Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I used to think that too....I had a real change of mind when I started skiing back and forth between Alta and Snowbird. Bumps at snowbird tended to be rounder with nice open spacing. Bumps at Alta tended to be tighter and more hacked up.
    You should try the shark fins on International at Alpental
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

OP FUCKING LAME FOR ASKING
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Late to this...

It's not lame to ski anything. But I'm guessing you are a pretty lame skier.

It may not be lame to ski moguls but skiing moguls can make you lame.
    What's your excuse DD?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Moguls are totally lame.

Just ask this guy. He sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It may not be lame to ski moguls but skiing moguls can make you lame.
    What's your excuse DD?
    u created this avatar
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Nelson Carmichael (at 25 seconds) leading with his tips North American style
    To my eye that still looks pretty damn good.

I guess the Finns still developed the style further...I remember reading from somewhere that Janne Lahtela was one of the first athletes skiing with crouched back (modern style, like short "mini-carves" starting the turns) in the moguls...

Judged sport I know...you can speculate forever if this was worth more than Moseley's run with the flat spin thingy (Anyway, Janne is super super good skier and amazing to watch skiing in real life, was it just free skiing, moguls or jumps/slopestyle...not to mention a great guy in general)
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 01-08-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Quote Originally Posted by Jiehkevarri View Post
    (Anyway, Janne is super super good skier and amazing to watch skiing in real life, was it just free skiing, moguls or jumps/slopestyle...)
    He skied Bridger Bowl off-and-on while his girlfriend went to MSU, during his prime, and yes he is an amazing skier in 'real life'! It was pretty funny to watch the MSU mogul team collective minds blow apart before they figured out who this random ripper was, and then they started skiing with him. Nobody else on the mountain had a clue or even cared who he was.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    He skied Bridger Bowl off-and-on while his girlfriend went to MSU, during his prime, and yes he is an amazing skier in 'real life'! It was pretty funny to watch the MSU mogul team collective minds blow apart before they figured out who this random ripper was, and then they started skiing with him. Nobody else on the mountain had a clue or even cared who he was.
    Yeah...it is pretty funny that there was a time,especially from mid 90s to early 2000s (snowboarding's heyday), that you could have been one of the best skiers in the world, rip the shit out of the whole resort and generally no one could even care less! Still applies to some snowboard-heavy places I guess...(edit: not that it even matters that much...and I am not turning this discussion to that but for me it seems good skiers have always appreciated skilled one-plankers too)
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Bump

Saw this on the lot this morning...

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

Has anyone skied these? thoughts?

https://4frnt.com/products/originato...FcpMDQodabMIQA
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I'm a clapped out ol bump racer, I still love them. meniscus in my knees are all torn, spine is compressed to shit, but damn they are fun
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
    Stealing the idea from Grizzle6

This past weekend I skied Alta and Solitude with some really good (skiers) friends from Denver, and since we haven’t had any fresh in a while, they ended up looking for the steepest and most challenging bump runs on the mountain. That sucked, I'm still pissing blood!

I know the Utarded crew here hates bumps, so what gives? Do you ski bumps? Is it not cool anymore? Is it only a Denver, Winter Park, Mary Jane thing?
    Does it hurt your knees?... pussies?

I find the later very ironic, because of the heavy punishment most of the "Alta, crew huckers", put their body through. I would think there is more risk in dropping a 50’ bomb, than skiing High Rustler from top to bottom with out stopping, and just puking at the bottom like I did on Friday!

Local annual old school meeting

1987 World Cup Champ Martti Kellokumpu cleared the table...to no-one's surprise (edit: pretty much 30 years after the world cup gold - hats off!)

Yours truly mixing up some 90s to the show (photo by Mikko Piispa)

Untitled by Mikko, on Flickr

205cm SL:s = hard to jump...people were throwing triple-combos but IMHO some cheating around, heh...modern twintips are so much easier to throw around!
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 03-20-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Snowboarding killed mogul skiing
    That'ts a bummer. I can remember skiing a lot of great bumps at Alpental back in the eighties. Big Chief at Steven's Pass probably has the best bump skiing that I can remember. I recently watched a sweet pow vid of a snowboarding friend who did end up traversing across where the bump field would form along the Chief trails. But we all used to traverse out of the woods there. Anyway...I still love to ski bumps when I can!

Bumps suck, they ruin the straightline potential. Lame shit. Obviously gotta be a kook to like bumps

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Bumps suck, they ruin the straightline potential. Lame shit. Obviously gotta be a kook to like bumps
    If everyone went straight we'd just have rows of long bumps.
    Then where would we be? Nowhere, exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Just point'em then. That's what Candide would do

I ski moguls, I like to ski moguls. If that makes me lame, then I like being lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiehkevarri View Post
    Just point'em then. That's what Candide would do
    Great Scott at snowbird is a leg destroying mogul field right now... new cold snap may turn it in to icy death but conditions dependent I'll do it next time I'm on the hill and post the result... won't be pretty.

Name:  oldguybumper.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  61.6 KB

Video from last year.
    Some background... 41 yrs old
    ex Comp mogul skier from mid nineties. Coached for years and did well as I enjoyed it and I was really good at yelling and motivating kids.

I knew when I was in my late 20's I was going to do the Provincial Champs when I turned 40. I told no-one except my wife and an ex-athlete of mine who became a friend and agreed to be my coach. When the registration list was released the day before training people thought it was a joke and I got a few messages. No joke... Serious old mogul skier is serious.
    Training went well with one massive crash that hurt like hell. Honestly took me 3 weeks to recover.

Super fun experience as many athletes I had coached were there watching / coaching including a current national team skier who I coached as a kid. As well one of the coaches who taught me alot and who was a mentor was in attendance.

8 th place overall and first in my age category! (obviously) I beat a lot of kids who should be ashamed that a fat old bald guy beat them. Thought I would share the video finally.
    Moguls made me a great skier and now I can happily stay away from the zipper line and comp mogul airs for the rest of my life. or till I'm 50!

Spread twist twist!!!!

Not the best vid but worth the watch if you cheer for the old guys!

comp runs are the two shot from the start.

Bumps are kinda sick honestly, hitting more so chopped up pow and softer bumps is even way more sick though. Bumps in the trees and really just styling your line and hitting a nice air everyonce in a while in my opinion is way more fun than straight lining. That you don't really get much out of it and no difficulty with the lines, and that takes out the fun! Unless your skiing like steep spines, but still you should be turning on that too, its just chill to turn

Good stuff, jetski. It seems like most of the bumpers out there have ages that start with a 4 or a 5

Wow....
    I haven't skied a mogul comp since 1996. Haven't hit kickers in almost that long. This year I was invited to help do a little improvised mogul comp at our little hill. Improvised kickers, landing in ice bumps. About to turn 40 soon. 250 lbs. I have completely forgotten how to jump, so I had to just keep slamming and slamming trying to get something together for the comp. I can still ski bumps (I think...) but the airs...the airs were killing me.
    I wanted so badly to hit my 360 in the comp, nope...ate my knees.
    This was 3 days of throwing airs into ice bumps and more slams in one week than in the previous like 10 years combined. Both knees are sore, both thumbs, a shoulder, shins....I feel like I just crashed my truck on the way home from bullriding at the rodeo.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    Name:  oldguybumper.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  61.6 KB

Video from last year.
    Some background... 41 yrs old
    ex Comp mogul skier from mid nineties. Coached for years and did well as I enjoyed it and I was really good at yelling and motivating kids.

I knew when I was in my late 20's I was going to do the Provincial Champs when I turned 40. I told no-one except my wife and an ex-athlete of mine who became a friend and agreed to be my coach. When the registration list was released the day before training people thought it was a joke and I got a few messages. No joke... Serious old mogul skier is serious.
    Training went well with one massive crash that hurt like hell. Honestly took me 3 weeks to recover.

Super fun experience as many athletes I had coached were there watching / coaching including a current national team skier who I coached as a kid. As well one of the coaches who taught me alot and who was a mentor was in attendance.

8 th place overall and first in my age category! (obviously) I beat a lot of kids who should be ashamed that a fat old bald guy beat them. Thought I would share the video finally.
    Moguls made me a great skier and now I can happily stay away from the zipper line and comp mogul airs for the rest of my life. or till I'm 50!

Spread twist twist!!!!

Not the best vid but worth the watch if you cheer for the old guys!

comp runs are the two shot from the start.
    Oh shoot this video is absolutely amazing! I loved watching this, absolutely crushed it my man! Bib number 59 in for the win if you ask me!