Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tyrolia Adrenalin - new 16 DIN AT binding

I searched and couldn't find anything about these bindings.

Tyrolia AAAdrenalin

Looks like they screwed up the stand height at 36mm but the weight seems good (2620g short / 2650g Long).

Looks like we might see a little price war next year! Marker Dukes + Salomon / Atomic / Scott + Tyrolia / Fischer

i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

I wonder if crossing ski tails while skiing or any kind of impact in that area would cause a unexpected tour mode release. I kind of like that about the duke(marker royals et al), you stand on top of the tour lever. Just spit ballin here since I have no clue about these.

here's hoping its lighter and cheaper than dukes or the solly/atomic AT binder.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    I wonder if crossing ski tails while skiing or any kind of impact in that area would cause a unexpected tour mode release. I kind of like that about the duke(marker royals et al), you stand on top of the tour lever. Just spit ballin here since I have no clue about these.
    I had the exact same thought. Insta-tele? I think after Naxo and Diamir have had these issues in the past it would be on the design brief as something to avoid.

The plus side is you can transition from ski to tour without taking your skis off.

mtskier, you and me both.

Whitedot Freeride

I guess I left Fritschi off the price war list. My bad. Haha.

Whitedot Freeride

I like that it slides on rails like the Duke rather than a spring-loaded latch like the Guardian. This design seems quite solid and stiff. What's too bad is that they didn't design the mode change lever to become the climbing bar like the Fritschi, instead opting for the more fiddly wire bail under the boot.

I gotta say I do like the wide climbing bar right under the heel. That's far superior to my old school Dukes. I'm also curious to see how easy it is to control everything with a ski pole. Any MSRP yet?

I see some good engineering that impresses me

- switching tour or ski mode on the go is a good thing
    -the ski is free flexing
    -good clearance before the nose of the binding hits the ski (an issue which broke markers last year)
    -only 2 sizes of binding so it covers a big range of boot sizes
    -tool-less adjustment
    -the AFD moves instead of toe piece

If nothing else I hope all the competition brings the prices down a bit.

Biggest advantage I see to the Salomon or Tyrolia touring binding is that switching from tour mode doesn't slide your boot back on the ski like the Duke does. That's really the only thing I dislike about the Duke, other than the too-short stock climbing bars.

I'll be watching the Salomon (spring-loaded clips) and Tyrolia (sliding along exposed metal tabs) bindings for icing-up issues too.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I like the reversed (w/ respect to Duke) ramp on the toe height adjustment. Tee Duke one seems to follow the rocker of my AT boots, and therefore requires a large fore/aft range and not altogether satisfactory support. I think this design might work better.

That tour/ski mode looks easy... but not altogether secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_Schmuck View Post
    I had the exact same thought. Insta-tele? I think after Naxo and Diamir have had these issues in the past it would be on the design brief as something to avoid.

The plus side is you can transition from ski to tour without taking your skis off.

mtskier, you and me both.
    would be interested in hearing what the safe guard.

VTsession- this years dukes, barons, f12's etc have a much better climbing bar that is very easily adjusted with your pole. A massive improvement. And the AFD is improved as well. Just putting it out there.

FWIW, anyone doing substantial distance might as well be on Dynafits. These bindings are great for resort skiing with the odd hike, but here's my take:

Priorities:
    - Excellent skiing performance (low stand height, no play, free flexing ski)
    - Durability

What's less important:
    - Light weight
    - Optimal climbing ability at the expense of downhill performance (i.e. if a lower stand height means a farther forward pivot with less ideal climbing ergonomics, so be it)
    - Ease of mode change

I think Marker came pretty close to perfection for bindings in this category, but improvements in durability and stand height would be welcome.

5 minutes of video with no visual of the actual binding. It would be nice to see it not just a computer rendered mock up.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    5 minutes of video with no visual of the actual binding. It would be nice to see it not just a computer rendered mock up.
    Ive seen it in person and not for nothing it looks like cheap fucking plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    If someone crosses ski tails that badly they should just give up and off themselves.

Price point will make or break this binding.

Nice to see a good variety of brake widths (curiously at different numbers than the crampons?).

Very interesting stuff. How is the the first I have heard of these?

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Nice to see a good variety of brake widths (curiously at different numbers than the crampons?).
    Wouldn't the crampons be located at a narrower part of the ski than the brake? so maybe Tyrolia is accounting for that in the varying widths?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Ive seen it in person and not for nothing it looks like cheap fucking plastic.
    /emd thread then.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    If someone crosses ski tails that badly they should just give up and off themselves.
    I laughed. Valid.

Whitedot Freeride

At least it has a sliding AFD (for AT soles), which it sounds like the Guardian/Tracker will not...

Quote Originally Posted by SaSSafraS_LTK View Post
    At least it has a sliding AFD (for AT soles), which it sounds like the Guardian/Tracker will not...
    ppfffttt and it will be repeated that fritschi has been doing it without a slider for a long long time. Heck I frequently run vibrams in any binder with an adjustable toe height. Yeah its it "to spec"? Naaaaaa but personally ive had good results so far. I dont think sliding AFD is make or break for anything in the class of binder.

Again I've seen it and it just looked cheap. This is the biggest difference with a binder like the guardian (and I must admit the new duke w/ wider platform and more metal bits) and this offering from Tyrolia. The guardian and duke have more metal and give that "solid" feeling. This binding from tyrolia did not. I could be totally wrong, obviously i havent skied these yet, but think naxo.. nuff said.

Having the toe wings fixed and adjusting the height of the AFD is a stronger and better design IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Again I've seen it and it just looked cheap. This is the biggest difference with a binder like the guardian (and I must admit the new duke w/ wider platform and more metal bits) and this offering from Tyrolia. The guardian and duke have more metal and give that "solid" feeling. This binding from tyrolia did not. I could be totally wrong, obviously i havent skied these yet, but think naxo.. nuff said.
    Why is everyone so down on plastic? I haven't had a plastic binding break on me so I don't know the pain. There are engineering resins out there that offer the durability and toughness of steel, maybe they just aren't using them? Plastic is the way to go if you want to keep weight down.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbrese View Post
    Why is everyone so down on plastic? I haven't had a plastic binding break on me so I don't know the pain. There are engineering resins out there that offer the durability and toughness of steel, maybe they just aren't using them? Plastic is the way to go if you want to keep weight down.
    Personally I have ZERO issue with it and for sure ski plenty of alpiine bindings that are mostly plastic. However, for the market this targets, the users at least believe they need metal..high din, etc. Just seems shortsighted to not at least cater to this market. Maybe tyrolia wants to tempt weight weenies, but we all know that if you're going light you're going dynafit.
    Ill reserve fianl judgement on this binder for after i actually ski it, or anyone for that matter. Simple fact here we've pretty much known about the guardian for at least a full year and its been out there being tested by some burly skiers. This tyrolia??? Came the fuck out of nowhere really. Yeah there were some rumblings, but whos been skiing it for testing? How long? Hucking? Whats broken? Alka has kept us pretty well informed on the testing he did with the guardian before its release. FYI the guardian just one best new gear at SIA...i believe the tyrolia is there too