SeekIng some Anne landers type business advice

I'm on a short list for a major commission for a large home and additional out buildings as part of a large new estate in our area.

I met with the clients yesterday and wanted to drop them a hand written note thanking them for their time and consideration. I havent done this before, but with the economy and the scarcity of choice commissions, any tool I can use to help me set myself apart (above my work and recommendations from clients) is in consideration right now.

My question is do I just make it literally a couple thank you lines or do I lengthen it just a little and add a couple points regarding my qualifications. I don't want to come across as being a pest or hard selling them.

The client remarked he likes architecture from a row house area of our town. I was going to include a couple pics of a house I designed with those very features.

So just wondering does it cross the line and look like just a heavy handed marketing trick or if worded correctly come off as a welcome follow up to an initial meeting (a successful first meeting I believe).
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

A pretty successful architect that I work with quite a bit almost always does a brief follow up email or note, with a reference to something that came up in the meeting (like the row house architecture that you have examples of). Just keep it brief and professional.

The note could be worthwhile as is the mention of something from your conversation to "personalize" it. However, the line between appropriate and desperate is thin.

You'll regret doing too much more than too little.

The fact that you have additional info (the pics) makes it a good move for sure. You are adding value, not just sucking cock.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    The fact that you have additional info (the pics) makes it a good move for sure. You are adding value, not just sucking cock.
    Not the exact choice of words I'd expect from Mrs. Anne landers but I get the point.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    The point is to show class and courtesy. Hopefully that piques their interest to look further into your qualifications. Hitting them over the head with it takes the class out of the equation. In other words kind of like sucking cock as mentioned.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Just make it a thank you note. Express your excitement to help them and what you could do for them that would make them excited to work with you.

Short and sweet wins the day.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    You'll regret doing too much more than too little.
    This is great advice.

I'd keep it to a short and sweet "Thank You" note, with maybe a line referencing the row-house architecture - something about how you enjoyed do that type of design in the past and look forward to doing it again. Again, remember pickels' advice above.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Yeah, I certainly get you want it short and to the point. I've put this to several business associates as well, that's the consensus.

Thanking them for their time and consideration and leaving them with a couple key thoughts from the meeting. One or
    two 3 sentence paragraphs.

don't write in cursive with hearts for the I-dots...

do try some scented paper, a-la Elle Woods.

oh, and probably don't mention TGR.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

So would making little A frame houses out of the capitol "A"'s be out of line ??

If you didn't sell them in your meeting, you aren't going to sell them in a note. So I agree with the short and sweet consensus, still shows professionalism and courtesy.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    If you didn't sell them in your meeting, you aren't going to sell them in a note. So I agree with the short and sweet consensus, still shows professionalism and courtesy.
    Correct, you're probably not gonna repair much damage if you missed the mark in the interview, but if you did well, following up only shows your interest and courtesy for their time.

Let us know if you get the gig.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

short and sweet...and maybe small nude photo of yourself?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Something tasteful.

Have you checked with coach?

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Heh heh heh,

you try and work this angle in the matress business ??

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    Not the exact choice of words I'd expect from Mrs. Anne landers but I get the point.
    Anne Never speaks with her mouth full.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Something tasteful.
    a scratch n sniff

Well, the Earlywood scratch -n-sniff advice seems to have struck a chord with the clients, I've made the now "shorter list" for selection.....

Something I've wanted to do do more than once:

"Thanks for allowing me to interview you as potential clients. You would be a dumb ass if you failed to secure me to provide professional design services for your project with a big fat retainer immediately."

Kidding aside, good luck!
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR