Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    First day of the season at meadows with 6" of fresh dry and the deathwish killed it yet again I can't say enough about this ski from untracked to chop it just destroys. I think I'll be picking up a second pair in the very near future.

Swirlich....sorry I did not get you a decent Hoji v Deathwish comparison.

Skiied 4 of the last 6 days in ice, more ice, wet snow, rain, dirt and then pow again today.

All I can say is that I sold my 184 Deathwishes (did love em, just did not fit) a week or so ago as I had a bloated, multi ski quiver going, and the DW is kind of a 1 ski quiver ski.

But I am doing fine without DWs. So far this season I have been primarily on 182 Belafontes + 187 Hojis or 186 Rens.

If I had to have 1 ski, the Deathwish could be it as it has characteristics of both (smeary in pow like a Hoji, grippy on firmer like a Belafonte).

But I am way happier on the Belafonte when it is really hard or am maching cut up crud. I frickin' love the Belafonte. The 182 feels perfect at -9 (rec). It rips. Has much better grip on ice than the DW. And Belafontes are more stable at speed or pounding over bumps/knolls/crud/bushes as the Belafonte's stiffness blow through all densities/types of snow, from crud to pow to ice no problem. The Belafonte has killed my desire to by 4FRNT Devastators. And Hojis/Rens are unbelievable in pow.

So I prefer the Belafonte + rockered Hoji/Ren approach vs the single ski dual camber/triple rocker approach.

btw.....why would you buy another pair of DWs?

Get a pair of Hojis dammit!

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-03-2013 at 11:03 PM.

I was thinking of picking up the hoji for touring but I might hold off to see how his latest creation "the ravens" stacks up. I'm sold on he ren for bottomless pow though, I'll be keeping my eyes open in the spring for a pair if 196. Thanks K for the review/overview. The deathwish just makes a hell of a one ski quiver now that I sold my prophet 90s automatics and supe turbos that's Ben my daily driver.

Both of you are bad influences!
    As I've opined in other threads, I'm looking for something to replace the Vicik as my mid-season ski. The Deathwish is looking like a strong contender over the Hoji at the moment. Clearly, it's lighter. Seems more versatile? Is that a safe assumption?

I only have insight on the DW maybe Kc can field this question.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Swirlich....sorry I did not get you a decent Hoji v Deathwish comparison.
    Get a pair of Hojis dammit!
    K
    Just to continue the Hoji derail in the DW thread, would you be willing to make the Hoji your primary touring ski? Is its performance on hardpack predictable and solid enough to deal with chalky steeps (not refrozen bulletproof - just wind firm) in the alpine? I don't need to go fast in these situations, but I need a ski that isn't going to do anything weird either. Sell me (and Swirl).

Hi,

If I was to have to pick one primary touring ski (god forbid!) I would pick the Hoji over the Deathwish.

The DW is lighter but not that much lighter. I thought my DWs were 4.7lbs and the Hojis 4.9lbs? The DW would be more versatile if you live in a low snow area. But if there was any soft at all at Baker I just kept taking the Hojis out (over the PBJs, Bibbys and DWs ). My Bibbys, PBJs and DWs are all gone from my quiver....all bought for about $450 and sold for $300 - $350.....fack I would be rich if I did not ski. Replaced with Rens and Belafontes.

Note that the Belafonte - Hoji - Ren might be the perfect trifecta 3-ski quiver. And I bot a new pair of skins last week, and bot the size for the Hoji, not the Ren. I have Sollyfits on my Hojis and Rens (not Belafontes), but can see me skiing Rens when deep inbounds and Belafontes when firm inbounds. And keeping the Hoji set up with the Radicals for sidecountry.

I have had my Hojis out on hardpack days too, they are definitely doable (easier than Rens) in firm conditions. I almost lost my pass ripping groomers too fast on the Hoji. Just don't make any sudden moves at mach. It's all about "flow" with the Hojis.

I have skiied Hojis in wind crust..... not so bad, depends how crusted. I don't really notice that I am on Hojis in shit conditions.....its the conditions that are crap. But I don't think the DW would be that much better if it was really really crunchy, as the DWs are not that stiff/long....my 184 DW was 182 and my 187 Hoji is 185. I have not had my Hojis on sketchy death steeps that are icy.....but Hojis do jump turns and bite well enough on regular snow.

The main reason I say Hoji over DW is that skiing a Hoji in soft snow is pretty much like cheating. I am just way more dynamic, flowy and fast when on Hojis.

Here it is in a nutshell.....

The DW is really good and easy to ski. The Hoji makes it easy for you to ski really good.

Hoji 1
    DW 0

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-28-2014 at 05:30 PM.

KC you really know how to hurt a guys bank account. How many 110-115 can a man have in his quiver. I ski the 190 DW I'm 6'2" 205 would you say the 187 or 195 ( for invoud)

You were one size up on me on the Deathwish....I had 184, you are on 190.

I am 5'7", 175lbs....187 Hoji is perfect. My kid is 5'6" and 130lbs and we are thinking 179s for him.

I would go 195....

PS - No snow at Baker this weekend......I will rip the Hojis on the packed pow and ice and post back here.

K

^^ go 195 for sure. the 87s weren't enough ski for me and you've got some lb's on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Both of you are bad influences!
    As I've opined in other threads, I'm looking for something to replace the Vicik as my mid-season ski. The Deathwish is looking like a strong contender over the Hoji at the moment. Clearly, it's lighter. Seems more versatile? Is that a safe assumption?
    I actually replaced last years Viciks with the DW this year. Was looking for something more "playful" than what the Viciks offer. So far I'm really digging the change. All the above reviews are spot on... Do it.

[SPAM] I'm selling a brand new pair of last years 190s still in plastic for $425 shipped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	145975

You know you want them. [/SPAM]

You guys are killing me! ^^^PM sent.

After all these years of browsing I actually have to make a post...

Im an upper east coaster, travel alot for work and get to spend good time out west each year.

Current ski quiver are 177 Surface Double times (park), 182 4frnt turbos (daily) and looking to add a larger ski for out west and here for the deeper snow. the turbo is a great ski to bomb around with but when it gets deep i gotta get a good lean back to not dive.

Ive basically narrowed it to the hoji or the deathwish, but am looking for some input on if the deathwish is puts in too much overlap. I could also consider governors or bibbys i suppose.

Open to other ideas, but I wont rock the big companies.

6'2 160 tall skinny. advanced out east, ski anything out west just not at mach speed like you crazy mofos. ski the trees alot since thats what you do here. looking for to add to the quiver.

thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme_Vic View Post

Ive basically narrowed it to the hoji or the deathwish, but am looking for some input on if the deathwish is puts in too much overlap. I could also consider governors or bibbys i suppose.

6'2 160 tall skinny. advanced out east, ski anything out west just not at mach speed like you crazy mofos. ski the trees alot since thats what you do here. looking for to add to the quiver.

thanks in advance.
    Disclaimer; I've skied neither the Deathwish or the Hoji. I'm just internet famous.

Cursory observations tell me that the DW is going to be a bit more versatile and probably softer than the Hoji. More playful, too. The Hoji should handle most anything, especially deep snow. Many love both skis for different reasons, though some have said that the Hoji will ski anything just fine, it just want carve as well as the DW on the way back to the lift.

Im an upper east coaster, travel alot for work and get to spend good time out west each year.

Current ski quiver are 177 Surface Double times (park), 182 4frnt turbos (daily) and looking to add a larger ski for out west and here for the deeper snow. the turbo is a great ski to bomb around with but when it gets deep i gotta get a good lean back to not dive.

thanks in advance.
    And if you have not already done so Blister did a pretty solid review of both skis you are looking at...

thanks in advance.
    If looking to keep the Turbo and want a soft snow ski, to use on soft/deeper days Hojis are definitly great.....eg. Surface/Turbo/Hoji is a quiver......

If adding to the above quiver (keeping Turbos).....I would go Hoji or Moment Exit World or new Bibby. I think the term "quiver" implies you want some differences in your various skis for various conditions. If you get a DW, it will become your daily driver and the Turbos will just sit there. ie the DW is a "quiver killer"

Another option is to sell your Turbos......and buy a DW..... as the DW could be a great one ski for your out west trips. And then look to add a new Moment Bibby....eg Surface/DW/new Bibby would be a sick quiver.

I would also consider last years Bibby or an Exit World if you keep the Turbo (instead of a Hoji). I love my Hojis and ski them in many conditions.....but it is a different feel and way of skiing, more fluid, less effort, more speed, less control, more fun, less traditional.....some may feel "sketched out" at first (that feeling goes away as you are having so much fun on the Hojis).

My son and I both sold last years Bibbys....and regret it....we are not hurting as we have lots of skis (Blends, Belafontes, Hojis, YLEs, Rens, Comis) but on trips to Whistler where the conditions can vary a lot in a day, and it is harder to change skis cause you can't park beside the lift, a Bibby would be perfect.

K

Thanks all.

As sick as the new bibbys look, Id have a hard time getting a ski that is as big and dedicated as that. Id still like to rock them out east if we get some dumps. Seen a couple people with real fats and fully chambered out and they seem to be limited by the terrain here. Im sure theyd shine out west though.

I was actually looking at the exit worlds. they seem to be last years bibbys that everybody raves about. Right at that 115 sweet spot. Maybe ill take advantage of there touring speciality and put some dukes or similar on them.

i may be leaning towards the moments not sure which one, as much as i love my turbos ive been thinking about a quiver of surface DT/4frnt devastators 174 (short and real playful, basically small hojis)/ (moments) and if i get a fat bonus or stumble on the bag of cash then getting something that really only comes out for the big trips. think thatd be a killer set of planks.

what yall think

Thanks all.

As sick as the new bibbys look, Id have a hard time getting a ski that is as big and dedicated as that. Id still like to rock them out east if we get some dumps. Seen a couple people with real fats and fully chambered out and they seem to be limited by the terrain here. Im sure theyd shine out west though.

I was actually looking at the exit worlds. they seem to be last years bibbys that everybody raves about. Right at that 115 sweet spot. Maybe ill take advantage of there touring speciality and put some dukes or similar on them.

i may be leaning towards the moments not sure which one, as much as i love my turbos ive been thinking about a quiver of surface DT/4frnt devastators 174 (short and real playful, basically small hojis)/ (moments) and if i get a fat bonus or stumble on the bag of cash then getting something that really only comes out for the big trips. think thatd be a killer set of planks.

what yall think
    The Exit Worlds would be a fine choice. If not, look for last year's Bibbys on closeout; just as versatile as the EW, but cheaper and heavier. Backcountryfreeskier.com has some pairs, I believe.

Sessioned some groomer laps last week on them and I'm still impressed on how well they hold an edge on GS turns. Compared to the Tahoe's, the Deathwish 190cm can make a more rounded carve due to the extra turn radius.

Last edited by skier666; 12-17-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Keeping the stoke alive!

Anyone on the 13/14 version? Does it have the rough topsheet?

Mine has the smooth top sheet but my Exit World's have the rough top sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Mine has the smooth top sheet but my Exit World's have the rough top sheet.
    Why dont all have that topsheet...

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    The Belafonte has killed my desire to by 4FRNT Devastators.
    kc, curious about this statement you made a bit ago. Did you ride the Devastators and what killed your desire? Thanks