Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I'm pretty good at them, but I have a hard time teaching bump technique, but.

Stay forward, way way far forward.

Be aggressive. It sounds stupid but so many people become tentative and instead of committing to a turn and making it they hold back, get back seat, etc, then wonder why the moguls kicked their ass.

Take what is there. Sounds like it contradicts being aggressive, but it doesn't. Follow the path of least resistance, but be aggressive in following that path. Speed check on the top of moguls when necessary. When you get to a short section of shitty too tight moguls for your speed, air over them. When you to a spot where they all line up beautifully and no one has skied the tops off, bounce from top to top and take advantage of that soft snow on the crowns. When there is a perfect zipper line through the troughs, hit it.

Ski smoothly. If your upper body isn't calm, you're doing something wrong.

In the Greatest Nation on this Amazing Planet
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    wtf are moguls?
    WTF iza Chinese Downhill ?
    Quote Originally Posted by theshredder View Post
    i identify as a gay transexual

When I'm skiing bumps, I'm focused on which bumps I can air off of and where there's a good landing. Skiing them 2 or 3 at a time is much easier on the knees, better for your edges (if you have a thin snowpack), and generally flowier.

When I joined TGR it seemed like every thread was filled with people rapping into couloirs, keeping an edge on boilerplate over cliffs, sport-fucking rich married women, slaying dragons and krakens on 7 continents. Or was it always this limp-dick and I am just looking back through rose-colored goggles?

Now it's threads where guys post advice on how to jump over boxes in your basement to improve your mogul skills.

Sigh. I'm going to go slap my wife and blame it on my wheat consumption.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    When I joined TGR it seemed like every thread was filled with people rapping into couloirs, keeping an edge on boilerplate over cliffs, sport-fucking rich married women, slaying dragons and krakens on 7 continents. Or was it always this limp-dick and I am just looking back through rose-colored goggles?

Now it's threads where guys post advice on how to jump over boxes in your basement to improve your mogul skills.

Sigh. I'm going to go slap my wife and blame it on my wheat consumption.
    Gluten free for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    Now, you can't find a zipperline to save your life. BECAUSE OF from knuckledraggers, gapers, and fat kids.
    fixed it

Seriously though, Ajax still has some decent bumps, but 90% of the bumps I ski any more have very little rhythm.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Yep, all I skied growing up were bumps. Rocking the z-line down Skidder at the 'Loaf was the proving grounds. Bump skiing will help your balance and skiing is all about balance.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    fixed it

Seriously though, Ajax still has some decent bumps, but 90% of the bumps I ski any more have very little rhythm.
    fucking short skis. my snowboards are all longer than most skis these days and it does fuck up the bump lines. I don't cuz I don't do them like I am trying to fuck someone's grandma. Get after that shit.

No this isn't Gapicski. fuck them too.

Edit to add: sorry about the fucking grandma line. Comes from someone I knew giving shit to someone else and they said - "What the fuck is wrong with you? You ski bumps like old people fuck. Slow and careful. Let's go." that is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post
    As a wise man once told me:

It's not that you can't ski moguls, you can't ski, and the moguls just prove it.
    ^^^ Precisely this.

There is no perfect turn, and no perfect terrain on which to perform a perfect turn. So therefore we must learn to make any turn, on any terrain, at any time.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    When I joined TGR it seemed like every thread was filled with people rapping into couloirs, keeping an edge on boilerplate over cliffs, sport-fucking rich married women, slaying dragons and krakens on 7 continents.
    Yeah, but the reality is that a decent proportion of the skiers on this forum ski in the back seat with a heinous upper body rotation and a gay pole plant. They just get away with it because they're fit, motivated, have some balls and modern equipment.

wtf are moguls?
    God's way of telling you that your intended line has already been skied.

As Senor Mohawk stated "show me a ski hill without a mogul field"

While I did grow up stick chasing bumps were always something between where I was and going. The real trick is to be a stud and buck up.

1. Find the best line before you start - it will be fall line, and will have some smooth easy to identify troughs at least 4 or 5 turns (the longer the cooler you will look) I M P R O V I S E. ding. ding. ding.

2. Pole Plant. ding. ding. ding Breath too.

3. Keep looking ahead. I M P R O V i S E. ding. ding. ding

4. If you are cool now jump off of the next bump spread eagle ball grab and keep going

The trick to charging bumps is practice and balls. The key is to know how to back off and when to let em rip, and being good enough to let em rip without blowing up or looking like a kook.

Don't worry though because some of us just are really that much better

Skiing poor conditions makes you a better skier btw.

wtf are moguls?
    Little features on the slope to help you turn. Last year, Tahoe didn't have any and it was chaos. I hear AK suffers similarly this year. Pray to the weather gods, and maybe some moguls will appear. We could sure use your snow down here (this year we have no moguls either - no snow at all).
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

oh yea just like in powder "Feet Together, Knees Bent, Hands Up"
    SMILE

You guys have pretty much covered it all I think.

Except, didn't a Russian guy pioneer the whole mogulage technique in the 60s? Freagin communists invented mogulage?

Now you have to learn how to ski bumps on what olympic athletes use to train (ski around the jumps). Usually you'll see bamboo on the course to keep gapers off.

If you're not making about 2 turns per second then you're not skiing htem properly. Also don't turn in the rut, hit the bump and turn on that. Bumps are faster on ice than in fresh or spring snow, way more intense. That's when (as warthog eluded), your ski flies off behind you when you go down, later to return and hit you in the face.

In conclusion, I find that that having my binding mounted forward helps. In contrast, you'd want it mounted back for pow. If you can't ski moguls it doesn't really matter.

I took a four weekend course this winter. Single best thing I've done to improve technique in 20+ years skiing. Don't know why I waited so long.

Speed control is the whole focus for me, not slow, but the ability to control it. It's amazing how little adjustments can impact that. Getting your weight forward, ankle flex, and enough counter can really help keep the skis in contact with the snow. That translates to speed control, rhythm, and confidence.

Speed it up a little, rinse, repeat. The fun part for me is varying the line, sometimes hammering the zipper line but other times riding out random lines across the trough or turning on the tops. It's not as stylish, but definitely helps practice the need to turn unexpectedly and stay in control on varied terrain.
    Best Regards,

UMKP

"Peter, You've been missing a lot of work lately".
    "I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it, Bob".

As mentioned early on in this thread, skimming the tops is probably the easiest method out there, although it does require commitment to taking more speed through the line than one is likely comfortable with.

I didn't see any progression in my bump shredding ability until I paired up with three friends who all had backgrounds steeped in bump comps; forced myself to pick a line, point it, and rip it as fast as I could to try and keep up with them. Paid the price on a number of occassions, but that's why they put the bar at the bottom of the hill. All that said, I think one of the best parts about skiing out east for me ends up being the spring bumpfests.

Definitely agree with the assessment that bump skiers (current or former) possess greater ski control ability than those who shy away from the moundfields.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Little features on the slope to help you turn. Last year, Tahoe didn't have any and it was chaos. I hear AK suffers similarly this year. Pray to the weather gods, and maybe some moguls will appear. We could sure use your snow down here (this year we have no moguls either - no snow at all).
    I thought you were only suppose to turn when something got in your way?

I'm confused
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    God's way of telling you that your intended line has already been skied.
    Another reason to hate god and moguls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I love bumps. Finding them up here is going to be interesting.

As for technique I just try to do what my wife does as she kills it in any bumps, anytime. I did get a piece of advice once from her or another bump coach we hung out with that its like pedaling a bike backwards. Imagine that motion and get your legs to do it all while staying way forward.

I really do love bumps.

You're doing it all wrong. You're supposed to consume vast quantities of psychedelics and just let it rip.
    There's too much intellectualizing going on.

As for bumps who cares if I suck at them, I still like them. It's skiing dammit and as long as I'm not strapped down or my diaper needs changing, I'm going.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If you want to learn to ski bumps move to Telluride for a season. It's impossible not to rack up a couple hundred thousand vert of steep bumps in a year there. Nothing like skiing down the Spiral Stairs thinking you are ripping and having some chic on teles pass you at eye level to inspire you to get your zipper line dialed.

For my money the secret is an even median flexing ski. Stiff tails will kick your ass in short order. Ski the steepest bumps you can find because they will immediately punish you for technique errors and force you to ski right. Constant contact is what it takes, so flexibilty is better than strength.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Nothing like skiing down the Spiral Stairs thinking you are ripping and having some chic on teles pass you at eye level to inspire you to get your zipper line dialed.
    That's dialing a different zipper line.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

It's skiing dammit and as long as I'm not strapped down or my diaper needs changing, I'm going.
    Amen brother... Amen. You for sure would be fun to ski with.

I can have fun clicked in on small summer snow patches to the odd rail to wide open pow fields to high speed groomer domination... its all good. Its all skiing...

make sure you have fitted boots,more control of skis and turns if you can use your toes/feet for balance.

"it's all in the hips"