Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Vagabond Fly Box

If we have any interest we could get a traveling fly box going. Pretty much get some people to tie a handful of flies and get it going then off it goes. It can get signed, replenished, and then off it goes to the next person on the list.

Any takers ? I would be willing to tie a half dozen or so and send them out if anyone wants to donate a fly box to get it going.

Excellent idea! FKNA right, I'm in!

Since our much adored fatass jumped in and stopped the rebirth of a Maria rod, I'm on board with the next best thing! Of course there should be a salt and fresh box. I'm not the best salt fly maker, but I'll pitch in however possible.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    Since our much adored fatass jumped in and stopped the rebirth of a Maria rod, I'm on board with the next best thing! Of course there should be a salt and fresh box. I'm not the best salt fly maker, but I'll pitch in however possible.
    Hmm maybe a little bit larger fly box to accompany a handful of larger saltwater flies ?

I'll donate the boxes. Thinking a cliff bugger beast for the salt and a barn for the fresh? Does that work?
    Harvest the ride.

I have a few dozen I would like to donate to help get this started...who should I send them to? It will be all trout flies that I've tied this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post
    I'll donate the boxes. Thinking a cliff bugger beast for the salt and a barn for the fresh? Does that work?
    Awesome.

Do we want to see who is sending what flies or get some sort of list going or just have everyone donate their special flies ?

Who wants to take lead with collecting maybe one for salt and one for fresh ? If no one wants to grab the fresh I can start collecting them and maybe hold them untill we get a few dozen in the box and then off it goes.

I could send it out after I take it steely fishing in march and then off it would be the next one or if someone has any
    Or if anyone needs it before I could send it out to the next one.

I like the idea of using Cliff's stuff!

let's start with a 5 fly add of your local fish catching flavor. simple rules
    Get the box add 5 of your flies
    Go fishing and use the other flies as long as there are at least two left
    keep singles in for historical records of what has been added
    only keep the box 2 weeks
    sign up for the who is next list in this thread with a salt or fresh next to your name
    sign the box with a sharpie before sending along
    post pictures of your fly and adventures
    if someone sits on the box for too long, don't rip them apart and threaten to come through their cpu and break their 5 wt. Be cool and ask them to ship it, at that point they will know they are dutch baggage

sound good?

I'll be glad to send both of the boxes out once the list is set. We could collect a bunch of flies first and then get it moving along or do the add and go and watch the collection grow. Ya'll tell me
    Harvest the ride.

L8APX, I sent you a PM asking for your address...I'm going to mail out 3 dozen to you to get the box going. Thought that way, the 1st person has a few choices to fish.

Yeah if you want to shoot me your address all send some flies your way within a couple days.

I tie more general nymphs and the like and patterns more towards Michigan steel and salmon.

Everybody can send your flies to
    The Orvis company
    C/o Shawn combs
    178 Conservation Way
    Sunderland, VT 05250

I will collect flies until march 10th and then send the boxes out to the first group.
    Harvest the ride.

Are we all sending flies at once or just a few of us to get the box going...then others add when it arrives?

I'm sending just to get it going.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Are we all sending flies at once or just a few of us to get the box going...then others add when it arrives?
    I think we should donate to get it going. Once its nicely stacked it will be a maggots box full of flies.

Which brings me to the big question what do we name her ?

I can only tie streamers. Do I qualify ?
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by bad dancer View Post
    I can only tie streamers. Do I qualify ?

We have a salt and a fresh box but either way I want every tier of every skill level to be able to donate and use it. I want there to be ww great a selection of flies so everyone that gets the box can be inspired to maybe tie a new fly or try a different way of tying.

You can count me in, are the flies due to LA8PX by 3/10 or are we adding as we go? Mine would be trout flies but if the salt box is looking thin I could probably due some for that since I've been tying a bunch of bonefish flies as a gift for my BIL's Bahama's trip.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I still have the original maria journal and a few flies
    I tried to contact hfb but he either left this zoo or doesn't care to return my pm's
    Good seein ya @ OR la8px
    You know I can't tie for shit
    think I still gots a dinner bell if them damn henries lake brookies didn't thrash the last one at the mag fish summit.
    i'll try to use kesslers hair and tie up a big ugly newfinator
    or some of my one fish tung zebra midgers
    when I'm not skiin
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

You can send them to me to get the boxes going or wait and add to them. Sublime you want to start a list and take names.
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post
    You can send them to me to get the boxes going or wait and add to them. Sublime you want to start a list and take names.
    Will do so everyone if you want to PM me your name/address and what 2 week slot you would like it for. Please add a second choice for the time frame that you would like it just in case someone calls dibs on it before.

Alright just trying to get a master list going so we have an idea of where Stella(I like this name for her) is going to be at what time. The idea that I have is to break it up into time slots 2 weeks apiece like L8 originally said.

It's would look something like this we can add extra slots into this if you can fish n refill the box in say a week. IE adding a 3 and 4th slot/week apiece in order to get it to the next time slot in time. Secondly if there are any Canadian peeps that want it(there is already one) try and book a slot next to a canuck in order to avoid having this thing get stuck at customs and throwing off the whole time slot. 2 weeks is pretty generous but I have shipped things that have gotten stuck in customs that long.

Second I thought that it would be cool to throw the target species in there. IE Steel, salmon, or trout. That way we don't end up throwing a box of tiny dries to a guy that fishes salmon and vice versa.

January

Slot 1 open

Slot 2 open

February

Slot 1 open

Slot 2 open

March

Slot 1 L8APX and the kick off the Vagabond Fly project

Slot 2 L8APX just in case he wants to have 2 weeks in addition to fish this box

April

Slot 1 open

Slot 2 open

May

Slot 1 open

Slot 2 open

June

Slot 1 Mushmouth(saltwater stripers?)
    Slot 2 Mushmouth

July

Slot 1 open

Slot 2 open

August

Slot 1 Schwerty

Slot 2 open

September

Slot 1 open

Slot 2 take going to AKami (Canuckastan)

October

Slot 1 Sublime(Salmon)

Slot 2 open

November

Slot 1 open

Slot 2 open

December

Slot 1 open

Slot 2 open
    Last edited by Sublime; 02-16-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: more stuff added

That's alotta open spots.

Yeah demand hasn't been what I would think it would have been. Not sure if people just aren't looking in the fishing forums due to it being an off season. On the other side there is only 24 slots open which isn't that many and they should fill up fast.

Either way we might have to shrink it down to a large fly box and have this be a dual salt/fresh box. And if it gets going have the salt box added later on?

I'm in!

I wouldn't mind slot 2 in August, or slot 1 in Sept.

I'll also be dropping some flies in the mail.
    Last edited by ACheateaux; 02-17-2012 at 09:27 AM.