Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Some great advice here. Thanks all!

For the record, I did consider Hawaii. But we've both been there before. And I feel like I need to give Mexico a chance. I've traveled a shitload abroad but have only been to Tijuana and Tecate, which probably aren't the best Mexico has to offer.

Also, just curious, how do people feel about all-inclusive deals? I can definitely see the appeal, but I also like to eat out and explore a bit so I'm inclined to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Looking back on this post, I remember how good some of the meals I had there were, and how nice Las Ventanas was to stay at, but I also think there are way better places to take the kind of trip you're looking to do than Mexico. FWIW.
    Um, am I reading the rates for Las Ventanas right at $600-$800 a night? Definitely out of our price range and, IMO, money much better spent on a heli-ski trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Cancun is an overpriced shithole. Only place in MX I've ever paid $12 for a margarita. Looks like Myrtle Beach with blue water. I'd stay on the Pacific side - Sayulita is still awesome.
    Pacific side=crap snorkeling compared to Caribbean side. Cancun does suck monkey balls. As does Cozumel, unless you know the town and are a hard core diver. But an hour south of Cancun, toward Playa, Puerto Adventuras, Punta Allen, is awesome. As is Isla, but i won't repeat.

OP- i've always said screw it to all inclusives as that is the opposite of the experience i personally was looking for, diversity in exploring the local town and culture. Nothing like turning into a regular at a little beach bar with swings for chairs and $2 drinks... If i went all-inc i'd stay at that property all day 'to get my money's worth'...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Also, just curious, how do people feel about all-inclusive deals? I can definitely see the appeal, but I also like to eat out and explore a bit so I'm inclined to avoid them.
    Unless you find a really good deal I have never had success with all-inclusives in mexico. They always turn out to be way too american and only have decent food.

Stayed in Cabo San Lucas and San Jose de Cabo this past year and it was surprisingly fun. I might be completely bias because I stayed at two top-notch places for very cheap, and had easy access to a car, kayaks, etc.

Cabo San Lucas is actually pretty nice when the cruise ships aren't there as they usually carry all of the tourists/college kids. Snorkeling can be pretty good right at the El Archo point and there is supposedly amazing diving at Cabo Pulmo (didn't go). Todos Santos as others mentioned is cool but you wouldn't miss anything by not going there. Food is really excellent everywhere I ate but more expensive then other mexico towns I have been to. San Jose de Cabo is probably the nicest town in Mexico I have been to and there Thursday night art walk kicks ass. If you go to this part of Mexico I would spend a few days on the beach in Cabo and a few at San Jose de Cabo.

Anyways enough talk below are a few photos I took from Cabo and links to my website with more:

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Um, am I reading the rates for Las Ventanas right at $600-$800 a night? Definitely out of our price range and, IMO, money much better spent on a heli-ski trip.
    Yes, you are. Rates weren't quite that high when I was there, (and we had some fortunate "corporate backing") but it was the only "all-inclusive" that I've ever truly enjoyed. You're right, the money is way better spent. . . in a multitude of places (out of Mexico IMO). Take the heli-trip. The restaurants that I mentioned in my post are still very good, as were some of the golf spots. I'm just not sure it's all really worth the trip there for the money. There's fun to be had in off the beat spots, but again, I think for what you're angling for you can do better elsewhere. Check out the suggestions that others have here for DIY trips outside the walls of even some of the best resorts if you're seriously thinking Mexico. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for. Good luck, I hope you find the trip that fits your needs!
    I still call it The Jake.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...agePlan-redeem
    Partner Awards are valid on round-trip itineraries using any one of our Partner Airlines. Availability is limited, so you'll want to plan ahead, especially for summer or holiday travel.

Partner award travel with American Airlines and Delta Air Lines can be booked online. All other Partner award travel may be booked through the Partner Desk at 1-800-307-6912, daily between 5:00 a.m. and midnight (PT).
    i don't see the need to restrict to only places that Alaska Air flies its metal to.

try belize, better and cheaper everything.

Didn't bother reading the thread, so sorry if I'm repeating someone else's advice.

Based on your desire to avoid tourist traps, DO NOT GO TO CABO. I lived in Baja for awhile, and have travelled there many times since. Cabo is a garbage tourist trap filled with assholes and $6 T-shirts. Todos Santos, 30 miles to the north, is beautiful. It's not suitable for snorkeling, since it's on the Pacific side, but everything thing else about that town rules. There's plenty of gringos around, and nice places to eat, but it avoids that tourist-trap feel where it seems like the whole town depends on only that.

If you want to get on the Sea of Cortez side, Buenavista is great. Nice town, nice restaurants, wonderful taco stands, friendly people and generally a down-home kinda feel. There's arroyos to rip 4-wheelers around in, great beaches and it's close to San Jose del Cabo, where you'd fly in. If you go to Buenavista, check out La Ribera. It's where I used to live (in 1st grade) and it's an awesome, quaint little town.

Seriously, don't go to Cabo. It's physically beautiful, but fuck everything else about that place.

Of your 2 choices I'd suggest PV over Cabo. Cabo (at least Cabo proper) seems so Americanized and fake. PV is a real town with some actual culture. But if you want to snorkel then you want to go to the Caribbean side. My mom and sister just got back from Isla Mujeres and said it was fantastic. Very low key with nice beaches, good food, and great snorkeling. We had a similarly good experience with Cozumel. We rented a house in town and a little SUV so that we could really explore the island. Great street food, quality snorkeling on the west side, awesome and nearly deserted beaches on the east side, and really friendly people.

Oh, and Mexico in June is going to be hot. Like really hot. Find a rental with air conditioning.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    I went to La Paz 10-12yrs ago to Scuba Dive and there wasn't a whole lot there. I would have been bored if not diving everyday all day.

Authentic mexican town however....but expect 3rd world conditions. People were genuine and the vib was a normal residential city in the world....nothing like your typical Mexican Resort town with scamming and begging.
    +1 For La Paz.

From your description of what you want, I'd pick it over PV (although I don't think I'd go to either in June). We stayed on the out skirts of town at La Concha resort. Very nice. Decent beach. Snorkeling off the beach or you can book trips at a place on the pier right at the resort. The town is definitely 'real mexico'. Lots of exploring to do by car.

Generally, the snorkeling and diving along the Pacific coast of Mexico is not that great. The carribean side is much better.

Also, The timing of your trip could be better. Late June is the start of the rainy season. One trip I had in late June had 3 straight days of rain.

Puerto Vallarta

This is a big city with rocky beaches. Great food with all the hustle and bustle of a real city.

Nearby to the north is a town called Sayulita. I have stayed nearby at a small resort called Playa escondida. It was a cute place with a small beach. About a mile walk (dusty) to the town.

Its a truely unique place.

http://www.playa-escondida.com/

Take a look at trip adivsor for reviews.

Also, Sayulita will be the least touristy place. It is a surfing village, but far enough away that it is not swamped by the masses.

Cabo San Lucas.

I stayed here at the Riu palace all inclusive. Nice place with decent food. Nice beach with natural shade (palm trees). I go here when I want to do absolutely nothing but relax and walk along the very long beach.

Short cab ride into town. Watch out for the cruise ships as they come in and swamp the downtown area.

Zihuatanejo

http://www.zihuatanejo.net/

Stay in the La Ropa Beach area, which is about 3/4 mile walk to the town area. Lots of places to choose from.

Mazatlan

Been there. Nothing exciting to report.

Another option if you want a sleepy laid back seaside town is Loreto. It is easy to get to, a fairly short flight, and is perfect for a three day get away. Send much more time there and you will get bored, but renting a car can get you to a lot of cool spots if you do spend time there. There are no big hotels (unless you go down coast 20-30 miles), but several 10-30 room places. Hire a panga for the day a visit the islands for hiking, snorkeling, et cetera. A couple nice places to eat, (by Mexican restaurant standards.)

All inclusives are fine if you plan to stay on property, but every time you leave you are spend money on things you have already paid for. They are great if you just plan on sitting on a beach and having somebody bring drinks to you all day long, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

As has been said, the snorkeling is lacking on the Pac side compared to the Atl.
    Still, was able to do a bit of snorkeling on a tour in PV and around Stone Island near Mazatlan.
    I love body surfing and Mazatlan is definitely tops for that in my book, the beaches are beautiful there. I also actually felt like I was in Mexico while in MZT, not so much for Cabo or Cancun.
    Zihuat is a fun little town we'd definitely go back, we took the bus up to Ixtapa for an afternoon, see no reason to ever go back there. We rented a car at the end of our trip and drove down to Acapulco for a couple nights, big city, can say I've been there now, no longer on the list.
    I hear good things about Huatulco but never been, further south and I know AK doesn't fly there but it's kinda #1 on my hitlist for Mexico
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

IMO Mullege > Loreto.

So, I keep hearing great things about Zihuatanejo, but the flight situations looks a little too complicated and/or expensive. There seem to more directish flights to Cabo and PV. So it's probably out.

Here's my summation and feel free to correct me on my generalizations:

It sounds like the Cabo is more scenic, deserty, and expensive. The beaches are nice but often for looks only. Cabo San Lucas itself sounds like a crappy place. But, La Paz is day-trippable and probably has some decent diving/snorkeling. San Jose is a nice place to hang out with authentic "Mexican culture."

PV is more jungly, has decent if not amazing beaches, and the snorkeling diving is okay but not great. The town itself is more bustling and cosmopolitan and probably has some douchey touristy aspects but also has a lot of "authentic Mexican culture."

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    We got married at the Westin which is fantastic and very affordable compared to a lot of other Westin's worldwide. Every room has at least a partial ocean view and the building and property is simply stunning. It was renovated in '08/09 and is very well run and clean. Management has always been professional and awesome dealing with all our issues around the wedding and with other trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by mel221 View Post
    Nearby to the north is a town called Sayulita. I have stayed nearby at a small resort called Playa escondida. It was a cute place with a small beach. About a mile walk (dusty) to the town.

Its a truely unique place.

http://www.playa-escondida.com/

Take a look at trip adivsor for reviews.
    These two places both look sweet.

Diving is better in Cabo than in LaPaz, supposedly, especially if you're experienced and can do Gordo Banks: 100-140ft and tons of Hammerheads.

Tipp = Whale Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Dude - you're one to talk.

Besides... Krill is delicious.

Dude - you're one to talk.
    I saw your pics from Honduras on Facebook. Beached whale

Read my edit.

Read my edit.
    . Thread hijack, whats currently your favorite eating establishment in D.C.? Frau and I are coming in March.

If you have the $$$ the wife and I just had one of our best meals ever last night (15th Anniversary) at Marcel's. Unbelievably good, but fucking expensive.

Worth it tho all in all.

Looks too formal.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    IMO Mullege > Loreto.
    True, but you can fly AKair to Loreto. Mullege is harder to get to. Both are get little Mexican beach towns with out a lot of tourist influence (other then a few snowbirds.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Diving is better in Cabo than in LaPaz, supposedly, especially if you're experienced and can do Gordo Banks: 100-140ft and tons of Hammerheads.

You can see that in off La Paz also. Plus the Giant Mantas and more Morey Eels than you can shake a stick at.

Noice. I wanna go!