Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

It is lame to ski moguls?

Stealing the idea from Grizzle6

This past weekend I skied Alta and Solitude with some really good (skiers) friends from Denver, and since we haven’t had any fresh in a while, they ended up looking for the steepest and most challenging bump runs on the mountain. That sucked, I'm still pissing blood!

I know the Utarded crew here hates bumps, so what gives? Do you ski bumps? Is it not cool anymore? Is it only a Denver, Winter Park, Mary Jane thing?
    Does it hurt your knees?... pussies?

I find the later very ironic, because of the heavy punishment most of the "Alta, crew huckers", put their body through. I would think there is more risk in dropping a 50’ bomb, than skiing High Rustler from top to bottom with out stopping, and just puking at the bottom like I did on Friday!
    Points on their own sitting way up high

I still love a good fast bump line....but I won't go seeking them out anymore for sure.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

whatever you big liar
    I've seen you Stacy it up in the bumps
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Amen, there's a reason we're not called the "Bump Maggots", right?

My knees hate me after i ski bumps.

That is all.
    you sketchy character, you

I think it is more that we like to ski soft snow rather than hard (I'm not answering for the huckers, you know my stand on that). I actually like spring bumps but when things are frozen like concrete, the Denver guys can have their zipper lines, back aches and knee pads (with sick twister-spreads). When the bumps are soft and you can turn on them, I like to moto through and double /triple them, often making motorcycle noises as I go. This weekend was a great example of how to avoid the bumps; go skin up across the street and get nice corn turns instead. Looking down into Honeycomb made me yell for Woodsy but I don't think he heard me.

On top of all that, I am a pussy sooo...
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by yossarian
    whatever you big liar
    I've seen you Stacy it up in the bumps
    those days up at Hood were probably the last that I played around them.

Love,
    Stacy
    One Gear, Two Planks

Not only lame, but I heard it's gay, too.

Bumps suck, I'd never go near 'em.
    [quote][//quote]

FYI so Denvoids that ski at the Jane avoid the bumps like the plague a just cruise around in the woods getting high. Firm bumps suck. Soft bumps suck less but if the bumps are soft there is prolly pow in the trees. I'll super G a field of spring bumps but otherwise you'll find we elsewhere. Smooth and soft is where it is at.

You'll have to bring up the bumpfag think with Rodent99 and Cornholio. Those dudes can wiggle with the best of them.

people who say mogul skiing sucks probably suck at skiing moguls.

So I think mougul skiing sucks.

But sometimes it's the only way to avoid the gapers, and if you can rip icy Eastern moguls, you can ski anything.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

ice bumps are fun. you guys are crazy. ice mouglecross is the extreamo event of our lifetime, and you all just look right past it like its not even there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki
    Not only lame, but I heard it's gay, too.
    It's only gay if you mount them.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I only mount the female bumps.
    [quote][//quote]

You're all sissys.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

I'm coming out in favor of getting Stacy. I grew up in the bumps at MJ, and I will still occasionally once in a blue moon want to go do my best zipperline impersonation. I like it, I was once pretty good at it, and it's still fun. If you do it right, it doesn't hurt much at all.

Of course, I'd rather be powder skiing. And I haven't really skied bumps in something like 10 years, at least not the way I used to. But if you made choose between icy groomers and semi-solid bumps, I'd choose the bumps.

Plus, they kind of remind me of a field of boobies, and I like boobies.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Variety is the spice of life. Bumps are one aspect and if you shun them then you are a pussy, to choose them over a fresh powder line is just plain stupid. A bad day in the moguls is better than a good day of work. Skiing is skiing.
    "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    I'm coming out in favor of getting Stacy. I grew up in the bumps at MJ, and I will still occasionally once in a blue moon want to go do my best zipperline impersonation. I like it, I was once pretty good at it, and it's still fun. If you do it right, it doesn't hurt much at all.

Of course, I'd rather be powder skiing. And I haven't really skied bumps in something like 10 years, at least not the way I used to. But if you made choose between icy groomers and semi-solid bumps, I'd choose the bumps.

Plus, they kind of remind me of a field of boobies, and I like boobies.
    Ha, I remember an afternoon of bump skiing with this guy years ago, more than one twister-spread was thrown, only partially as a joke. Also the time Cletus pioneered landing switch, at speed, in the bumps.
    I take it back. Bumps are cool.
    [quote][//quote]

I know I have the same kind of background as Tyrone as far as this subjectl.
    For about 6 years or so...all I did was ski bumps. Growing up in the East, and before the days of terrain parks...or before skiers were allowed in parks, we skied bumps. Over and over again and again. I still enjoy in once and a while, and I think its definately part of skiing, everyone should be able to ski bumps competently. AFter my first trip to Utah, i definately opened my eyes and realized that I was missing out on sooo much ziperlining ice bumps all day, started looking for trees, pow, and making bigger turns that the one knees glued bump turn I had grown to know and love...and use in every situation.
    so i guess...not gay, unless thats all you do and wear knee patches.

Learning on bumps at outer limits at killington and goat and liftline at stowe has made me a better skier. But the miniscus in my knees hates me. That was back in the late seventies and early eighties.

And bumps rule. If you can ski them.

Looks like I'll be taking up bump skiing here if things don't change - Avie conditions extreme and inbounds its all ice or slush and unhappy gapers on too few trails.....gonna have to borrow some skis from work, my exploders are just too much work for more than a run or 2 in the bumps .

anyone remember that website with Stacy all over it? I tried googling for it but couldn't dig it up.
    One Gear, Two Planks

[QUOTE=Plakespear]
    But sometimes it's the only way to avoid the gapers, and if you can rip icy Eastern moguls, QUOTE]

This is especially true on any runs made after 3PM.
    "Don't drive angry."

Best quote from the movie "Groundhog Day"

For me, the essence of skiing is steep, sustained lines - I would prefer that they be blower powder, second choice is heavier pow, then crud, then packed powder....all the way down to frozen slush bumps

So, I'll ski bumps if that's what's offered - don't swizzle them though, that's gay - find a line and GS/air through them.

[disclaimer: I love skiing Aspen Mountain, which has a couple 'o bumos ]
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Idris
    gonna have to borrow some skis from work, my exploders are just too much work for more than a run or 2 in the bumps .
    Tell me about it!! I was skiing on my BIGS 4X4s and skied bumps most every run. I am hurtin!!
    Points on their own sitting way up high

I don't seek out bumps like I used to, but I'll ride them all day if I notice that I'm getting out of shape.

Do the bumps seem different nowadays, though? Or is it just me? I think the boards and short skis have altered them a little.
    More gauze pads, please hurry!