Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mexico Vacation: Puerto Vallarta vs. La Paz/Cabo?

I'm looking to go on a kid-free vacation somewhere in Mexico with the missus for 4-6 days in late June. We've done a crapload of shoestring travel before but have never done a resorty vacation. Nor have we been to Mexico outside of Tijuana and Tecate. We're in our mid-30's and we'll be celebrating our 10th anniversary, so we're due for a little pampering.

Here are things we'd generally like:
    • *Somewhere accessible by Alaskan Airlines (I will use my FF miles to buy my ticket), which generally means the West Coast of Mexico
    • *Access to nice beaches that aren't too crowded
    • *Decent snorkling and diving (won't be the focal point of our trip but it's something we'll do for 2 or 3 of the days)
    • *Delicious Mexican food and beverages (from street food to Michelin-rated restaurants and everything imbetween)
    • *Some access to authentic Mexican culture (e.g., a nice town or city to wander around)

Here are things we don't really care about:
    • *Surfing
    • *Golf
    • *Clubs/Nightlife

Here are things we'd like to affirmatively avoid:
    • *Spring Break-type college crowds
    • *Aesthetics-offending tourist traps that bear little relationship to the native culture (e.g., Patong in Thailand, Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, etc.)

Right now, we're thinking La Paz or Puerto Vallarta. We're also considering Cabo, but it seems like it may be a little too Sammy Hagar for our tastes. Mazatlan and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa are also in the mix.

Thanks in advance!

Cabo proper isn't the place if you want to snorkel......wicked rough surf up on shore.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I got married in Cabo and have been 6 times. It is my favorite place in Mexico bar none.

We got married at the Westin which is fantastic and very affordable compared to a lot of other Westin's worldwide. Every room has at least a partial ocean view and the building and property is simply stunning. It was renovated in '08/09 and is very well run and clean. Management has always been professional and awesome dealing with all our issues around the wedding and with other trips.

The best part of it is that the Westin is in the "tourist corridor" which is the highway between San Lucas and San Jose. You are not in some dirty city or surrounded by tons of other hotels and what not. It is very peaceful and you can walk really far down the beach past all these insane houses. That being said you NEED a rental car as it is not walking distance to either town but that is cool as rental cars are cheap and the roads and signs are all first rate.

Towns:
    San Jose is the quaint, authentic Mexican town that you are looking for. There are always street festivals going on and tons of artsy stuff and cool shops that sell things other than sombreros and shot glasses. San Lucas is the crazier, busier city but that being said there are some cool places to see there and if you do a cruise or fishing trip it will most likely leave from there.

Food:
    I am hungry thinking about it. The food options in the Los Cabos area are insanely good.
    -Tequila Restaurant in San Jose: http://www.tequilarestaurant.com/home.htm
    It is an amazing back yard garden setting with superb food.

-Casianos in San Jose: http://www.casianos.com/
    Really cool, innovative fusion cuisine, tasting menu type food

-La Fonda in San Lucas: No website but a good sized, traditional "real" mexican restaurant. We had our a huge dinner here with our guests and it is so damn good.

-Sunset de Mona Lisa: http://sunsetmonalisa.com/
    Closer to San lucas and the best view you can imagine. We had our rehearsal dinner hear and people were simply awestruck at how amazing the setting was. Food is pretty good but you go for the view.

-French Riveria: closer to San Jose http://www.frenchrivieraloscabos.com/
    About as high end as you can get and worth every penny.

-Gordon Lele's Taco's in San Lucas. Hard to find in a back neighborhood it is a hole in the wall taco place that is a must. The guy who runs it is hilarious. A must for a quick lunch.

Overall Cabo is safe, fun, has great hotels and the food is unreal. We are going back in March and I can't freakin' wait....

Don't know much about the other joints, but would maybe steer away from Cabo as montanaskier said. Water-related activities are not all that great unless you like to fish. There are certainly some good little food joints, but it is still kinda spring-breakish.

edit: as I just saw Bommer's post. Food tis good, and nice stuff outside the Marina area, but again, unless you like to fish or golf, I would be willing to bet there are better options.

Have to toss out Isla Mujeres, a really small island off the coast of Cancun. Granted it's been ten years since i've been there, but it doesn't sound like it's changed much at all. I guess one higher rise hotel has been built, but the place i stayed was 3 stories high and supercheap.

It has all of your likes, the only close call is the number of Michelin-rated restaurants. This was by far the nicest place when i was there, looks like there are indeed a couple of new ones. This is a great website of most all of the midlevel and cheap but delicious eats...

It fills up mid-day with day trippers from Cancun, but the mornings and evenings are magic. And it still has retained it's 'small town Mexico' feel...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Don't know much about the other joints, but would maybe steer away from Cabo as montanaskier said. Water-related activities are not all that great unless you like to fish. There are certainly some good little food joints, but it is still kinda spring-breakish.
    San Lucas and San Jose are so night and day it isn't funny. I would never stay IN San Lucas but that doesn't mean it can't be fun here and there.

Fishing is clearly the big draw but snorkeling is good and I forgot to mention the sunset catamaran cruises out around "el archo". They also have to America's Cup racing boats that you can go out on and sail which is pretty cool if that is your thing.

The sea can be very rough at times but there are plenty of places where you can find little coves and what not where the water is very calm. If you go in the fall the whale migration is one of the cooler things you'll ever see. Literally hundreds of whales EVERYWHERE, breaching like a god damn insurance commercial everywhere you look..

edit: as I just saw Bommer's post. Food tis good, and nice stuff outside the Marina area, but again, unless you like to fish or golf, I would be willing to bet there are better options.
    know of any good timeshares in Cabo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

La Paz

I went to La Paz 10-12yrs ago to Scuba Dive and there wasn't a whole lot there. I would have been bored if not diving everyday all day.

Authentic mexican town however....but expect 3rd world conditions. People were genuine and the vib was a normal residential city in the world....nothing like your typical Mexican Resort town with scamming and begging.

I'll throw out a vote for Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. It's been 5+ years, but Zihua was a really nice, quiet fishing town with all the tourist crap on the other side of the hill in Ixtapa. There are a few decent places to snorkel. I wasn't certified to dive at the time, but I heard it was just OK.

I preferred it to Vallarta or Cabo.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    San Lucas and San Jose are so night and day it isn't funny. I would never stay IN San Lucas but that doesn't mean it can't be fun here and there.

Fishing is clearly the big draw but snorkeling is good and I forgot to mention the sunset catamaran cruises out around "el archo". They also have to America's Cup racing boats that you can go out on and sail which is pretty cool if that is your thing.

The sea can be very rough at times but there are plenty of places where you can find little coves and what not where the water is very calm. If you go in the fall the whale migration is one of the cooler things you'll ever see. Literally hundreds of whales EVERYWHERE, breaching like a god damn insurance commercial everywhere you look..

Totally agree on the differences between San Lucas and San Jose. And you are starting to make me reconsider how I spend my time when I am down there. I have spent a ton of time fishing, eating, drinking and golfing but haven't strayed enough from the hubs I think.

Sorry for the hijack AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    know of any good timeshares in Cabo?
    Say it with me, I have a little place in Cabo. Sounds good doesn't it? You could save 1.8 million dollars in your lifetime on vacation expenses. Trust me, the math works. PM for details.

Say it with me, I have a little place in Cabo. Sounds good doesn't it? You could save 1.8 million dollars in your lifetime on vacation expenses. Trust me, the math works. PM for details.
    does he get like free tickets to a fiesta, or other complimentary tours or meals?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

zihuatanejo was a great place I would go back for sure. just look it up you won't regret a trip to zihuatanejo.

Puerto Val. was second very nice and I had better fishing there then in cabo.

Cabo I did not enjoy so much and the fishing there was not so good when I was there.
    "Hold my beer...Watch this!"

Totally agree on the differences between San Lucas and San Jose. And you are starting to make me reconsider how I spend my time when I am down there. I have spent a ton of time fishing, eating, drinking and golfing but haven't strayed enough from the hubs I think.

Sorry for the hijack AK.
    One couple that come to our wedding had been before and done the more spring-break vibe thing before, staying IN San Lucas and what not. After our wedding they commented that they felt like they had gone to a different country. Going to places like Cabo Wabo and the Giggling Marlin is for fucking amateurs IMO.

Lots of other cool stuff land side as well like horse back riding up in the mountains, atv tours and this one thing where you can rip around in baja buggys (on my list for this coming trip).

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    does he get like free tickets to a fiesta, or other complimentary tours or meals?
    Of course! There are so many wonderful reasons to purchase my, I mean a, timeshare!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28
    San Jose is the quaint, authentic Mexican town that you are looking for. There are always street festivals going on and tons of artsy stuff and cool shops that sell things other than sombreros and shot glasses. San Lucas is the crazier, busier city but that being said there are some cool places to see there and if you do a cruise or fishing trip it will most likely leave from there.
    This. Been to San Jose a few times. Some swimmable beaches such as Zippers. Cheap condos can be rented from US owners. Fun place, not manic like CSL. Easy access to Gulf side.

EDIT: Would also recommend day trip to Todos Santos and area. Also, I am pretty sure Alaskan flies to Los Cabos airport.
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 02-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Of course! There are so many wonderful reasons to purchase my, I mean a, timeshare!
    You gonna throw in a free dinner cruise and a reach around?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

people purchase? I thought you just get the free breakfast and rental car. I'll through out Puerto Morelos, little south of Cancun. I don't remember the snorkeling being that great but don't know anywhere in Mexico where it is. Need a boat to get out to the reef, easy to charter. Get a rental car easy driving on modern roads. Spend a day checking out Tulum and Coba. visit a cenote. Puerto Morelos isn't much of a city to wander around in. Small town that is now dependent on tourism. However it is quiet. Zihuatanejo sounds interesting.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post

EDIT: Would also recommend day trip to Todos Santos and area.
    Todos Santos was totally underwhelming for me. I expected an out-of-the-way artsy little town. It had the same shitty nicknacks as CSL, just fewer college kids. And Hotel California didn't really do it for me. Maybe other folks dug it, but I have given it two chances and found little to bring me back a third time.

I did Cabo and Zihaunteneco. Totally different but I'd choose Zihaunteneco as the more interesting of the two. Cabo was pretty spring break style scene, and we had fun but mostly just drank. Zihaunteneco had good surfing options, and much more authentic feel.

Cozumel or Playa Carmen if you can get there. A lot to do, great Mayan ruins, white sand beaches, and you are away from Cancun (which if you just want to eat, drink, lay on a beach and get spa treatments wouldn't be a bad choice either.) Isla Mujeres is a neat little spot, but the operative word is "little". Access to Merida is doable if you want some old Colonial Mexico and Chichen Itza or Ushmal are worth the time spent seeing them.

Cabo is over priced from everybody who's ever been there (I have not). Puerto Vallarta or Puerto Neuva are nice, but I just landed there and rented a car and headed to a little town named Chalaca and rented a room. Real nice and laid back, but maybe not the anniversary thing you are looking for.

I have never been impressed with restaurants in Mexico. They have great local food, but when there I prefer the palapa restaurants on the beach for real local flavors. Even in Merida the biggest city in the Yucatan, the best food was still just the local ingredients.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Cancun is an overpriced shithole. Only place in MX I've ever paid $12 for a margarita. Looks like Myrtle Beach with blue water. I'd stay on the Pacific side - Sayulita is still awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I'm looking to go on a kid-free vacation somewhere in Mexico with the missus for 4-6 days in late June. ...
    Here are things we'd like to affirmatively avoid:
    • *Spring Break-type college crowds
    well you're in luck as Mid-late June is the time for HIGH SCHOOL GRADS Absolute BEST time to get an STD (indirectly I hope) from Mario Lopez...

Have you considered Hawaii? Alaskaair has some great flights - maybe Kauai for your tastes?!?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Here's my post from one of the other Cabo threads, take it for what it's worth or take it as a warning:

Originally Posted by commonlaw
    Hate to harsh on anyone's recommendations in this thread but...I think Todos Santos is nothing special (although I do recommend getting out of Cabo proper) and I never fish with anyone that has an actual website. Good fishing and good deals will find you down there.
    Have to agree here. Every charter I've fished on looked like the boat was stolen, and possibly a death trap, but we always consistantly came back with 10x the mahi and marlin than the shiny Hatteras boats of the Puerto Rican navy. Ask around, someone will tell you their buddy is a decent charter for fishing. Avoid websites, kiosks, etc.

Originally Posted by Rontele
    Good eats in Cabo.
    The Office for breakfast
    Dinner at La Fonda, Frida, Edith's, Nik San, but expect to spend some $$$$.
    +1 for all these, but I'd definitely add Mi Casa to the list. Very good food. Oh, and Office for lunch, it's a shitshow for dinner.

I'm not huge on Mexico to begin with, much less the touristy locales that Cabo has. Seems like a bunch of Ed Hardy wearin' fist pumpin douches from Vancouver or San Diego flock to the pee-in-the-pool all inclusives that load up the beachfront. That being said, there are some very nice spots like Las Ventanas and everything pretty much way north of downtown, and the suggestions above are good eats/places to go.

Also, do you like golf? Cabo Real is a nice track that goes from mountain desert course on the front to oceanfront/desert on the back. Not too far from there is Palmilla which is a nice oceanfront course as well.

Enjoy!

EDIT to add: Cabo Wabo can be fun for one night out, but Squid Roe is like a breeding ground for rapists and crack dealers.
    Looking back on this post, I remember how good some of the meals I had there were, and how nice Las Ventanas was to stay at, but I also think there are way better places to take the kind of trip you're looking to do than Mexico. FWIW.
    I still call it The Jake.

I just got back from Mexico. I learned that I do not wish to purchase cocaine from any gentlemen on the street with neck tattoos.

Even if they are white.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot