Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 34 of 34
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,091

    This sets an impossible standard for the resorts

    Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    I can walk anywhere in the world through any gate. So many gates have an upslope walk or skate necessary to access. The only viable alternative will be to close the full zone. it is a frustrating ruling in a very unfortunate circumstance.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    bottom of the hobacks
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,760
    Well, I would like to think this would go differently at a ski hill owned by another corp. however, after watching Vail full on screw the pooch at PC I absolutely believe that the skeleton crew probably had too much to do and closing the lower gate was missed.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    bottom of the hobacks
    Posts
    463
    ^^^ Have you read the articles or understand the situation??

    Lower gate was opened and should have been open, it's much safer terrain and I don't think anyone in the situation is doubting the safety of opening the lower portion of prima cornice. Seriously, "closing the lower gate was probably missed"...? That's pretty fucking ludacris. I hate to back vail up 99% of the time but the patrol there are professionals and they wouldn't treat gate closures so loosely.

    What is in question is the signage/ropes, or lacktherof prohibiting people from skiing/hiking (this group's scenario) back up into the closed and more dangerous terrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Well, I would like to think this would go differently at a ski hill owned by another corp. however, after watching Vail full on screw the pooch at PC I absolutely believe that the skeleton crew probably had too much to do and closing the lower gate was missed.
    Your more or less right, it's well known that employees are disposable for vail corp. What was once a life long career is now just something to pass the time until you figure out what you want to do in life.

    Super low wages, high ski patrol turn over, lack of years long knowledge of the mountains layout, pretty simple

    ski patrol is being forced by the powers that be in broomfield to open as much terrain as fast as possible, alot of patrolers need many years experience to be good at what they do, many only last two years

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    1,690
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Your more or less right, it's well known that employees are disposable for vail corp. What was once a life long career is now just something to pass the time until you figure out what you want to do in life.

    Super low wages, high ski patrol turn over, lack of years long knowledge of the mountains layout, pretty simple

    ski patrol is being forced by the powers that be in broomfield to open as much terrain as fast as possible, alot of patrolers need many years experience to be good at what they do, many only last two years
    Low wages and turnover may be true. But from what I have read this isn't at all about whether the lower gate was intended to be open or not, it was.

    The question is whether resorts have to explicitly sign that no uphill hiking or traversing into closed terrain is allowed. The lower gate was open on purpose. The victims hiked uphill from that gate into closed terrain.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8,505
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Low wages and turnover may be true. But from what I have read this isn't at all about whether the lower gate was intended to be open or not, it was.

    The question is whether resorts have to explicitly sign that no uphill hiking or traversing into closed terrain is allowed. The lower gate was open on purpose. The victims hiked uphill from that gate into closed terrain.
    That is it in the most basic of terms.

    I always kept a stock of Do Not Hike Above This Sign signs in my inventory for those areas. Many skiers will interpret a situation however is to their advantage unless there is a sign telling them not to. And that is still not guarantee.

    Had Vail put up such a sign there is always the chance it would get ignored or even chucked into the trees.

    This whole thing falls into the Inherent Risk of Skiing. The group skied to a closed gate, cut around and below and hiked up into a closed area. Sucks that one of them died. Lesson learned until the next time.

    When I was at Park City I helped string a mile of flagged rope and signs along ski team ridge saying and indicating that there was no access for a World Cup race. Two young guys duck ed the rope after skiing along and admitted they saw all the signs. Court found against the ski area anyway.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    2,259
    When there is a chase for fresh snow, some peoples minds get clouded or they just dgaf. It is sad but not surprising in the least. Also not really going to stop the next soul most likely. At some point personal responsibility has to come into the picture, but how that really works when dealing with youngsters is troublesome. Adults I have less sympathy for. The answer is clear as mud.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    5,362
    Traversing in below the last closed sign/ gate, is generally acceptable.
    But climbing up is taboo just about anywhere I've skied.
    As much as I hate VR, I think they should prevail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •