Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    Benny are you living in summit finally?
    Trying to breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Whoever this guy is his form won't cut it in a mogul field.
    Yeah that type of turn doesn't work in moguls.
    That was a long time ago, my day has come and gone. I'm an old fat midwestern beater now....but back then my goal was to ski fast everywhere either like a downhiller absorbing within an angulated position or in a stacked position like a mogul skier and be able to seamlessly transition from one to the other depending on the situation. Bumps, tight trees...I was stacked. Here I was laying into a racey carve in some stiff heavy pow. I would never be in that kind of a position in the bumps.

I had a few years off from skiing and got really fat, and since I've been skiing again it's not all there but one of the few things I can still do on instinct and muscle memory is ski a zipper line. It's hilarious, my knees come up and bounce off my gut. It was the first thing that came back to me with all that rust.

Ruins my day and kills my knees. I go into survival ski mode. Lame yes
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I love bumps, I loved them in the 80s on 200+ strait sticks and I love them in the teens on 170+ single planks, I just wish they were still made by zipper liners on 210s
    Last edited by b0ardski; 02-05-2015 at 08:27 PM.
    embrace the gape
    and believe

It is lame to ski moguls?

Shot out to Gunbarrel, one of the premier runs of North America

Nowhere else have I seen "you can die" signs with skull and xbones

And people do.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Shot out to Gunbarrel, one of the premier runs of North America
    At Round Top, in Pennsylvania?

Nowhere else have I seen "you can die" signs with skull and xbones
    Oh, I guess not.

Being able to sell a turn where there isn't one, and make hammered out mish-mosh look like a zipper-line isn't lame, it's an art-form.

I've never regretted having a bump turn in my quiver. Yeah, there's more to skiing than the zipper-line, but there's lamer too.

http://youtu.be/VAXONDaeRtQ
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    for the record aside from
    snowlerblades
    not much skiings lame
    stoked them 192 are gettin used and stoed your gittin to ski
    2 much ski 4 me
    and i did go over to the bird a few times last season and bmc made me ski bumps in my dynowhompers and fatties
    i can ussualy hang ifin their soft
    i guess they leveled out the hillary step
    whatevers that stuffs called ya used to have to sidestep to probably has overskied mounds of potentail skiing skills enhancement all over it
    ifin you get the chance always space, compers, and trans to and from airport or train
    i'd just get brandon to give ya key to the freshly remodeled ice palace
    tell em youre installing a quiver closet cause a dozen skis and woodsy's lbs9000 dont fit in 2 lockers
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Turn of century I was all bump ghey. Hart's, Fate, Jane, pissed if too much snow fell. A good friend, his wife and I would work them all day. Got to be so damn much fun. Had a guy I worked with Tony Funk think was his name. Good God he could pop them, had this clapped out pair of Harts with a huge core shot in them, had to be nearly half way into the ski core. Didn't matter. Taught me to make a turn in any spot any condition. Still fun to hit a few of them, on a slow blue or bottom of run, slam feet together drop the ass and pop them. Nothing else made me a better/stronger skier.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    stoked them 192 are gettin used and stoed your gittin to ski
    2 much ski 4 me

haha....guess what? 192s on the hill today found an interested party so pair #2 has a new home and dude is super stoked. Those fuckers are a whole lot of ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    At Round Top, in Pennsylvania?

Oh, I guess not.
    Heavenly south Lake Tahoe
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by b0ardski View Post
    I love bumps, I loved them in the 80s on 200+ strait sticks and I love them in the teens on 170+ single planks, I just wish they were still made by zipper liners on 210s
    ^^^ this. Love them on skis and on a snowboard, make a point of ripping a few lines at the beginning of the season just to get my legs back under me and my balance back. Sure slaying pow is where it is at, but if I am feeling off, I go back to the bumps to get my mojo back. And then a safety break.

You have to get good at moguls if you want to access the steep goods at any resort or ski area. If you're not comfortable with moguls, you lose access the the best stuff which comes right after the bumped up entrance. Might as well start your run like a rockstar.

But I do miss the days when they were more consistent because everyone was doing the zipper line dance. As a skier and a snowboarder I can appreciate how the mix of the two and the difference in turns just makes a mess of some lines. Oh well.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    Moguls suck. Bad for knees, bad for the back and it's not even particularly fun.
    its only bad for your knees when your a heel pusher skiing a defensive Z line instead of round turner skiing an S line offensively . FYI WC bumpers are defensive heel pusher they are just better at than just about anyone else in the world. They ski that way because the judging dictates they ski that way, not because its "better" in any sort of fashion.

FYI yetiman ski the offensive S line and is one of the better guys from this site I have seen skiing bumps.

Moguls mean too many people already went that way.....move along.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Yeah that type of turn doesn't work in moguls.
    That was a long time ago, my day has come and gone. I'm an old fat midwestern beater now....but back then my goal was to ski fast everywhere either like a downhiller absorbing within an angulated position or in a stacked position like a mogul skier and be able to seamlessly transition from one to the other depending on the situation. Bumps, tight trees...I was stacked. Here I was laying into a racey carve in some stiff heavy pow. I would never be in that kind of a position in the bumps.

I had a few years off from skiing and got really fat, and since I've been skiing again it's not all there but one of the few things I can still do on instinct and muscle memory is ski a zipper line. It's hilarious, my knees come up and bounce off my gut. It was the first thing that came back to me with all that rust.
    I like you YetiMan.

My best buddy growing up went to KMS and CVA to ski bumps. Long time ago and many pounds lighter. Now he gets out a couple times a year and never ceases to amaze me with the swizzle. Gut and all .

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    its only bad for your knees when your a heel pusher skiing a defensive Z line instead of round turner skiing an S line offensively . FYI WC bumpers are defensive heel pusher they are just better at than just about anyone else in the world. They ski that way because the judging dictates they ski that way, not because its "better" in any sort of fashion.
    I never thought I'd say it, but WC bump skiing has become boring to watch. Duals might be more exciting, but course skiing has just become unrelateable IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

bump and grind and bump and grind.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I wish there were some bumps to ski here.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Moguls mean too many people already went that way.....move along.
    well said

Some of us remember a day before corporate grooming and shaped skis. Back then it was easy to tell who the expert skiers were. As a young skier riding the chairlift, I was in awe of skiers who could carve fluid, fast, confident turns on variable conditions. It made a big impression on me and I always had something to strive for with my own skiing and in some ways, I'm still working on trying to look like one of the hard-core locals I saw when I was a kid.

Fast-forward to the era of power-tilled corduroy, fat, shaped skis and manicured "features" and everyone looks the same from the lift. Obviously because we made skiing a whole lot easier. This is why I love mogul skiing. To this day it truly separates great skier from mediocre ones.

Now let me define mogul skiing: If you are making wide "GS" turns and leapfrogging over fluffy bumps on an intermediate slope, you ARE NOT mogul skiing. Mogul skiing is fast, aggressive, fall-line skiing directly down the zipperline on steep terrain covered with large NATURAL bumps (as opposed to seeded bumps). It requires a special technique, supreme fitness, and practice...LOTS of practice. As a bonus, you have to perform or explode directly below the chairlift.

Now lets keep it real. Modern powder skiing is pretty easy. Who can't straight-line down a pillow-line of fluffy powder with 100mil underfoot? I love it, don't get me wrong, powder is king of the self-indulgence game, but some of us are wired a little different. For me, it's not just all rampant hedonism. I like challenge. I like working on something difficult. For me, it's a bit more rewarding than gorging on powder all the time.

Furthermore, I personally think park and pipe skiing is pretty lame. Doing a Mary Lou Retton routine down a terrain park that took tons of hours and hundreds of gallons of diesel fuel to create isn't really skiing at all. I don't know why new schoolers wear baggy pants, it seems to me a leotard would be more appropriate.

If you think you are a good mogul skier, come ski Winters Way or Bubblecuffer with me. I would very much like to see you rip an aggressive run down the zipperline and pull air off impromptu booters on the way. Easy you say? Then how come I nearly never see anybody do it? It's a complete cop-out to say it's not fun when you probably really don't posses the chops to really mogul ski (as I defined above).

Whether you like them or not, they shouldn't exist. Reality is moguls are the result of bad skiing technique: following previous lines instead hitting the less compressed soft material. Moguls are stupid even though it is kind of bad ass to watch someone rip with really good 80s/90s mogul technique.
    Not done with my drink til I've crunched all the ice

World's longest alias.

Edit: even though I hate the things, we need a gopro of someone zip lining Annapurna at Hunter Mountain top to bottom to shut everyone up. On a real cold, hard day.

Quote Originally Posted by DaffyJeffy View Post
    Some of us remember a day before corporate grooming and shaped skis. Back then it was easy to tell who the expert skiers were. As a young skier riding the chairlift, I was in awe of skiers who could carve fluid, fast, confident turns on variable conditions. It made a big impression on me and I always had something to strive for with my own skiing and in some ways, I'm still working on trying to look like one of the hard-core locals I saw when I was a kid.

Fast-forward to the era of power-tilled corduroy, fat, shaped skis and manicured "features" and everyone looks the same from the lift. Obviously because we made skiing a whole lot easier. This is why I love mogul skiing. To this day it truly separates great skier from mediocre ones.

Now let me define mogul skiing: If you are making wide "GS" turns and leapfrogging over fluffy bumps on an intermediate slope, you ARE NOT mogul skiing. Mogul skiing is fast, aggressive, fall-line skiing directly down the zipperline on steep terrain covered with large NATURAL bumps (as opposed to seeded bumps). It requires a special technique, supreme fitness, and practice...LOTS of practice. As a bonus, you have to perform or explode directly below the chairlift.

Now lets keep it real. Modern powder skiing is pretty easy. Who can't straight-line down a pillow-line of fluffy powder with 100mil underfoot? I love it, don't get me wrong, powder is king of the self-indulgence game, but some of us are wired a little different. For me, it's not just all rampant hedonism. I like challenge. I like working on something difficult. For me, it's a bit more rewarding than gorging on powder all the time.

Furthermore, I personally think park and pipe skiing is pretty lame. Doing a Mary Lou Retton routine down a terrain park that took tons of hours and hundreds of gallons of diesel fuel to create isn't really skiing at all. I don't know why new schoolers wear baggy pants, it seems to me a leotard would be more appropriate.

If you think you are a good mogul skier, come ski Winters Way or Bubblecuffer with me. I would very much like to see you rip an aggressive run down the zipperline and pull air off impromptu booters on the way. Easy you say? Then how come I nearly never see anybody do it? It's a complete cop-out to say it's not fun when you probably really don't posses the chops to really mogul ski (as I defined above).
    why does mogul skiing have to be fast and aggresive? whats more important speed control though skid? or speed control though turn shape? The majority of so called zipper line bump skier suck horriable when asked to slow it down because they are just skiing linked recoveries all the ways down the hill.

Because faster is more awesome?

Man I miss my 210 Pre's, and my K2 Extremes.

When I dream of skiing, it is usually powder. Every other time, I am ripping a zipper line top to bottom with ease, and throwing big 360's in the middle.