Advice Needed - Inexpensive external light - or stick with a flash?

I usually don't like to use a flash, preferring natural light or whatever light is available. I was given an old Canon 420EX that I use on occasion, but frankly, I don't like how the pics look as a result of the harsh flash. I can't find a diffuser for it here in Germany that will fit this old flash, either. Anyway, I'm actually more interested in getting some kind of external light, preferably something that can both run on battery power and can be plugged in. Mainly, I'd be using this light as a studio light to take pictures of our daughters in the house, since the lights in this old Bavarian farmhouse are not that good. I would like to get something that is inexpensive, but that still gives decent results. I figure with post processing, I can take out any extra blue or yellow that a cheaper light might create. I also like the idea of taking a light on the road, just in case I feel like doing any light painting on a subject - something that will work better than a petzl headlamp, at least. So, any ideas? Thanks!

, it took me two hours to finish this post. Newborns, for some dang reason, need a lot of attention!

You need the flash off camera.... Buy a pair of Yongnuo RF-603's. http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-RF-603.../dp/B0050E7OSM

Read this blog Strobist http://strobist.blogspot.com/

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...fusers&x=0&y=0
    +
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ync+cord+canon

No need for wireless for home portraits. Diffuse the flash, hold it out at arm's length, and shoot. The spill will light the background enough - if too much simply angle the flash more towards the camera - ie point it 1/2 way between the lens and the subject.

Your Canon 420EX should work just fine. I think you are looking at the wrong thing for light modifiers as most are universal and use a velco strap to connect to the end of the flash such as products from these guys: http://www.lumiquest.com/

Read the strobist site mentioned above as virtually everything related to camera flash and lighting is on that sight.

I have a lot to learn about lighting, but I found that I get the most out of my flash for indoor kid shots by pointing it up and back to bounce off the walls and ceiling behind me. Seems to spread the light around pretty good.

should have been more clear with my original post, but I do think you guys have pretty much answered my question. I should have framed it differently but wasn't thinking too clearly. I think I'll just order a diffuser off of amazon, learn how to use that better, and go from there. I can always get a decent flashlight in the future to light paint or illuminate large, dim subjects. One thing I don't want to do is to invest in a shit-ton of lighting equipment right now. Just don't have that much interest in studio stuff or even working with complicated light setups outdoors.

I do want to learn more about lighting, though, and will read through that blog when I have some free time in the next month.

Tippster - thanks for the, umm, tip, on that off-camera solution. Cheap and easy. Thanks!

Vandeezy - the camera shops near me suck. I bought a diffuser and was told it would work, took it home, and it didn't fit. It was too large and the velcro didn't nearly strap down tight enough. I could have modified it, but I took it back since it was 30 frickin' Euros (I now see they cost 7 dollars on Amazon....).

outabounds - I've messed with all types of angles and bouncing the light, and just haven't liked the results in my house. I'll play some more with it in the coming days as I'm sure I just suck at it and need to experiment more.

thanks guys!

Check out http://cheesycam.com/. He posts tons of reviews and places to buy small LCD light panels. I would look into one of those. Sounds right up your alley for constant (non-strobe) lighting. And most work off battery packs and are light to travel with. I have used a ton but have no clue what brand they were. Always someone else lights on the crew.

Also you never mentioned using flash compensation. I have found with an on camera or even slightly off camera flash I have always had to use compensation by at least -1 1/3 or it was just too hot, even with a diffuser.

PS... I'm a super newb when it comes to strobe.

Thanks, system. I have played with the compensation, but not enough to get things even close to dialed. I guess I should also mention I'm using a 5d II, so no built in flash. The gifted 420 is the first and only flash I've had for this camera. I was looking at some of the LCD panels on Amazon and was intrigued. I just need to read more about them all. I think for now, I'll keep it as simple as possible, but it looks like a definite future possibility. thanks!

This is what I'm dealing with in Germany. Like it's 1982 here still..... ALL of the photoshops in the area I live in think this is high art. I just got some really good news about my art today, though. Maybe we can move out of podunk doucheland soon to someplace a little more suited to our tastes. Like Chamonix or St. Anton, Austria Bit of a pipe dream, but I like to dream big!

Check out the Gallery images for this place

If the 420ex can swivel 90 degrees straight up, I'd try bouncing first. I've gotten good results under all types of weird ceilings with that (albeit with a 430ex). Tried a cheap diffuser from Amazon, didn't work well at all (harsh shadows). All shots in this gallery were with the 430ex bounced off the ceiling (from very low and flat to very high and angled).
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Thanks, Fuzz. I've been working on bouncing the flash a bit, and getting some decent results. Think it's just a matter of practice and getting some different settings dialed in. I'll keep working on it Cheers!

edit to add picture from early this morning. This was the third try bouncing the flash. Still had to desaturate the pic a bit in post processing, but it came out decent.
    Last edited by DeutschBag; 02-06-2012 at 04:51 AM.

Definitely keep playing with the swivel and doing manual settings. My first time playing with flash was on Saturday night, and I decided to screw ETTL and dial in the flash power and exposure manually. It worked out pretty well with the diffuser, a 1/8 power setting, high bounce, and shooting nearly wide open.

(yah his finger stache is upside down)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell