Dynafit guide leashes...built in fuse?

Any of you know if the new dynafit guide leashes

http://www.dynafit.com/product/accessories/guide-leash

have a built-in fuse for avy detachment? No details on the link, etc.

These came with my Radial speeds...but I'm going brake-less on my other dyanfits: much lighter and less troubles with snow packing underneath the brake.

Mine don't look like they'd come apart if I wanted them to. My recommendation would be to zip-tie the fixed end to the toe piece instead of a girth hitch. Should do the trick. Maybe experiment first on something other than your binding to test your particular zip-tie's breaking strength.

Zipties, including bigger ones, were two fragile for me, I would have to replace every couple of tours even if I didn't release from my skis. I just put a key ring in the system somewhere and call it good. I have seen a couple deform in big wrecks enough to act like a fuse.

+1 that zipties don't work for me. They are like a 10A fuse when I need a 30A

I've experimented with loops made of upholstery thread or fishing line. Use the correct knot, tie a loop and fix with a girth hitch.

Zip ties = fail for me

Maybe I've always used the wrong ones but they seem to crack very easily in cold and or with any minor ski impact.
    I just don't trust them to be there when I wanted them and not break too easily. On the positive side they'd certainly break in an avy

And no theres no break away component on dynafit guide leashes (at least on last years)

Yep, I tried zip ties: nope, don't even last a day. I heard rumors the swage on the leashes was a fuse, but sounds like it isn't. I'll give key rings a go...

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    +1 that zipties don't work for me. They are like a 10A fuse when I need a 30A

I've experimented with loops made of upholstery thread or fishing line. Use the correct knot, tie a loop and fix with a girth hitch.
    I still get creeped out about fused leashes as far as breaking strength. It’s like prunes. Are 3 enough? Are 5 too many?

I’ve heard a story or two about the B&D fuses failing under minimal force, and my experience with cable tie (zip tie) quality/consistency does not inspire confidence. I’ve picked up cable ties at the hardware store where the teeth were so weak that they broke off during tightening (in a normal cable tie application). I’ve since gone to ordering UV resistant ties from electronic suppliers and they seem more consistent.

Still, I wouldn't trust their long term stability/strength in cold temperatures (brittleness)? How the hell do you test this when you fall only a few times a season and release maybe once?

I’ve thought about Steve’s experiments with nylon thread. In the old daze, I experimented with sewing my own climbing runners. I was too smart to ever use them however ;-)

So, my current thoughts … 1mm accessory cord. Most seem to have a breaking strength of 100 Lbs. Then, there are the ATK Kevlar leashes which have a similar breaking strength, although you’re talking about replacing an entire leash if you break it (at $27/pair).

It seems as if B&D leashes absorb more energy than shorter leashes, so you can get away with weaker links. I’m thinking the big concern is more about tomahawking than avys, ‘coz the forces in an avy are brutal in comparison. If you’re covered for tomahawks, you’re ok in an avy. I ain’t volunteering to test either ;-)

What’s everyone thinkin’ these days?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

B and D. I try to avoid tomahawking in the backcountry but in the regrettable moments I've had there has been no issue blowing the fuse on the leash.