Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    I've been avoiding this thread like the plague because I HATE it soooooo much, but I've officially had waaaaay too much gin tonight and can no longer let it go.... FUCK what anyone else in our stoopid ass dumb fuck society we live in gives a shit about what is or isn't lame! Does anyone really think we ski to get pussy or friends!? Dumbest shit I've ever heard! Last I checked skiers didn't do shit to go along with the general dregs of society, we do it cuz it's fuckin fun! Who in the fuck actually gives a shit about what is cool in skiing is a fuck stain, nothing about skiing is cool unless you ski, that's why it's cool jackass. If your seriously concerned about what other s think is cool, you shouldn't of started skiin in the first place, jackass
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Edit; my 5yr old is so pissed at me for going BC mañana without him he won't talk to me, that's fuckin not lame

Good call

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Man I miss my 210 Pre's, and my K2 Extremes.

When I dream of skiing, it is usually powder. Every other time, I am ripping a zipper line top to bottom with ease, and throwing big 360's in the middle.
    I love this

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    why does mogul skiing have to be fast and aggresive? whats more important speed control though skid? or speed control though turn shape? The majority of so called zipper line bump skier suck horriable when asked to slow it down because they are just skiing linked recoveries all the ways down the hill.

I think speed and aggression are inherent in mogul skiing. If you try to take a leisurely stroll through a steep mogul field you will get your ass handed to you. Listening to reggae makes sense skiing powder. When I ski bumps it's punk rock and thrash metal! Mogul skiing is very similar to the controlled chaos of slam dancing!

Also, if you haven't seen it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fistful.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	163566  

Where do they put the moguls in the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by taynton View Post
    Where do they put the moguls in the summer?
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by DaffyJeffy View Post
    I think speed and aggression are inherent in mogul skiing. If you try to take a leisurely stroll through a steep mogul field you will get your ass handed to you. Listening to reggae makes sense skiing powder. When I ski bumps it's punk rock and thrash metal! Mogul skiing is very similar to the controlled chaos of slam dancing!
    so are you saying it impossible to ski bump slowly with out get thrown off balance? Maybe you can not but I can slow it down it if i want, Heck I can even ski a 5-7 foot wide corridor going slowly. Curious cna you ski fast and aggresively down a actually steep non rhythmic set of bumps that goes on for 1500-2000 k vertical feet? ?

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Josh: what is your opinion of this:
    My opinion that is some great bump skiing and its great because of the following facts the skiing in that video is Round offensive, edge to edge, skiing the slow line fast. they are total control and most in the video could go faster or slower if they wanted to.

Most people who just heel push Z turn the rut line have no real option for speed control....or to go faster or longer.

Round offensive
    meh...I've been called worse.

meh...I've been called worse.
    FYI you ski more like the people in that video than most..........

so are you saying it impossible to ski bump slowly with out get thrown off balance? Maybe you can not but I can slow it down it if i want, Heck I can even ski a 5-7 foot wide corridor going slowly. Curious cna you ski fast and aggresively down a actually steep non rhythmic set of bumps that goes on for 1500-2000 k vertical feet? ?

You are confusing skiing "fast and aggressive" with being "out of control". In addition to being a mogul skier, I'm also a marathon runner. What you are asking me is basically like asking me if I'm capable of running a 5k. You CANNOT ski moguls fast and aggressively (and in control) without being able to do it slow first - it's impossible. Saying it's easier to go fast "linking recoveries" is just plain silly. If you have ever learned to play a musical instrument, you have to start out slow - painfully slow. Speed only comes from practice, practice, practice. Mogul skiing is no different.

Mike Hattrup said "ski to the point of being out of control, then back off just a bit". The point he was making was that you should maintain total control while warping through a minefield of moguls. And that is how true mogul skiing is done. Period. If you want to ski slow and in control, fine be my guest, but you'll never get the hoops and hollers from the chair. And showboating below the chair is also an essential element to mogul skiing. Always has been, always will be.

No it's not lame. It's my preferred medium.
    I still call it The Jake.

My favorite part of Fistful of Moguls is when Glen Plake admits he would rather ski fresh powder over a mogul field than a big open bowl. I heartily concur. In fact when faced with the two options last Monday, I chose 6" of blower fluff over moguls rather than pow-over-roy. I guarantee I got more face-shots than the smooth-surface skiers.

It's only lame to not be ABLE to ski moguls.

It's not that you can't ski moguls, it's that you can't ski. The moguls just prove it. I wish I had invented that line, but someone on here once posted it and I thought it was pretty true. Powder days always have bumps in them, along with uncut trees and steeps for me. And the face shots from hammering out a nice line are just as much fun. My knees actually feel like a million bucks after skiing moguls. I feel it has also given me the ability to make any turn on the mountain at any time. Pretty useful tool in the belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Quote Originally Posted by DaffyJeffy View Post
    My favorite part of Fistful of Moguls is when Glen Plake admits he would rather ski fresh powder over a mogul field than a big open bowl. I heartily concur. In fact when faced with the two options last Monday, I chose 6" of blower fluff over moguls rather than pow-over-roy. I guarantee I got more face-shots than the smooth-surface skiers.

I think that's called 'Stockholm syndrome'
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    'Stockholm syndrome'

I might like bumps more if I got to ski them in. Navigating a field of fucked up hacked mini diamond bumps with no flow just pisses me off! I'm a big guy with big skis I need big bumps!

If only bump runs still looked like this
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

IMHO this (93 world champs) was about as good as it got in mogul skiing because everyone was technically strong at this point but the moguls hadn't been standardized and machine-made into a perfect line of tiny blips and these guys had to land in moguls still...which was the hardest thing about mogul comps back in the day. Look at the line in this vid...the bumps are huge and there's a few rhythm shifts in there.

watch the run at 5:30...

I think the comp world jumped the shark as soon as they started trying to make perfect lines for comps and especially after they started shaping up landing pads for the airs. Comp mogul lines in the mid-late 90s were lines that were already there on the hill, by the early-mid 2000s I couldn't even ski comp lines because they weren't really moguls anymore, they were just little rectangular rut lines going straight down the fall line...sometimes there weren't really even moguls, just ruts dug into flat snow. I blame that transition on the exodus of new schoolers from the sport because it distilled mogul skiing down to the most specialized super-hardcore mogul comp guys--you know, those guys who don't even freeski. It's a shame, because the pro mogul tour in the 90s had a lot of great freeskiers---Mcconkey, Brad Holmes, Justin Patnode, Scott Kauf...etc etc. .. it was a whole different thing than it is now.

IMHO this (93 world champs) was about as good as it got in mogul skiing because everyone was technically strong at this point but the moguls hadn't been standardized and machine-made into a perfect line of tiny blips and these guys had to land in moguls still...which was the hardest thing about mogul comps back in the day. Look at the line in this vid...the bumps are huge and there's a few rhythm shifts in there. .
    Well said...you get bonus points for mentioning Justin Patnode. Competitive mogul skiing has definitely jumped the shark.

So if tele is gay and bumps are gay does that mean I'm straight when I tele bumps? Or am I more like a gay orgy sliding down the hill?

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    So if tele is gay and bumps are gay does that mean I'm straight when I tele bumps? Or am I more like a gay orgy sliding down the hill?

Tele in the bumps is badass. the fore-aft stability afforded by a free heel makes sense in moguls.

IMHO this (93 world champs) was about as good as it got in mogul skiing because everyone was technically strong at this point but the moguls hadn't been standardized and machine-made into a perfect line of tiny blips and these guys had to land in moguls still...which was the hardest thing about mogul comps back in the day. Look at the line in this vid...the bumps are huge and there's a few rhythm shifts in there.

watch the run at 5:30...

I think the comp world jumped the shark as soon as they started trying to make perfect lines for comps and especially after they started shaping up landing pads for the airs. Comp mogul lines in the mid-late 90s were lines that were already there on the hill, by the early-mid 2000s I couldn't even ski comp lines because they weren't really moguls anymore, they were just little rectangular rut lines going straight down the fall line...sometimes there weren't really even moguls, just ruts dug into flat snow. I blame that transition on the exodus of new schoolers from the sport because it distilled mogul skiing down to the most specialized super-hardcore mogul comp guys--you know, those guys who don't even freeski. It's a shame, because the pro mogul tour in the 90s had a lot of great freeskiers---Mcconkey, Brad Holmes, Justin Patnode, Scott Kauf...etc etc. .. it was a whole different thing than it is now.
    Nicely put. You forgot Plake and Candide (albeit later) though.

Speaking of bumps, Holiday Valley represent!
    I still call it The Jake.