung mass = GOLD podium.

Full Tilt
    I know mogul skis are generally pretty light, but nowhere near as light-weight as touring skis. Start zipperlining on those and you'll improve your unsprung weight and podium times, if you make it to the finish line.

And, if light skis have a benefit for bumpers, I think it's all because of the importance of aerials these days.

I think Full Tilt's corner on the market is mostly because of their flex profile.

As to why medium-height folks tend to excel at moguls, I could speculate, but you'd have to ask a better kinesthesiologist than me to know for sure.

But, you're kinda wasting your time discussing that here. I've generally found that folks who really like to carve and those that are too hardcore to ski inside the ropes are very uncomfortable with (or too proud to use) a skidded/smeared turn.
    Huh??? Are you serious or just trolling? Sliding, pivoting, smearing, whatever you want to call it, are heavily used by those too hardcore to ski inside the ropes.

Please read:
    https://www.skimag.com/gear/the-wisdom-of-saucer-boy

“Slide instead of carve!

Yes, believe it or not this is something that you should be trying to do in the powder.”

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    you serious or just trolling? Sliding, pivoting, smearing, whatever you want to call it, are heavily used by those too hardcore to ski inside the ropes.
    Name:  Spider-Man - Stupid.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  55.0 KB

Not trolling, just ignorant. I thought these fancy pow skis made you able to ski knee-deep like it was a groomer. But I don't know shit about powder skis, powder skiing, or powder in general.

And, there are none more hardcore than the originator of the idea of powder skis himself (RIP), so if he said it, I believe it.
    Last edited by CS2-6; 07-07-2019 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Man, am I stupid.

Name:  Spider-Man - Stupid.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  55.0 KB

Not trolling, just ignorant. I thought these fancy pow skis made you able to ski knee-deep like it was a groomer. But I don't know shit about powder skis, powder skiing, or powder in general.

And, there are none more hardcore than the originator of the idea of powder skis himself (RIP), so if he said it, I believe it.
    Not trolling, just ignorant. I thought these fancy pow skis made you able to ski knee-deep like it was a groomer. But I don't know shit about powder skiing.

Jimmy two times
    https://youtu.be/CfW-MPUjC_0

And yes the new powder skis do let you carve knee deep like corduroy

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Jimmy two times
    Goddamn copy/pastepaste
    Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    new powder skis do let you carve knee deep
    Ok, so I take it a smeared/pivoted turn is less important to powder skiers these days.

Goddamn copy/pastepaste

Ok, so I take it a smeared/pivoted turn is less important to powder skiers these days.
    I mean usually you hear that complaint that powder skiers couldn't buy a carve if they wanted to. That's not true, but there's a good amount of sliding around going on

Intermission. I like the realness. Keeping it real in learning and practice.

Intermission
    Nice video. Cool mix of smooth-bumping styles. As a side note, I've seen that kind of terrain before -- mostly in videos of European mountains above the treeline (glaciers, I'm assuming). I don't think I've ever seen that sort of "zipperline river" as opposed to a mougul field stateside though. Anybody know anything about that?

It is lame to ski moguls?

Ah video, great tool for improvement IMO. Your friend might blow smoke up your ass, but the camera never lies! I never saw so many people’s illusions about their skiing shattered as during my K-Town viddy days, but everyone improved as a result, or stopped showing up.

From Bumpapalooza 2018. I stayed away this year to give my new hip a chance to settle in.
    https://youtu.be/yrRvKItaVHg

Any killintin regulars will probably see some familiar styles/faces. I rarely end up on the other side of the camera, but threw some POV of skiing with my feet together into a 2nd piece:
    https://youtu.be/AVwU1mSO-8g
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Cool vids. Love the slow-mo one.

Edit: Just gonna throw this one out as well as an easily understandable exercise that almost all intermediate skiers could try:

Last edited by puregravity; 07-08-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    skiing with my feet together
    Fucking glued.

Man, that first dude, in the black helmet and gray pants, is fucking smooth as hell. I'm envious of his performance.

And did I see The Hammer in there?

Nice vid. I didn't even mind your artsy editing. Thanks for cooling off my summer day a little bit.

INTERMISSION.
    TIME TO LET YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS DO THE WORK.
    THINK OF SOMETHING ELSE.

DAMN. THAT MOONWALK!
    and those SPLITS :O

Fucking glued.

Man, that first dude, in the black helmet and gray pants, is fucking smooth as hell. I'm envious of his performance.

And did I see The Hammer in there?

Nice vid. I didn't even mind your artsy editing. Thanks for cooling off my summer day a little bit.
    That was Hammer. My Killington years were 1993-2002. I stayed at the Roach Motel with Stopher and got to know most of the local rippers. Kind of derailed my bike career at 30, but changed my entire outlook on winter. Killington had quite a scene back in the day. I kind of have different priorities now, but it was easy to get caught up in the competitiveness of the place back then. It was kind of like showing up for a weekly CAT 1/2 race for 7 months a year, and the competition were also friends, coaches and judges. (some in real life)

People ask me how to get better at bump skiing, and I’m challenged to offer a simple answer. Hot tub time machine to Killington in the 90’s for starters, and of course get yerself some Fate pants!

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    That was Hammer. My Killington years were 1993-2002. I stayed at the Roach Motel with Stopher and got to know most of the local rippers. Kind of derailed my bike career at 30, but changed my entire outlook on winter. Killington had quite a scene back in the day. I kind of have different priorities now, but it was easy to get caught up in the competitiveness of the place back then. It was kind of like showing up for a weekly CAT 1/2 race for 7 months a year, and the competition were also friends, coaches and judges. (some in real life)

People ask me how to get better at bump skiing, and I’m challenged to offer a simple answer. Hot tub time machine to Killington in the 90’s for starters, and of course get yerself some Fate pants!
    Ah geezus...you know Ruffus? And Valhouli before his time? The 80's were a scene also.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Ah geezus...you know Ruffus? And Valhouli before his time? The 80's were a scene also.
    I’ve only heard of Valhouli, mostly from Frendel. Ruffus was a good skier, but now apparently more into tea-bagging on the kite-board and raising kids.

I miss those days and people A LOT! I feel like I knew at the time we were all living through something unique, but were having to much fun to care! I’ve got a ton of video from the old days, but always looking for the next adventure with the next posse, which opportunity presents less and less since moving west.

Apparently western skiers aren’t fond of either bumps or a non-stop dialogue of ball breaking, which is unfortunate after all the hard work I’ve put into both...

Bumpapalooza is a once a year event, but I’m around all year if anyone wants pointers on skiing glued. That countered stance piece was good intel IMO, and kind of the center-piece of my approach anymore. IMO, the focus should be downhill through hips and core, with lower body, feet tracking contours avoiding pulling the rest out of square with forward/downhill motion.

Lower or upper body movements which force rotation of center of mass fuck up your fore/aft-side/side balance, and put the skier in a constant late/recovery cycle. Inevitably the skier gets later and more off balance and implodes.

In my old age I’m trying to focus on efficiency and economy of motion. My body is telling me I should have started 30 years earlier.