Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    i like to crush bumps using my snoboarder pals method, a lot of top and little trough.

Quote Originally Posted by DaffyJeffy View Post
    Some of us remember a day before corporate grooming and shaped skis. Back then it was easy to tell who the expert skiers were. As a young skier riding the chairlift, I was in awe of skiers who could carve fluid, fast, confident turns on variable conditions. It made a big impression on me and I always had something to strive for with my own skiing and in some ways, I'm still working on trying to look like one of the hard-core locals I saw when I was a kid.

Fast-forward to the era of power-tilled corduroy, fat, shaped skis and manicured "features" and everyone looks the same from the lift. Obviously because we made skiing a whole lot easier. This is why I love mogul skiing. To this day it truly separates great skier from mediocre ones.

Now let me define mogul skiing: If you are making wide "GS" turns and leapfrogging over fluffy bumps on an intermediate slope, you ARE NOT mogul skiing. Mogul skiing is fast, aggressive, fall-line skiing directly down the zipperline on steep terrain covered with large NATURAL bumps (as opposed to seeded bumps). It requires a special technique, supreme fitness, and practice...LOTS of practice. As a bonus, you have to perform or explode directly below the chairlift.

Now lets keep it real. Modern powder skiing is pretty easy. Who can't straight-line down a pillow-line of fluffy powder with 100mil underfoot? I love it, don't get me wrong, powder is king of the self-indulgence game, but some of us are wired a little different. For me, it's not just all rampant hedonism. I like challenge. I like working on something difficult. For me, it's a bit more rewarding than gorging on powder all the time.

Furthermore, I personally think park and pipe skiing is pretty lame. Doing a Mary Lou Retton routine down a terrain park that took tons of hours and hundreds of gallons of diesel fuel to create isn't really skiing at all. I don't know why new schoolers wear baggy pants, it seems to me a leotard would be more appropriate.

If you think you are a good mogul skier, come ski Winters Way or Bubblecuffer with me. I would very much like to see you rip an aggressive run down the zipperline and pull air off impromptu booters on the way. Easy you say? Then how come I nearly never see anybody do it? It's a complete cop-out to say it's not fun when you probably really don't posses the chops to really mogul ski (as I defined above).
    why does mogul skiing have to be fast and aggresive? whats more important speed control though skid? or speed control though turn shape? The majority of so called zipper line bump skier suck horriable when asked to slow it down because they are just skiing linked recoveries all the ways down the hill.

Because faster is more awesome?

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Man I miss my 210 Pre's, and my K2 Extremes.

When I dream of skiing, it is usually powder. Every other time, I am ripping a zipper line top to bottom with ease, and throwing big 360's in the middle.

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague because I HATE it soooooo much, but I've officially had waaaaay too much gin tonight and can no longer let it go.... FUCK what anyone else in our stoopid ass dumb fuck society we live in gives a shit about what is or isn't lame! Does anyone really think we ski to get pussy or friends!? Dumbest shit I've ever heard! Last I checked skiers didn't do shit to go along with the general dregs of society, we do it cuz it's fuckin fun! Who in the fuck actually gives a shit about what is cool in skiing is a fuck stain, nothing about skiing is cool unless you ski, that's why it's cool jackass. If your seriously concerned about what other s think is cool, you shouldn't of started skiin in the first place, jackass
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Edit; my 5yr old is so pissed at me for going BC mañana without him he won't talk to me, that's fuckin not lame

gin can be aggressive so i switched from juniper to mary jane.

Good call

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Man I miss my 210 Pre's, and my K2 Extremes.

When I dream of skiing, it is usually powder. Every other time, I am ripping a zipper line top to bottom with ease, and throwing big 360's in the middle.
    I love this

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    why does mogul skiing have to be fast and aggresive? whats more important speed control though skid? or speed control though turn shape? The majority of so called zipper line bump skier suck horriable when asked to slow it down because they are just skiing linked recoveries all the ways down the hill.

I think speed and aggression are inherent in mogul skiing. If you try to take a leisurely stroll through a steep mogul field you will get your ass handed to you. Listening to reggae makes sense skiing powder. When I ski bumps it's punk rock and thrash metal! Mogul skiing is very similar to the controlled chaos of slam dancing!

Also, if you haven't seen it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fistful.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	163566  

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    gin can be aggressive so i switched from juniper to mary jane.
    like gin...uh...ger to mary anne's sister, it's a big catholic family and all the girls are mary ____, you may still get red hair too

Where do they put the moguls in the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by taynton View Post
    Where do they put the moguls in the summer?
    Australia

I think speed and aggression are inherent in mogul skiing. If you try to take a leisurely stroll through a steep mogul field you will get your ass handed to you. Listening to reggae makes sense skiing powder. When I ski bumps it's punk rock and thrash metal! Mogul skiing is very similar to the controlled chaos of slam dancing!
    so are you saying it impossible to ski bump slowly with out get thrown off balance? Maybe you can not but I can slow it down it if i want, Heck I can even ski a 5-7 foot wide corridor going slowly. Curious cna you ski fast and aggresively down a actually steep non rhythmic set of bumps that goes on for 1500-2000 k vertical feet? ?

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Josh: what is your opinion of this:
    My opinion that is some great bump skiing and its great because of the following facts the skiing in that video is Round offensive, edge to edge, skiing the slow line fast. they are total control and most in the video could go faster or slower if they wanted to.

Most people who just heel push Z turn the rut line have no real option for speed control....or to go faster or longer.

Round offensive
    meh...I've been called worse.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    meh...I've been called worse.
    FYI you ski more like the people in that video than most..........

so are you saying it impossible to ski bump slowly with out get thrown off balance? Maybe you can not but I can slow it down it if i want, Heck I can even ski a 5-7 foot wide corridor going slowly. Curious cna you ski fast and aggresively down a actually steep non rhythmic set of bumps that goes on for 1500-2000 k vertical feet? ?

You are confusing skiing "fast and aggressive" with being "out of control". In addition to being a mogul skier, I'm also a marathon runner. What you are asking me is basically like asking me if I'm capable of running a 5k. You CANNOT ski moguls fast and aggressively (and in control) without being able to do it slow first - it's impossible. Saying it's easier to go fast "linking recoveries" is just plain silly. If you have ever learned to play a musical instrument, you have to start out slow - painfully slow. Speed only comes from practice, practice, practice. Mogul skiing is no different.

Mike Hattrup said "ski to the point of being out of control, then back off just a bit". The point he was making was that you should maintain total control while warping through a minefield of moguls. And that is how true mogul skiing is done. Period. If you want to ski slow and in control, fine be my guest, but you'll never get the hoops and hollers from the chair. And showboating below the chair is also an essential element to mogul skiing. Always has been, always will be.

No it's not lame. It's my preferred medium.
    I still call it The Jake.

My favorite part of Fistful of Moguls is when Glen Plake admits he would rather ski fresh powder over a mogul field than a big open bowl. I heartily concur. In fact when faced with the two options last Monday, I chose 6" of blower fluff over moguls rather than pow-over-roy. I guarantee I got more face-shots than the smooth-surface skiers.

It's only lame to not be ABLE to ski moguls.

It's not that you can't ski moguls, it's that you can't ski. The moguls just prove it. I wish I had invented that line, but someone on here once posted it and I thought it was pretty true. Powder days always have bumps in them, along with uncut trees and steeps for me. And the face shots from hammering out a nice line are just as much fun. My knees actually feel like a million bucks after skiing moguls. I feel it has also given me the ability to make any turn on the mountain at any time. Pretty useful tool in the belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

My favorite part of Fistful of Moguls is when Glen Plake admits he would rather ski fresh powder over a mogul field than a big open bowl. I heartily concur. In fact when faced with the two options last Monday, I chose 6" of blower fluff over moguls rather than pow-over-roy. I guarantee I got more face-shots than the smooth-surface skiers.

I think that's called 'Stockholm syndrome'
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    'Stockholm syndrome'