Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lessons for sure and am probably going with 4frnt's advice. thanks.

Better yet--let her figure it out herself--do her own posts, talk to shops, etc--she'll enjoy skiing more if it's her thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    yeah, if she wants to enjoy this frat, she's going to have to pay first by using old outdated technology so she can "learn to ski" first, BEFORE having any fun with her guy on the hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get her some leather boots, and 217cm wood skis with strap bindings and a wool sweater and some of those tight wool pants with the stirrup... make her learn, then in 2 years come back to us and she can try some "shaped skis"...
    the only FRATBOY shit spewed here is the idea that nobody should learn any turn mechanics at all, and a turn should be buyable.

I love all the gapershits at my hill who've nearly hit me numerous times because they think they don't need to turn AND they think it's my job to get out of their way! it's great when skis reward laziness, incompetence, and rank selfishness! that's nirvana, bro! beer bong time!

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    the only FRATBOY shit spewed here is the idea that nobody should learn any turn mechanics at all, and a turn should be buyable.
    dude, she's presumably in her mid 20's at least and is just now a "beginner" who is probably just wanting to spend some time making turns with her guy on the hill. Will she become a "skier"? Who knows, but if she just wants to have some fun a couple times per year, why not buy some skis on the rewarding side of the spectrum so she can start having fun today, rather than in 10-12 years when she's amassed enough days on traditional learning tools?

It is supposed to be fun you dick, especially for a S.O. joining you in your #1 hobby.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    ...I am looking to build her a quiver that will make her enjoy skiing with a minimum of struggle.
    read this again Uncle Fogey.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I'd probably give her something with some girth.

On a serious note, I bought my GF some noodley skis from level 9 and bought her some lessons. She is getting better fast, so I let her demo some Worth Marcy's. I have never seen her so excited to ski. She came down and said, "OMG, how much do these cost, will you please buy them for me?" Anyway, I have never seen her so happy to ski. There was a mild amount of fresh snow around and she charged it with a lot more confidence. and steeps. and ice. I was blown away, and not making this up because it's my friends company and the skis are built buy praxis.

Buy her these skis:

http://worthskis.com/shape/

She has similar build etc to your girl. Maybe ten days on snow now? She's at the end of this video in the blue coat:

note: in this season this qualifies as "pow"
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    EP Pro shorty?
    Today was a sweet pow day here in Big Sky and I saw a girl in the tram line with these. Did not talk to her as she was quite a ways ahead of me. But she had an avalung pack with gear so I'm assuming she was a decent skier.

These are dirt cheap, got me thinking about getting a pair for my GF. I know they are marketed towards kids, but the 155 length is probably ok for a smaller woman, right ? Anyone have an opinion ?

Apology to OP for potential thread hijack...
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I've pushed my girlfriend to ski with a Avalung pack + gear full time and she is still a pretty new skier. My thought process is that carrying gear will then feel very natural and the likelihood of being caught without it is greatly reduced or eliminated. I think I've only put one day in this season without my own pack/equipment with me (groomer day) and it felt weird.

Anyway, I'm reiterating my suggestion of the CoreUPT Sonar. They are currently $339 (which is only about $100 more than the EP Pro Shorty sale I think). My girlfriend LOVES them. Raves about them all the time. I've had her demo a lot of skis since she started, so I think she has very well rounded opinion of different skis given that she only has about 40 days total under her belt. I'd say she is an upper intermediate skill level putting a lot of effort into becoming an expert and she skis aggressively. Her skill level far exceeds her time on snow in my opinion. Which it should, because I'm teaching her! *pats self on back*

http://www.coreupt.com/cheap-ski/sonar-2011

edit: She has put a lot more time on them since my last post, so I'm coming back with a stronger recommendation. They are good skis. I'd like to try a pair if they made them in a 195 (I'm 6'4").

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Spend the money on some quality instruction instead. Then go shopping for gear.
    ^^^^ Sound advice. The reality is that powder or any off-piste snow is intimidating to a beginner and, until they can really commit to the fall line turn after turn in some sort of rhythm, a dedicated pow ski will not help much. They will still traverse, stop, turn, traverse, stop, turn, etc etc. Would be better for her to groove an easy turning SHORT (<160) ski now. You'll know when she's really ready.
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"