Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need a freezer

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    if you have the option get your beef sealed in kryovac instead of butcher paper. it will last 18-24 months compared to 6.
    This ^^^^^^
    steep knows what he it talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I always wondered what happened to Norton
    Sorry, but I knew Norton and soaking wet I don't think he would push the scales over 150. Miss that guy. He did come up and play at a mutual buddies wedding not long before he died. Just kind of sat in with the band and ripped it. Glad he made that last show.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Old appliance tech some years ago told me that when external temps fall below the thermostat setting, the compressor does not run. If the compressor does not run for long periods of time, the bearings in the compressor can seize, or you may get small coolant leaks in the system. Same applies to air conditioning systems in vehicles over the winter - it's good to run the AC now and again to lube all the parts and circulate the coolant.
    Garage is better than an exposed porch, a room heated just above freezing is best of all.
    so if the ambient in the space was to go to 20 C once a week then that would cover the lube probelm. Was planning on putting deep freeze in barn ( enclosed and insulated portion) which will lets say once a week creak up wood stove and make liveable as office /workshop. So as long as not long periods left at -10C outside ambient should be fine.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

our JC Penneys brand chest freezer is outside and has seen more than 20 years of freeze/thaw cycles (outside, not in the freezer) going to -40 for weeks at a time and generally never getting above freezing between the months of October and April. (it was a hand-me-down from my parents) i'm pretty sure it uses a bit of energy in summer, but it doesn't use any in winter, so i think it probably makes up for it. it does still work fine, and it keeps food frozen all summer, so while the compressor might have been affected by not running all winter every winter, after more than 20 years it does still work. we do need to get a new one some day soon, however, since the seal around the top has gotten a little wonky from being weighted down with snow for the last 4 winters... i should be nicer to it, but keep thinking we'll replace it... we'll probably get another chest freezer, though smaller this time. most likely from sears or home depot or lowes. we're expecting to pay $300-500, but then again the chest freezer is our only freezer, as our fridge is an under-the-counter unit with no internal freezer (thank goodness someone makes em without! i hate those useless little freezers) that we had to special order.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    I have both chest and upright freezers. Go upright hands down. This way you will be able to SEE what you have and use accordingly rather than have the dreaded "where the fuck is my stuff, ahh, hell, fuck it, i am going to buy something since i don't want to dig for what i wanted".
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

I'd go upright for what was mentioned above me. Digging for shit in a chest freezer gets out of control. id be on craigslist daily looking for one. As mentioned you need a newer one thats an energy saver. a whole slew of foreclosures coming with that new deal the banks struck. They'll start taking houses now. so you shouldnt have a problem finding one on craigslist in the next 6 months. Appliances are the first thing to go.

when purchasing used be sure to look inside the tied shut door for a dead hooker.
    bf

Bump.

Any reason not to buy the cheapest 7cf upright on the market?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6346184

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Bump.

Depends on your goals. I'm sure the freezer in and of itself is totally fine. For my purposes (just meat), dead simple with NO auto-defrost is the name of the game. I like to go through a freezer-full through the course of the year and by the time we're ready for another cow, we've depleted our stocks 100%, unplug, open her up, defrost fully, clean it out, and fire 'er back up for another year with fresh meatz. For us, the el-cheapo models have been perfect! I've actually heard great things about that little Insignia one. I think they're pretty reliable and the size is actually a positive for many who don't want a giant unit hogging up their entire space.

I used to defrost my freezer with an ice hammer (kind of an old school miniature ice axe). Works fine if you're careful.

Plugged in the 1968 Kenmore ur the other day and its cold af two days later. Its going to live with my brother since he needs a freezr.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Bump.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I bought a super cheap Haier from Walmart 10yrs ago and it’s still going strong. No issues; occasionally I’ll de ice every few years

I've been using a Midea unit at home for a few years now with zero issues.

I bought one for our Burning Man camp and it kept ice frozen solid on the playa and ran from solar panels, pulling around 70W average. There is no reason to spend more.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Name:  IMG_6867.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  101.3 KB
    Frigidaire from Walmart. Less than $200. Delivered to my door free. Started out with a couple tuppers frozen till I filled it with meat and goodies. Almost never runs. -15 to 20

I guess the dog ain't getting in there!