Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Icelantic/First degree (?) sidecountry boots

Anyone heard about / seen these? Interesting that Icelantic would jump into a fairly competitive market. Personally think they blew it with no tech fittings. And what's the story with this "First Degree" stuff?

http://www.powdermag.com/industry-ne...ecountry-boot/

looks like a raichle or other hard boot for snowboarding from the 90's

Looks very, very heavy, without removable sole blocks or tech compatibility.

What's the selling point?

(OK,ok, I'll give them credit for the shortened BSL.)

Saw this boot in the booth at SIA. They were calling it the "Storm Trooper" (George Lucas may not approve of this, stay tuned...) and they're selling it on a purported revolutionary liner technology. Keep in mind I saw this boot at the end of a long day on the floor but as best I can recollect the shell is purchased from another company (i'm sure someone will identify it...). The liner is made of some proprietary materials which are supposed to "never pack out". Upon inspection the liner did seem well put together and I'll admit I was intrigued. The walk mode had a great range of motion and the included footbed was the best I've ever seen provided by a vendor, although thats not saying a lot. I know one of the main designers previosly worked for years with Superfeet.

Hmmm, I saw them too, but never considered that they could be good snowboard carving boots...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskis View Post
    ... the shell is purchased from another company ...
    Just re-read it. Shell is made by Deeluxe. Which I've also never heard of. (doesn't mean that much)

http://www.deeluxe-hardboots.com/products/

agreed...looks heavy. couldn't find any weight stats on the Deeluxe site.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskis View Post
    ...the shell is purchased from another company (i'm sure someone will identify it...).
    I seem to recall seeing an Amplid branded version of this shell a couple years ago. But that could have been re-branded as well...

Richle snowboard boots
    Line transfer,
    Amplid something or other

Maybe my eyeballs are whacky but looks like lots of ramp angle

Quote Originally Posted by eshed View Post
    Shell is made by Deeluxe. Which I've also never heard of. (doesn't mean that much)

http://www.deeluxe-hardboots.com/products/

agreed...looks heavy. couldn't find any weight stats on the Deeluxe site.
    when raichle was sold, they only sold the name and the rights/molds to the flexon

the owner of the f1 ski boot and 325 snowboard boot molds started dee-lux based around these designs. look up a raichle 325 boots and compare to the icelantic boots.

that is what this boot is, as well as a few other brands also licensing the deelux setup.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 02-10-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

So is see race soles rather than vibram or otherwise hike appropriate sole. And a pretty dinky power strap. I find it odd that these things were remarked upon yet the image suggests they aren't brag worthy.

Also agree tech soles was a big mistake. But given atomic, solly and marker options maybe that was wise.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

I thought the whole point of the small niche companies was to give the people what the big mfgs either can't (or won't) produce.

Didn't people turn to DPS, PM Gear, Icelantic, etcetcetc b/c they were offering a product that Rossi, Atomic. Dynastar, Volkl, and other large mfgs weren't?

What is the point of this boot...what does it offer that others don't?

One would think Icelantic would take 3-4 minutes websurfing and come up with a boot that is unique to the market they serve...or maybe they don't have that capability...or maybe I'm just wrong.
    -Smarty

It costs a bazillion and a half to make a ski boot run from scratch, I am SURE this is a major factor here.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Anybody heard any updates about the Stormtrooper? Just saw this vid. Looks like it has most of the features I might want in my next boot!

Definitely want to hear more. The season's upon us, though, and I haven't seen any new info posted on the interwebs since around April.

Jesus, check the ad on the sidebar, "storm trooper" with a Lego Star Wars figure skiing. These guys are gonna get their tits sued off.
    Well maybe not, I dunno, depends on how much George Lucas ahem, caresaboutmoney *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
    Jesus, check the ad on the sidebar, "storm trooper" with a Lego Star Wars figure skiing. These guys are gonna get their tits sued off.
    Well maybe not, I dunno, depends on how much George Lucas ahem, caresaboutmoney *cough*
    Getting sued by both Lego and Lucasfilms at the same time would be the new killing it.

A ladies model called the "Princess Leia" with swappable Lego style snap on tech soles might be the last straw.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I thought the whole point of the small niche companies was to give the people what the big mfgs either can't (or won't) produce.
    Exactly. Heartcarving is a niche. Right?

I wanna see the heartcarving dude make another video, but wearing a Star Wars Stormtrooper outfit and these boots. Grassroots marketing, dude. It's a win-win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Dude seems like SUCH a TOOL. I'll bet he snowplows. Dude ditch the flavor saver, they are so 2002. If he ran a mustache I might believe him.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

BTW agreed, with others. The only way I'd consider buying their boot is if it offered something new and innovative. All the shit that he is saying is sooo cool and grassroots has all been done before.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

With how many alpine bindings w/ walk modes that were released this year - these boots may have a large enough niche to fill. Personally, I don't see buying the boot especially since it doesn't have a rubber sole - but there are a lot of great features, and hopefully they get enough sales this year to improve the product for next year.

I think it's a great boot in theory, a Flexon touring boot, awesome. They just missed the mark in not having tech fittings and a vibram sole.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Definitely want to hear more. The season's upon us, though, and I haven't seen any new info posted on the interwebs since around April.
    its just a re-branded Deeluxe ski-boarding/carving snowboard boot from circa 2005-9, which was itself just a Raichle SB125/224/423/le mans boot from c.1998-2004.

for direct reviews, check reviews on the Deeluxe Track et al.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Jong-un View Post
    Getting sued by both Lego and Lucasfilms at the same time would be the new killing it.

A ladies model called the "Princess Leia" with swappable Lego style snap on tech soles might be the last straw.
    Well played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    its just a re-branded Deeluxe ski-boarding boot from circa 2004-9. google is your friend.
    Holy crap, you're right!
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/deeluxe_track225.html

Okeedokee then. That'll steer me right back to where I was looking...Dalbello Kryptons or something like that. Kinda wanna check out the Fischer vacuum fit boots, too. Really leaning toward a 3-piece shell this go around, though.

Irrespective of the actual Boot tech convo here, Ben is like once of the nicest guys I've ever met, and seriously rips by the way.
    Everything is coming up Brady.