Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Saw this on the lot this morning...

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for ďthe perfect.Ē But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they canít wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

Has anyone skied these? thoughts?

https://4frnt.com/products/originato...FcpMDQodabMIQA
    DISCLAIMER: I am only a fry cook. The foregoing statements are merely observations from a fellow forum member and do NOT constitute legal advice. Do NOT rely on the foregoing observations. If you seek counsel from an attorney, engage one. If your fries are soggy, file a complaint with restaurant management.

I'm a clapped out ol bump racer, I still love them. meniscus in my knees are all torn, spine is compressed to shit, but damn they are fun
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
    Stealing the idea from Grizzle6

This past weekend I skied Alta and Solitude with some really good (skiers) friends from Denver, and since we havenít had any fresh in a while, they ended up looking for the steepest and most challenging bump runs on the mountain. That sucked, I'm still pissing blood!

I know the Utarded crew here hates bumps, so what gives? Do you ski bumps? Is it not cool anymore? Is it only a Denver, Winter Park, Mary Jane thing?
    Does it hurt your knees?... pussies?

I find the later very ironic, because of the heavy punishment most of the "Alta, crew huckers", put their body through. I would think there is more risk in dropping a 50í bomb, than skiing High Rustler from top to bottom with out stopping, and just puking at the bottom like I did on Friday!

Local annual old school meeting

1987 World Cup Champ Martti Kellokumpu cleared the table...to no-one's surprise (edit: pretty much 30 years after the world cup gold - hats off!)

Yours truly mixing up some 90s to the show (photo by Mikko Piispa)

Untitled by Mikko, on Flickr

205cm SL:s = hard to jump...people were throwing triple-combos but IMHO some cheating around, heh...modern twintips are so much easier to throw around!
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 03-20-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Snowboarding killed mogul skiing
    That'ts a bummer. I can remember skiing a lot of great bumps at Alpental back in the eighties. Big Chief at Steven's Pass probably has the best bump skiing that I can remember. I recently watched a sweet pow vid of a snowboarding friend who did end up traversing across where the bump field would form along the Chief trails. But we all used to traverse out of the woods there. Anyway...I still love to ski bumps when I can!

Bumps suck, they ruin the straightline potential. Lame shit. Obviously gotta be a kook to like bumps

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Bumps suck, they ruin the straightline potential. Lame shit. Obviously gotta be a kook to like bumps
    If everyone went straight we'd just have rows of long bumps.
    Then where would we be? Nowhere, exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Just point'em then. That's what Candide would do
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

I ski moguls, I like to ski moguls. If that makes me lame, then I like being lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiehkevarri View Post
    Just point'em then. That's what Candide would do
    Great Scott at snowbird is a leg destroying mogul field right now... new cold snap may turn it in to icy death but conditions dependent I'll do it next time I'm on the hill and post the result... won't be pretty.

Name:  oldguybumper.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  61.6 KB

Video from last year.
    Some background... 41 yrs old
    ex Comp mogul skier from mid nineties. Coached for years and did well as I enjoyed it and I was really good at yelling and motivating kids.

I knew when I was in my late 20's I was going to do the Provincial Champs when I turned 40. I told no-one except my wife and an ex-athlete of mine who became a friend and agreed to be my coach. When the registration list was released the day before training people thought it was a joke and I got a few messages. No joke... Serious old mogul skier is serious.
    Training went well with one massive crash that hurt like hell. Honestly took me 3 weeks to recover.

Super fun experience as many athletes I had coached were there watching / coaching including a current national team skier who I coached as a kid. As well one of the coaches who taught me alot and who was a mentor was in attendance.

8 th place overall and first in my age category! (obviously) I beat a lot of kids who should be ashamed that a fat old bald guy beat them. Thought I would share the video finally.
    Moguls made me a great skier and now I can happily stay away from the zipper line and comp mogul airs for the rest of my life. or till I'm 50!

Spread twist twist!!!!

Not the best vid but worth the watch if you cheer for the old guys!

comp runs are the two shot from the start.

Bumps are kinda sick honestly, hitting more so chopped up pow and softer bumps is even way more sick though. Bumps in the trees and really just styling your line and hitting a nice air everyonce in a while in my opinion is way more fun than straight lining. That you don't really get much out of it and no difficulty with the lines, and that takes out the fun! Unless your skiing like steep spines, but still you should be turning on that too, its just chill to turn

Good stuff, jetski. It seems like most of the bumpers out there have ages that start with a 4 or a 5

Wow....
    I haven't skied a mogul comp since 1996. Haven't hit kickers in almost that long. This year I was invited to help do a little improvised mogul comp at our little hill. Improvised kickers, landing in ice bumps. About to turn 40 soon. 250 lbs. I have completely forgotten how to jump, so I had to just keep slamming and slamming trying to get something together for the comp. I can still ski bumps (I think...) but the airs...the airs were killing me.
    I wanted so badly to hit my 360 in the comp, nope...ate my knees.
    This was 3 days of throwing airs into ice bumps and more slams in one week than in the previous like 10 years combined. Both knees are sore, both thumbs, a shoulder, shins....I feel like I just crashed my truck on the way home from bullriding at the rodeo.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post

Video from last year.
    ex Comp mogul skier from mid nineties. Coached for years and did well as I enjoyed it and I was really good at yelling and motivating kids.

I knew when I was in my late 20's I was going to do the Provincial Champs when I turned 40. I told no-one except my wife and an ex-athlete of mine who became a friend and agreed to be my coach. When the registration list was released the day before training people thought it was a joke and I got a few messages. No joke... Serious old mogul skier is serious.
    Training went well with one massive crash that hurt like hell. Honestly took me 3 weeks to recover.

Super fun experience as many athletes I had coached were there watching / coaching including a current national team skier who I coached as a kid. As well one of the coaches who taught me alot and who was a mentor was in attendance.

8 th place overall and first in my age category! (obviously) I beat a lot of kids who should be ashamed that a fat old bald guy beat them. Thought I would share the video finally.
    Moguls made me a great skier and now I can happily stay away from the zipper line and comp mogul airs for the rest of my life. or till I'm 50!

Spread twist twist!!!!

Oh shoot this video is absolutely amazing! I loved watching this, absolutely crushed it my man! Bib number 59 in for the win if you ask me!

Nice helis! Didn't got the guts to try those on 205s this year (did a few last year...surprisingly hard compared to the modern skis. This year the kicker was so tight that the skis barely fit to the curve of the jump...I was afraid that I am going to crack those planks Might have to try shorter skis next year...eventhough the whole idea of our event is to go fully old school!)

but the airs...the airs were killing me.
    "The WTF: The craziest thing about a bump comp isn’t the actual bumps. It’s the few seconds leading up to the kicker. Good skiers plan ahead. Good skiers don’t drink beer all day. Knees together, upper body square but fluid, pole plant, pole plant, you got this…Where’s Terry? There he is. Right with me. Go faster! Here comes the jump. I think I’ll do a twister. Nah, did that last time. Hurry up and decide, man. Is that dirt in my mouth? Here it comes. Maybe a backscratcher? Haven’t done one since high school, but…oh shit… And then it’s some kind of twister spread or spread eagle with such a hard landing it knocks your hat and sunnies clean off."

From Powder Mag Article:
    http://www.powder.com/stories/bring-...Lklwmx8ytSA.97

The kickers seem to come up quicker and quicker every year...just casually bashing the bumbs isn't that hard - but the comp runs with airs is totally different thing! (But I guess if you do those once in a while = very good for your overall skiing?)

Hey...can one of you guys help me out with something?

I couldn't figure out exactly how you're supposed to figure time into the 60-20-20 judging format....

the USSA manual has a formula for figuring a pace time, and says speed is worth 20 points...but I wasn't able to figure how actual run time versus pace time produced a point value.

Anybody able to educate me on that?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Both knees are sore, both thumbs, a shoulder, shins....I feel like I just crashed my truck on the way home from bullriding at the rodeo.

I know that feeling

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post

Video from last year.

Spread twist twist!!!!

Completely fucking awesome. Seriously.

Not sure if a lot of people who casually ski bumps understand how difficult those courses can be (although the pics do make this one look a little softer than most). Way to go handing a bunch of those kids their asses. POTD, week, month, maybe year. Advance out of Provincials next year?
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Hey...can one of you guys help me out with something?

I couldn't figure out exactly how you're supposed to figure time into the 60-20-20 judging format....

the USSA manual has a formula for figuring a pace time, and says speed is worth 20 points...but I wasn't able to figure how actual run time versus pace time produced a point value.

Anybody able to educate me on that?
    Maybe...so you got the pace time by dividing course length by the constant (9.7m/s for men?), here is what I think is next: pace time would be a 6.0 out of a possible 7.5 points (so 80%). You then calculate actual times as a percentage of the pace time, which would then move that 6.0 up or down in 1% increments.

So say pace time is 100 seconds (long course)--a skier who takes 110 seconds is 10% slower, so loses .6 points (10% of 6), and gets a 5.4 in speed.

I think the above is probably right.

Or just make it a dual and forget about it.

Or get Buster to create something based on differential equations or something even scarier.
    [quote][//quote]

I like that. Thanks
    Can anyone confirm or deny that's how USSA and/or FIS actually does it?

And yes, for a shwag springtime local hill mogul comp, duals would be the most fun way to go by far. Twice the kicker-building though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Completely fucking awesome. Seriously.

Not sure if a lot of people who casually ski bumps understand how difficult those courses can be (although the pics do make this one look a little softer than most). Way to go handing a bunch of those kids their asses. POTD, week, month, maybe year. Advance out of Provincials next year?

Thanks Dex! Appreciate the positive comments. Not sure why but I was hesitant to post the footage.
    Course was to spec. Super warm so the sides were soft but the ruts were huge!

At this level most kids choose the outside lines leaving the inside less skied. I was super nervous second run as I thought the bumps would be over my head. Luckily it was slipped in between runs and when I showed up they were perfect!

yes

i realized fairly quickly for someone of my intellectual capacity that snowboarding moguls is at least not fun for extended periods and, for me, any periods. in hindsight, it seems possible that snowboarding moguls could be lame, in the possibly least judgmental connotation of that word.