Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    sorry ‘bout yer lack of progress dude....

picked up these old power mambas today for 20 bucks. lame as fuck

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Somewhere in the late 60's a fellow I know was in Boise going to college. He wanted some ski club activity being from Ketchum and a hell of a skier at that. The racing club caught his eye but he departed soon after....bastards were side-step grooming a course in 12" of superb powder. Went a different direction and was featured in a few old Dick Barrymore 16mm movies. One of the best bump skiers around in the day, and one of those guys who could pose a book on his head and it would still be there after a rip through the bumps. Moguls are not lame but it takes a quicker ski than most people like to enjoy them along with looking three turns ahead, hands high / in front (always), shoulders always perpendicular to fall line, and quiet upper body. It's an acquired skill, not something intuitive. The French technique (Think Killy, Patrick Russell, Georges Joubert) was the complete answer to moguls and the best today still use it.
    Last edited by L82thegate; 09-30-2020 at 10:17 PM.

It is lame to ski moguls?

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    sorry ‘bout yer lack of progress dude....
    Not me, I make it all look like perfect left/rights on park skis.

Seriously though, bump skiing is great, but a lot of retro-grouches in this crowd. It’s not all ruined because of snowboards and sidecut, we’re just not 30 rocking a mullet anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    Not me, I make it all look like perfect left/rights on park skis.

Seriously though, bump skiing is great, but a lot of retro-grouches in this crowd. It’s not all ruined because of snowboards and sidecut, we’re just not 30 rocking hair anymore.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by L82thegate View Post
    The French technique (Think Killy, Patrick Russell, Georges Joubert) was the complete answer to moguls and the best today still use it.
    FIFY
    ;-)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I skied 1080’s, 1080 moguls and Power Mambas in the same season. I liked the PM’s the least, and gave them and a pair of K2 Holmes/Outlaws barely used to some Russian dude a few years back.

PM’s at 1:04. The 1080’s were better for slush bumps, but at $75 the Power Mambas were better for the dirt and grass of middle Superstar on June 1, 2002.

Man, Killington and Mary Jane had an amazing mogul scene in the 80’s-90’s. I left Killington in 2003, and try to stick to the over 50 line at MJ these days (on park skis)
    https://youtu.be/cIKCgQmCbCs

Whats lame is me- I no longer have the knees to ski moguls.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Remember moguls the size of volkswagons?
    And they were nicely spread out! Much more roundy

Remember the "egg cartons" at JH being chest high?

Try doing that on a shaped short ski or board. I think that is the only point of the reminiscing.
    I do NOT want to go back and have to ski powder on a 207cm 68mm waist.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Whats lame is me- I no longer have the knees to ski moguls.
    Was at the ortho a week ago, getting a back issue checked out. Doc sees my spine, which looks like a Jenga puzzle someone’s about to lose, and asks if I’ve spent my entire career on my feet, carrying heavy weight. I told her no, but was an avid bump skier for a bunch of years. Her response; “that would do it.”

Hip replacement two years ago, and the knee I had surgery on in 2012 is starting to complain again. Super-fun at the time, but paying for years of abuse (due to sloppy technique and youthful enthusiasm)

[QUOTE=L82thegate;6084893]”Somewhere in the late 60's a fellow I know was in Boise going to college. He wanted some ski club activity being from Ketchum and a hell of a skier at that. The racing club caught his eye but he departed soon after....bastards were side-step grooming a course in 12" of superb powder. Went a different direction and was featured in a few old Dick Barrymore 16mm movies. One of the best bump skiers around in the day, and one of those guys who could pose a book on his head and it would still be there after a rip through the bumps.”
    [Quote]

Lane?
    Last edited by Shredhead; 10-01-2020 at 07:49 PM.

I googled him. We’re both 58. Wonder if his back is fukt too? I can’t believe he’s a pro... :-P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Spina

I think Lane's doing pretty well. Living in Las Vegas with a high level position with a tech gaming company. I don't know him but know Yale and he said a few years ago that Lane is still the athlete he always has been. Both were pretty talented and Yale still skis well. Not like 'back in the day' but pretty well for a guy of our generation.

So funny how many old dudes there are still around who can ski with their feet together. It’s becoming a lost art, and while I enjoy watching current competitive mogul skiing, I don’t think it’s relatable for most viewers.

I never did compete beyond amateur status, but have a few friends and acquaintances who competed in pro tour. Like Lane and Yale, their still athletes, and still proficient skiers, mostly successful and settled, but now that we’re all washed up, there’s more camaraderie and less picking apart of technique.

The ball-busting has remained consistent, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Ted McCoy. Link is a great write-up covering early Sun Valley movers & shakers. The rock he hucked off River Run was 60'vertical, closer to 80' at the LZ with a front layout flip/ ski away landing. That was something in 1970 given the equipment of the day. He built a huge kicker at Crystal Mtn. around 1969, right side of Gold Hills before a re-grade. 2 days to build mere seconds to find out if you had a 100' gelande in ya. Practice jump prepping for the Alta gelande championships that year.

https://sunvalleymag.com/articles/su...ntial-leaders/

I remember seeing a galande comp at Snowbird circa 1985 or so.

There’s an annual gathering of mogul skiers at Mary Jane, usually the first week in March. Attendance was lower than usual this year, but always a fun crew and good time.

Not sure what this year will look like, but there will likely be a modified covid gathering. No invitations needed, just show up in the MJ lodge around 8 and introduce yourself. I’ll post the dates when it’s official.

https://youtu.be/yMNGLLeHzac

https://youtu.be/kD6oA5Y6KNo

I fonted myself Vestan Pance. Not bad for 15 months after full hip replacement.

Are Heavenly face rats still a thing?

Back from 2 fractured vertebrae 2 months ago.
    MK 1st 2021 World Cup. Whoop!

OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

I think it's changed a bunch. Moguls, when I raced, got carved out buy us the day before. Jumps didn't have a smooth transition, you landed in a gut of a mogul. Skis where longer. We would not be allowed go inverted. The guys racing today are amazingly fast and so fluid in the air. It makes me feel old.

which one was neil?

^I recognize a bunch of those skiers, even though my BMMC run didn’t start till ‘94. One of their offspring, Hannah Soar got 3rd for 2021 FIS moguls. Her mom and dad, Sue and TJ were/are good friends, super-nice people, and I couldn’t be happier for all of them. TJ and Sue rip, and Sue won BMMC several times IIRC. So much fun to see Hannah compete along with Jaelen Kauf, whose dad was a prominent figure on the pro tour back in the day.

Serious question; why are they called left/rights, and not right/lefts?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Are Heavenly face rats still a thing?
    I think So. Gun barrel in the spring sloppy spring corn 4 foot deep moguls. It's like doing 120MPH in an old cadillac. You just float.

Might be my favorite skiing condition. Because I can.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I think So. Gun barrel in the spring sloppy spring corn 4 foot deep moguls. It's like doing 120MPH in an old cadillac. You just float.

Might be my favorite skiing condition. Because I can.
    2nd. When sping corn bumps reach just the right liquid sno-cone consistency they’re hard to beat. Pitch is pretty mandatory though.

IME CO rarely sees the full potential of slush-bumps conditions, but when it’s good, deep pow is the only thing that even comes close.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is this one of you guys? Bummer with spring skiing cut so short. Oh well....

They say that watching moguls videos helps develop mind-muscle coordination. For your viewing enjoyment -- I mean 'mind muscle coordination'

OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er