Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    I've never had a margarita that didn't taste like ass.
    Apparently you've never been to Maria's, which is kind of sad.

I've had plenty of great coin margs that I believe are 90% alcohol with a little lime squirt if anything, so good margs go in category 1.

and whatever pegleg says about cocktails x2.
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

I like whisky mixed in a glass with 1-3 cubes of ice. If I gotta have a mixer, I'll add some vermouth and a cherry. White russians, margaritas, and bloody marys all have their time and place but it's pretty rare.

Been going light with the booze lately as part of a diet....

However, last night called for something, and it was JD Honey on the rocks. Tonight looks like Jameson....

Just starting to get into the whisky/ scotch world.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

^ JD Honey on the rocks ... is that like a non-bourbon Gold Rush?

2oz bourbon
    3/4oz fresh lemon juice
    3/4oz honey syrup

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

So I just built a nice little Boulavardier with Old Overholt since commonlaw and I did in the Bulleit last night. Not as good, but still pretty tasty. Might have to make another just to make sure. I was thinking about subbing a little Aperol for the Campari, just for fun.

systemoverblow'd: Flip Royal is good. Like a dessert in a glass. I still prefer the Whiskey Smash. Had three.

Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    systemoverblow'd: Flip Royal is good. Like a dessert in a glass. I still prefer the Whiskey Smash. Had three.
    It's the fourth that tastes the best. Everyone knows that.

:ately it's been:

Rocks glass 1/2 filled with Ice
    2oz Buffalo Trace Bourbon
    top with Canada Dry Ginger ale

Repeat. Often.

Glad you liked it (since it's $11)! Haven't had the whiskey smash, I'll have to try it this week. Jackson comes up with a good drink menu. He's changed it a bit and removed some good ones but all-in-all they make some great drinks. Ever been to "Drink"? The place is slamming as well. It's down the street from my work so it is easier than ES to have an after work drink.

I made a cocktail with lime, rum and campari at work a few days ago which was really good, then i tried to duplicate it and it just tasted shit, really bitter and bad taste... still guess its one of the better once ive tasted

If you are looking for a whiskey smash / sazerac or anything in that vein, check out Storyville / Minibar. Look for Bill in the bordello room at storyville or Ryan upstairs at Minibar. Not the places that you would expect to find world class bartenders, but both can give jackson a run for his money and are as good or better than anyone working at ES, Drink, Hawthorne, ICOB ect...
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the heads up as I love trying new places.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Glad you liked it (since it's $11)! Haven't had the whiskey smash, I'll have to try it this week. Jackson comes up with a good drink menu. He's changed it a bit and removed some good ones but all-in-all they make some great drinks. Ever been to "Drink"? The place is slamming as well. It's down the street from my work so it is easier than ES to have an after work drink.
    Haven't been to Drink but looks like I need to make a visit. What do you recommend? ES is near where I work.
    Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    If you are looking for a whiskey smash / sazerac or anything in that vein, check out Storyville / Minibar. Look for Bill in the bordello room at storyville or Ryan upstairs at Minibar. Not the places that you would expect to find world class bartenders, but both can give jackson a run for his money and are as good or better than anyone working at ES, Drink, Hawthorne, ICOB ect...
    Thanks for this. Looks like I have to plan a bar crawl soon.

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    I've had plenty of great coin margs that I believe are 90% alcohol with a little lime squirt if anything, so good margs go in category 1.
    Funny, I was just talking about this with my wife last nigh - is a coin-style marg a cocktail or a mixed drink? How about a cosmo (which has a splash of juice, but not much and is typically served up)? There's some grey area there for sure. Personally, I'd say they're probably both cocktails (much as it pains me to say it about the cosmo, since that one kind of ruins the chick-drink test).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Just a quick heads up, storyville is wed-sat only. Both storyville and minibar get crowded as hell on weekends. Just FYI.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

^ Thanks for the heads up.

I hardly ever get to the Fort Point Channel/Seaport area these days so I skulked around there today hoping to get a drink at Drink when they opened at 4. Unfortunately, other things needed to be done. That cocktail will have to wait for another day. Like Monday.

^ Thanks for the heads up.

I hardly ever get to the Fort Point Channel/Seaport area these days so I skulked around there today hoping to get a drink at Drink when they opened at 4. Unfortunately, other things needed to be done. That cocktail will have to wait for another day. Like Monday.
    If you're going to end up there after work, let me know. I work on Congress right on the Boston side so would be down to grab something after 5:30ish. Much later than that and I will be heading back to Allston.

This thread is for me...learning some good new drinks like the Boulavardier and reminded of some good standards I've forgotten. I really must have a dark and stormy soon...

Lately I've been in search of interesting drinks so this is timely. Keep on posting please. Yum!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Dark and Stormy. Ginger beer and Goslings rum, go for 151 if you like the burn.

Made a good one for Mrs. Cruiser the other night.

3 parts vodka
    1 part ginger syrup
    2 shakes Regans Orange Bitters
    1/2 a fresh squeezed lemon
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

3 parts vodka
    1 part ginger syrup
    That sounds like a summer day on the back porch hammock......
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

3 parts vodka
    1 part ginger syrup
    The wife had a similar cocktail at Pinyon in Boulder on Saturday, except it used Leopold's Apple Whiskey instead of the vodka. Really tasty.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Judging as to how today is going gasoline in a tin can will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    The wife had a similar cocktail at Pinyon in Boulder on Saturday, except it used Leopold's Apple Whiskey instead of the vodka. Really tasty.
    Oh yeah! That sounds like trouble right there.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.