Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XT brakes on DH rig?

Any thoughts? I need to replace the Codes that are on my rig now and much prefer the Shimano stuff. But, I'm wondering if I can save some coin over using Saints. Would the new XT's be up to the job when paired w/ 203 rotors? FWIW, I go about 175 geared up and my bike weighs in at around 42 lbs.

Any newer brake besides maybe the ultralight racer stuff like xtr or scram xxxxx.0000xxxxx..0000 is still LIGHT YEARS better than what was sold as 'dh' brakes even 4 years ago......ridden at the same speeds on the same bikes on the same terrain. Even the racer stuff is probably fine they'll just be more prone heat up more since there's less material on them.

You'll be fine.

Saints rule and I'll never intentionally run anything else on my dh bike any time soon but newer XTs are awesome too. As long as your not a 350lb constant brake dragger, you won't have any problems.

Might just be marketing gimmicks, but the new XT ICE-tech or whatever pads seem to make some sense. Should help dissipate some of the heat, then again the DH tracks you're liking riding (Wisp I presume) also don't have much vertical drop either.

I've ridden Wisp DH runs on a variety of bikes, including my XC race/ht without issues...

I've ridden for a bit on the new XTR race stuff, and am in lust for it.

Yup. The new XTs are sick. really powerful. 203 up front 185 in back, you'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    ...As long as your not a 350lb constant brake dragger, you won't have any problems.
    . Looks like it's Saint for me then.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Might just be marketing gimmicks, but the new XT ICE-tech or whatever pads seem to make some sense. Should help dissipate some of the heat, then again the DH tracks you're liking riding (Wisp I presume) also don't have much vertical drop either.
    Actually did a half-day at Wisp but 3 days at Snowshoe last summer.

Sounds like I'll go w/ XT

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    . Looks like it's Saint for me then.
    Yeah but 200lbs of that is facial hair styling product so not really your 'race weight'

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Any newer brake besides maybe the ultralight racer stuff like xtr or scram xxxxx.0000xxxxx..0000 is still LIGHT YEARS better than what was sold as 'dh' brakes even 4 years ago......ridden at the same speeds on the same bikes on the same terrain. Even the racer stuff is probably fine they'll just be more prone heat up more since there's less material on them.
    Hey, now. Don't you go insultin' my old Gustavs. While they were heavy as shit, they kicked ass. Another benefit was that you could run smaller rotors than most other brakes since they were filled with the power of greyskull. That said, I really like my new Ones and it's amazing that you can get something nearly as powerful at racerboy weights now.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Two days ago I ordered up a set of XTR Trail brakes from my LBS...they should be here any day now. They are not on my bike yet, and I have no real world experience with them... but they are already the best brake I have ever owned

PS - Formula R1's for sale (no rotors)
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

BigE - Ah yeah, i've forgotten about Snowshoe now that it's like 10 hours from my house. Never did MTB there, though obviously heard all the great things.

TR - I know you live in CA and all, but I thought you'd have gotten the Race ones to save 1.8g per side Plus now that you're a pro you can't been seen on anything except the latest lightest stuff can you?

I lol'ed at Arty's power of greyskull reference.

Arty, defender of the secrets of Castle Greyskull. Prince of Eternia.

TR - I know you live in CA and all, but I thought you'd have gotten the Race ones to save 1.8g per side Plus now that you're a pro you can't been seen on anything except the latest lightest stuff can you?
    buy my R1's!
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    they were filled with the power of greyskull. .
    she's filled with the power of my greyskull OH YEAH!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greyskull-power-company_4.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	109315
    One Gear, Two Planks

Sorry man, my heart is set on something of asian persuasion.

I'd love to call her the Sorceress...
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

ty, i might buy your R1s. i gots plenty of formula rotorz to match. PM me your amazingly low price that I cannot resist.

Big E, go Asian if you want...but the Formula RX for $300 a set w/ rotors and adaptors is the best performance:value brake on the market. I have some on my uzzi, 203 up front and 180 rear. not quite as much power as Saint/The Ones, but remarkably close.

RX FTW. And for the wallet too.

the new Shimano brakes are seriously the best brakes I have ever ridden. I would no doubt run new XTR Trail or even XT brakes on a DH rig with 203 rotor front 180 rear. Even better, if you can order levers and calipers separate, do the pro trick and run XTR trail levers and saint calipers. BOSS.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Big E, go Asian if you want...but the Formula RX for $300 a set w/ rotors and adaptors is the best performance:value brake on the market. I have some on my uzzi, 203 up front and 180 rear. not quite as much power as Saint/The Ones, but remarkably close.
    Good to know, but I'm inclined to stick w/ Shimano. I have them on my other bikes and they've never let me down, they're easy to bleed when they need it (which isn't very often), and I am happy to avoid using DOT fluid whenever possible. Having parts that are swappable between 3 bikes (4 if I include my gf's) is a big benefit.

^^ Good call, I loathe Avid's bleed process. If it's harder to bleed my MTB brakes than my car, it's designed poorly.

I have heard that Formula is much more Shimano like w/ easy bleeding. Also the Shimano cross compatibility is awesome. Looking to make a full transition soon.

^^ Good call, I loathe Avid's bleed process.
    Here's the first part I don't get about the Avids - why is it designed such that the handlebar is in the way of the MC reservoir? I mean, this seems so obvious!!!

Curious about Kidwoo's statement up top but would like input from anyone.
    How do my Gustavs compare to the top dogs, like Saints, right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I ran a set of clearance LX discs on the Highline, including some time at Whistler. Never felt undergunned. Currently running the previous gen. SLX on the trail bike. I love 'em. As good as those lower end brakes have been, I imagine that the XT and XTR versions are straight fuckin' ta tas.....straight.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    which one.......full trucker's facial hair?

it's pretty rad

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    How do my Gustavs compare to the top dogs, like Saints, right now?
    I've ridden Gustavs for the last 3-4 years, and switched to the Ones this fall. I also demoed a bike with Saints this summer at Whistler. You're not going to lose much power in the switch. The Saints and Ones are both right up there with the Gustavs. Maybe not quite as powerful, but pretty darn close. You may have to run a slightly larger rotor though. On the Gustavs, you could get away with smaller rotors. On the plus side, you'll lose a bunch of weight; and even more important than that now is the fact that Magura discontinued the Gustavs. I think most everywhere is sold out of the brakes, and it won't be long before you can't buy pads anymore either. I also won't miss the times where dirt got into the holes for the floating calipers which made them not float anymore and caused a ton of drag. It usually worked well, but every now and then those pins got too dirty and pissed me off to no end.