Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Review: 12/13 Dynastar Cham 107

So I got a chance to try this out the other day and I was pleasantly surprised by such a radical shape change in Dynastar's lineup.

My stats:
    Height: 6'0
    Weight:183-ish
    Style: More technical than slarvy, though I can smear around if I want/need. Like to go fast, jump off of features (mostly cliffs, I'll throw some stuff off of some kickers every now and again too), and overall prefer steep terrain best.
    Skis I have skied and enjoyed: Dynastar Legend Prorider 105, 11/12 Black Diamond Zealot, Scott Pure, 10/11 Volkl Gotama, Nordica Zero, Nordica Radict, Atomic Coax, Kastle MX108, Kastle BMX 108, Moment Garbones, Rossignol Sickle, Nordica Patron, Ski Logik Bomb Squad, Liberty Variant, Salomon Rocker^2 115, K2 Pettitor.
    Skis I have skied and did NOT enjoy: Liberty Helix, Rossignol SC97, Armada JJ, Salomon Shogun.
    Skis that I thought were alright: Rossignol Super 7, Atomic Blog, Atomic Bent Chetler, Dynastar XXL, Nordica Blower, K2 Fujas, Nordica Enforcer, Volkl Mantra, Salomon Czar, K2 Side Seth.

First thing noticeable on the Cham series of skis is the drastic change in shape compared to the Legend series of skis that Dynastar has stayed with for so long. Tapered in the tip and the tail the contact points in the sidecut have been moved back drastically. As a result, the turn radius on the Cham is significantly smaller than its Legend predecessor. Initially I was somewhat skeptical on the Cham's edge grip, but was pleasantly surprised to find that I had no problems laying some nasty GS turns down with no slipping on the edges whatsoever. Additionally, laying down turns didn't require that I get the ski up to a whole lot of speed off the bat either. The ski still handles speed very well, I didn't run into any problems with chatter when I got the ski going. The Cham's greatest quality, in my opinion, would have to be its tail. Although it's tapered in the back, there is NO rocker, twin tip, or slight twin tip in the back. This made landing any sort of air very easy to land without any wheelie effect. The completely flat tail in the back also allows you to put a lot of power into the ski as well. Last, the tapered, but very flat tail allows you to burn off a lot of speed in an extremely short amount of space. Overall, think the grip, power, and stability of the LPR 105 mixed with the maneuverability of something like the Salomon Rocker^2 or Atomic Bent Chetler.

As I was only able to try out the 184, I would have loved to see how the 190 version would have compared to it. I will say that the Cham WILL ski shorter than it looks, and I would have no issues upsizing into the larger version of the ski. Unfortunately, Dynastar will be making an 87(I think) 97, 107 and 127 version of the ski, skipping what, in my opinion, would be an extremely versatile 117 version of the Cham.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1048.jpg 
Views:	869 
Size:	547.0 KB 
ID:	109193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg 
Views:	1016 
Size:	841.8 KB 
ID:	109194
    Last edited by MC Slayer; 07-23-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Nice review. Any rocker profile pics?

Unfortunately, no there'll probably be some floating around soon once people get pictures up from SIA.

So have you been chamified? heh

Always been a fan of Dynastar, especially the pro rider. But I think they hit the nail on the head this time, still very 'dynastar-ish' while being a little bit more up to par with a lot of the technology coming out.

So sure, I guess I've been Chamified :P

Thank you, great review. Weird tails, did you feel any funky sensations releasing from turns?

Agreed on the 117 - my thinking being that a 195-196ish, straighter version of the same would be a good option to have in the quiver. Guess that´s what the Igneous, Wagners, Folsoms, Birdos and Progs of the world are for..

Yup, not having a 117 version = missed opportunity for Dynastar.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Thank you, great review. Weird tails, did you feel any funky sensations releasing from turns?
    At first they seemed slightly catchy releasing out of their turns, but it's really just because I wasn't used to the shape, once I got used to it they were fine. Just put a little more pressure into the tips so your tails can release a little bit more.

Nice review MCS. lookin forward to trying those out soon.

In other words, just drive them properly? Sounds sweet. Gotta admit I´m still very much a sceptic regarding the short effective edge and deep sidecut, but guess I´ll have to ski them some day, then.

Intttteresting..

In the same boat with arild, would be nice to do some turns, until then,a bit sceptic about the sidecut.

Did you or your buddies get to ski the 127? Any rumors how it behaved on the snow?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

nice review, couldn't have said it better myself. I was also pretty sceptical at first with the sidecut and tapered flat tail but was pretty stoked on the ski after a few runs. Skied the 178 Cham 97 and the 184 107 even though I would have sized up to the biggest size (184, 190) for both skis if given the option.
    Even at the shorter lengths they were both extremely stable and held their edge great even on somewhat icy conditions. They really don't ski like the radius would lead you to believe unless you really throw them up on edge. Sure, we didn't have much snow and testing conditions weren't ideal but my initial thoughts were the chargeability of the 105 in a ski that can be surprisingly nimble for a 107 waisted, metal core ski.

I haven't ridden the 127 yet but the couple guys that did liked the stability and edge to edge quickness for it's size and were really excited to ski it in soft snow.

good to see that dynastar is getting back to their roots with the 107!

bit sceptic about the sidecut.

[off-topic]
    Meathelmet...Dude. Just read a bunch of your recent comments about sidecuts and ski shapes.

Serioysly: demo a few new skis, try to ski centered (and mount a bit forward), check your boots (maybe less forward lean), check a few recent ski flicks, forget the common mistake that "carving" is the only proper turn method and get into the 2010s...

And yes, I am serious: all the good skiers I know (very good ex-racers included) have changed into the various degrees of "fun shapes" and swear by them, even on telemarks btw. (probably on teles the new shapes are even better).

PS. Call me, or give me a message...if you are home, let's go skiing some little mole hill...I have 3 pairs of different "clown shoes", I'll borrow you some test pair...

[/end of off-topic rant...]

Oh, and I guess tail taper with traditional camber would work pretty well. (older Line SFBs had that shape)
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Quote Originally Posted by Jiehkevarri View Post
    Serioysly: demo a few new skis, try to ski centered (and mount a bit forward), check your boots (maybe less forward lean), check a few recent ski flicks, forget the common mistake that "carving" is the only proper turn method and get into the 2010s...
    heh... have skied few fun shapes, JJs, S7 etc. Just didnt like them. Conditions have not
    been optimal,granted, but still. Definately will have to give them another chance this spring!

Curious if the tip was flappin around while you were railing high speed GS turns??
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Definately will have to give them another chance this spring!
    Yes, I guess you should.

Of course those kind of skis are not optimal for rock hard conditions. But on any 3D snow they give so much more turn shape/style options...and people generally look too much (as said here) on the sidecut radius numbers IMHO. E.g. I feel that on Armada JJ (or my new Line Opus ) you can ski more upright and slarve if you need longer radius then use a bit more hip and use higher angles and get all euro-carve...and on soft snow I feel like I can ski faster even thought I might do a few turns more because I can shut down the speed at will ("McConkey turns" or press the tails and "brake" or in general just make quicker direction changes).

But to each of their own I guess...for me it seems that with this line Dynastar is trying to find a nice combination of the playfulness of the new shapes and predictability/power of their earlier models?
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Is the LP dead? or will these augment that line?
    LP = less sidecut, longer and straightliney-er

I do, however, like the idea of a titanal damp slarvey ski - that part of cham is cool.

Also like not having a flip tail to spray your friends on a groomer

but 21m radius on a 184cm does not seem like a "big mountain" dynastar ski

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Is the LP dead? or will these augment that line?
    LP is no more, which will only heighten its cult status from now on. RIP.

Can you imagine Marker Jester on them?

Having skied both, I believe the LP nostalgia might be treated with the cochise

SPAM alert:
    If you want to try the Cham line in Tahoe I got a couple of demos this week @ Mt. Rose:
    Tuesday, Feb 28th
    Friday, March 2nd @ Mt. Rose with Bobo's.
    Snow coming down now!
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

FYI, I saw a guy on a demo pair 107 in Fernie this past week. He said he got them at The Guides Hut.

Any info on weights on these? Was tempted by the 105 this year, but found the weight a bit off putting.

Quote Originally Posted by Onward View Post
    Any info on weights on these? Was tempted by the 105 this year, but found the weight a bit off putting.
    Says a man who skis 190 Explosivs with NTNs...